Yugioh! Duel Monsters versus Yugioh! 5ds

cardlord

Father where does DM fit in? Or have you decided Yu-Gi-Oh (Dub) = Original? Which it doesn't?

Sorry when you've seen Yu-Gi-Oh and Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters it gets annoying when people refer to Yu-Gi-Oh as the original when its not truly. And tbh Yu-Gi-Oh Pwns alot of the other stuff (as much as I love the twins)

DemonX tough cookies' date=' Season 4 was obv too pr0 for 4Kids.....actually 5Ds just appeared soon enough to save it from dubbie oblivion, whilst falling into itself.

[/quote']

Ive watch it subbed and dubbed. Also im talking about DM.

haven't watched Yugioh

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admit it does have a very good cannot deviate from plot, unlike DM had to because the anime was too fast. Granted Doma was good, and Virtual World sort of borrowed things from the previous series of YGO in relation to Seto's past (although it did add someone who wasn't shown before Noah) even though it was modified.

Father Wolf I recommend you watch.

5Ds has an extremely fast-paced plot, moving from arc to arc seamlessly, without giving the audience any breathing time. Right after Yusei sweeps away his competitors in the Fortune Cup, achieves the title of King, and conquers his rival in an all-or-nothing duel for the second time in a row, he's flung into the new battles against the Dark Signers, who utilize an overwhelming new card type. 5Ds is really a great series because the writers are actually spending time to make the duels as interesting as possible without "inventing" cards that are obviously too overpowered to be used in the real game without being severely weakened.

In the original Yugioh, the duelists did that all the time, from Duelist Kingdom to the final season. There's just too much Deux ex Machina going on in every duel to mention all of them. One example I can think of right off the bat is Yugi's Silent monsters, like Silent Swordsman and Magician. The Level concept was utterly butchered. However, one thing that the original Yugioh it accomplished was theatrical beauty, adding drama into the duels by insane laughing(Yami Bakura and Malik were awesome characters), the flair of drawing cards and activating them, and much more.

5Ds is also a great series because the Speed Duels throw in a sense of urgency in that both duelists are literally scrambling towards the finish line, aiming for victory while rushing across the battlefield at a speed of 300+ mph. This additionally makes the choreography more theatrical when duelists are spiraling out of control whenever they get blasted by a strong attack.

Moreso, the Speed Duels with Yusei pitted against Ushio are a prime example. There's just another dimension behind the duel, one that usually involves beating Ushio as fast as possible: Yusei attempting to get into the hatch that leads to New Domino City in time before the trash starts flowing in or trying to escape the warehouse and find a way out before reinforcements arrive to arrest him. The Speed Duels are beneficial to the series; they don't hurt the series in any way.

Speaking of Yusei, he's a far better protagonist than Atem in that he's just pure hardcore. After the first few episodes, he gets arrested and actually gets tagged with that Security Mark on his face, something that no one was expecting. In the prison, he's tortured but doesn't even complain or whine a bit. He used that deck made up of 40+ random cards to beat the Warden and cheated in that duel as well without any hesitation. And who can forget that Shoryuken he did to the guard?

I probably have a lot more to say but my post will get a bit too lengthy if I try to write down all the good things about 5Ds and its improvements over GX.

as said earlier, GX is a failure due to its lack of quality in the definition of the characters' personalities and in the plot. (as well as character designs)

yugioh DM has a better story in the subbed versions (no big shock there) and I have to say I enjoyed it and is the main fact that made want to start playing.

yugioh (original) is even better. sinse they didn't really need all the super detailed duel monsters' strategies of nowadays to make it interesting, the games actually had alot of variety in the rules and stuff even if they didn't have definite rules.

5ds wins this, all character designs are awesome, you can see how every character has their problems and personality well stated and the protagonist is not an almighty invencible guy (not even the strongest player in the show) in fact, this series doesn't have a definite player that is better than all others...

this programs gives some air of human being to the people in there.. it has some catching stories. it has everything good that the other series had but improved. like they tried really hard in this one..

even 5ds being the 1st place speaking of these shows... I still say kaiba & yami-yugi are the best players.

I did a yugi Deck with banned cards & all the best things yugi ever used and won most of the duels... (it lost to lightsworns though, but hey, I don't have yugi's ability so his Deck together is not as bad as people say ;)

But guys' date=' Dont you remember how awesome GX was? Its the only reason [i']WHY[/i] we keep using Rampart Blaster

You run Rampart Blaster? o_O

[/q

gx sucks and so does blaster.

Me thinkes GX is better! The story is better!

You're not blind' date=' are you?

[/quote']

First of all the GX story is useless. Why would anyone wanna see kids graduating from a school that teaches a childrens card game. Second of all you need to open your eyes and see how GX is hated by most fans.

Ringo on your first post on this topic. You sounded like a real raw fan....then you called Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters the original....

GX doesn't really focus on enough of the main cast of give them that in depth a background. All they gave us was: The background for the Gem Beasts, Edo's Past, Judai's Past and a Past Life, Fujiwara's sad life and the mess he caused, the demolition and rebuilding of Marufuji Ryo, as well as the mess his 'teaching' of Sho caused.

Cardlord, they teach other subjects as well such as Alchemy, remember in the YGO World that Duel Monsters is HUGE, so they wouldn't care, because its probably a very profitable career to go into.

I'm waiting for 4Kids to make JACK the new Kaiba.

It goes.

Yu-Gi-Oh

Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters

Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters GX

Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds

(Within there is YGO R and YGO GX mangas as well as the original manga.)

Thinking about it GX did a lot of character development, even if they looked at the odd thing per character.

It goes.

Yu-Gi-Oh

Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters

Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters GX

Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds

(Within there is YGO R and YGO GX mangas as well as the original manga.)

Thinking about it GX did a lot of character development' date=' even if they looked at the odd thing per character.

[/quote']

if GX didn't lack character development, and as you stated very persuasively in previews comments, its not as far behind as some people may think... then I guess it is concidered failure because of first impressions, after all, I myself tried to like it at first and failed.. I mean... after a couple of weeks what I get is an episode about jaden dueling an experimental monkey that scaped from somewhere in the island that no1 even knew about!, I seriously stopped watching it for like half a year after that... and it didn't help that I only knew the dubbed episodes back then xD

The origonal owns.

5D's is just stupid' date=' Motorcycles? WTF

Duel Disks > Bikes.

[/quote']

I use to think like that when 5DS was just about to make its debut in japan, but if you watch about 5 episodes (dubbed suck but subbed is recomended) you may like it,, who knows? in my opinion it becomes addicting... and the motorcycles are not a brilliant idea but it doesn't actually hurt the show, in fact. it puts emphasis in key desperate moments in some way.. it you don't like the show after watching those first 5 subbed... I don't know what else to say except, okay ... ^-^"

but don't judge too quickly ;)

Well I basically made myself watch 8 episodes of 5Ds in a row (It was Wed and 8 had aired that day), because I was bored, got to 13 and fell in love with the twins.

GX does have development, just not to the depths that previous series (or 5Ds for that matter) that. It really does have its moments though like Season 3 Part 3 and Season 4 (Sorry but 174 ruled all)

Well I basically made myself watch 8 episodes of 5Ds in a row (It was Wed and 8 had aired that day)' date=' because I was bored, got to 13 and fell in love with the twins.

[/quote']

Bah, amatuer. I watched 12 in a row yesterday.

BTW, 5D's is the best.

I preferred Judai's manga lose to his anime loses' date=' because that was just a good twist. (I mean not winning the tournament and Manjoume doing so instead)

[/quote']

Indeed. All of Judai's regular anime losses didn't have the same effect, and he only didn't win the GX tournament because he was too busy saving the world from the king of Andorra or something. It's like they chose his losses specifically to make him look even more overpowered.

On another note, if you think about DM, the Society of Light's recruitment method is a hilarious deconstruction. That, at least, was done reasonably well.

LOL. King of Andorra.

GX actually used the rules, unlike the original series.

Though Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters made me a fan because it was just good.

Jaden's combo's got VERY repititive and Yusei ALWAYS has the same cards.

Atem for teh win ^_^.

5D's very much (how do the young people say it?) was "boyed" by Abridged Series. Motorcycles? Lame and so funny it's unfunny.

• 7 months later...

I have been watching all three. I've seen All the way to Season 3 of GX, Seen about 5 or so Episodes of 5DS and Am starting Battle City in the Duel Monsters (though I skipped Duel Dice and the other Filler where Kaiba had to go to that virtual world and Mokuba was kidnapped..again..but its fine because I've seen bits of it and watch Yugioh Abridged..close enough for Yugioh Filler XD..at least unless its really good.), though I know most of what happens in that whole series. Yes, I didn't watch the animes until recently despite knowing about them for a long time and owning the Cards first.

IMO here's how it goes for me:

Best Plot goes to DM however, best Duels goes to GX. I like GX more because the duels are much more exciting and I like more of the characters more. Sure it jokes around alot and that gets old, but I just like it leagues more. Seriously, at least so far, all of the Duels in the original are mostly putting me to sleep. I guess though I can blame that on being spoiled by GX, but then, the fact I'm saying that shows its superiority in duels. Though I'm not saying its my final verdict until I see more in Battle City, so my opinion may change. Currently though, GX duels are the best.

However plot wise, GX takes longer to get anything done (Plus the whole entirety of Season 2 was a waste of time. Peace of advice: Watch Season 1, read the plot of Season 2 on Wikia, then skip to season 3. I watched almost all of Season 2...trust me, half of season 2 was filler and the other half was dragging stuff out..so again filler but talking about Light being evil [which makes no sense] and talked about the Society of Light until it was blue in the face.) and the basic idea of a Duel Acadamy is stupid. However I loved it anyways. Meanwhile in DM the plot was awesome, though very VERY simliar (but it beats GX by a bit in this area also because it came first)

5Ds is just...wierd. The idea of playing a card game while on motorcycles is stupid at first, but then you get used to it and actually like the series for it being different from the other two. Oddly enough, I actually like this series. Though I'd say I'm still mixed on my opinion of it, guess time will tell though. So far its interesting enough to be amusing when bored though. (Which happens to me often XP)

I'll rate each. My opinion of course.

DM: 7.5 out of 10

GX: 8 out of 10

5D's: 6.5 out of 10.

On another note: is it just me or does every show have its Kaiba? Chazz in GX and Jack in 5Ds..btw I've as of today switched to Sub for the first time..and I'm never going back to Dub again. Nuff said. I'm at where it was just revealed that Johan is alive, and Judai is back from being that Supreme Lord after O Brian beat him. Meanwhile in Duel Monsters I'm at Battle City (sort of) >.> (I'll catch up alot tomorrow no doubt) and in 5D's he just got sent to prison a few episodes ago and whats his name is offering to help him leave the satellite and something about his sign.

I'm glad you found the topic. This will be the official one.

You need to watch GX S4 before making a valid judgement, its darker and far more entertaining. GX does need to learn not to suddenly introduce characters that mess with everything else (Aka Johan who attended that same DA that Manjoume trashed, Fujiwara who was more like a sudden invention for plot (I say that since the Clear Beasts haven't really hit OCG))

You can't say Abridged is close enough to the real thing. Parodies never are.

S2 of GX was important in building up the Hell Kaiser plot, that sprawled through S3 and ended in S4 with his deck ending in Sho's hands. The Light Of Destruction sort of combines with the Dark Justice (Haou) plot in S3, in fact it was why Haou was around, but once again mentioned as an after thought, something GX is famous for.

You missed the best series of YGO, before it was ruined by Magic And Wizards.

5Ds get a move on with 5Ds, its hits episode 83 tomorrow. Which sounds awesome, 5Ds doesn't really kick into gear until after the arrival of the Dark Synchros in 27, the plot works well then. Although after 64-Present, its just been fillers and hints of a new plot so back to S1's format.

I'm glad you found the topic. This will be the official one.

You need to watch GX S4 before making a valid judgement' date=' its darker and far more entertaining. GX does need to learn not to suddenly introduce characters that mess with everything else (Aka Johan who attended that same DA that Manjoume trashed, Fujiwara who was more like a sudden invention for plot (I say that since the Clear Beasts haven't really hit OCG))

You can't say Abridged is close enough to the real thing. Parodies never are.

S2 of GX was important in building up the Hell Kaiser plot, that sprawled through S3 and ended in S4 with his deck ending in Sho's hands. The Light Of Destruction sort of combines with the Dark Justice (Haou) plot in S3, in fact it was why Haou was around, but once again mentioned as an after thought, something GX is famous for.

You missed the best series of YGO, before it was ruined by Magic And Wizards.

5Ds get a move on with 5Ds, its hits episode 83 tomorrow. Which sounds awesome, 5Ds doesn't really kick into gear until after the arrival of the Dark Synchros in 27, the plot works well then. Although after 64-Present, its just been fillers and hints of a new plot so back to S1's format.

[/quote']

First off: the first Yugioh I ever saw was YGO, the manga version (First 7 volumes) and it was abit meh. I liked it, don't get me wrong...Rather dark and somewhat interesting but not as interesting as when they introduced Magic and Wizards, which later changed to being called Duel Monsters. There just wasn't enough consistency to it for me. (Granted I only saw a few chapters or so) So for the record, I've seen some of that and prefer when the card game is introduced. (But am glad it happened later that way we can see what Yugioh is like without it, which is still pretty good as well)

True, it showed alot of Dark Zane (aka hell Kaiser) but to me, other than that..it wasted alot of time. I didn't like Season 2, though I did like how Zane Changed because he was getting boring before that happened (His change made me still like him, one of my favs actually.) and I always loved his deck even if it didn't get redundant with how often he relied on only 3 cards. (Which form Cyber End Dragon) I'm starting Season 4 now (The Yubel arc got boringly redundant so I skipped the last 4-5 episodes of Season 3 and read a plot outline..glad I did because not only did that Duel Drag out needlessly long, but Season 4 reveals that Season 3 was a waste of time because O Brian, Jim and Johan go home anyways...bastards lol)

5D's is still one I'm questioning but so far its only good if you're really bored, which ironicly I often am lol

EDIT: Btw: I found this thread by pure chance while searching for something unrelated on Google (I was trying to find out if what i heard was true: that Dueling Motorcyles existed in Duel Monsters Season 4 filler..which did terrible thus 5D's was considered even dumber of a move by the company that does Yugioh..to me its just interesting tho.) Wish you had provided a link instead like I asked so I could post in here sooner, instead of finding it by chance =p (Glad I found this at all at least lol)

Archived