The Megalith's Ultimate Reform (new Megalith boss monster)

Eddie McBean

So, anyone here ever play megaliths? You ever wanted them to have a boss monster with actual protection? Ever wanted to have some more ritual synergy with the rest of the ritual support the deck runs? well fear no more, for here it is, the very much overtuned card, as in current yugioh, if decks can normal summon 12 times during your turn while using your cards, then this should also be allowed, and no one can change my mind.

spacer.png

Reformed Megalith Helel

Level 12 | Ritual | Rock-Type

Must first be Ritual Summoned.
Ritual monsters you control cannot be targeted and are unaffected by your opponent's monster effects.
Once per turn, you can ritual summon "Megalith" monsters by returning 1 Ritual monster from your GY to the bottom of the Deck as its full cost.
This card gains additional effects depending on how many ritual summons were made (including its own) until it was summoned.
1: Once per turn, you can add 1 "Megalith" monster from your deck or GY to your hand.
2: Once per turn, you can add 1 "Megalith" Spell/Trap card from your Deck or GY to your hand.
3: Once per turn, you can draw 1 card, and if you do; add 1 Ritual monster or Ritual Spell from your GY to your hand.
4: All monsters you control gain 500 ATK/DEF for each Ritual monster on your GY.
5: Once per turn, you can target cards your opponent controls up to the number of ritual monsters on the field; Banish them.
6+: Up to twice per turn, when a Ritual monster you control would be targeted or leave the field by an opponent's Spell/Trap effect, you can return 1 Ritual monster from your GY or hand to the bottom of the Deck; Negate the activation, and if you do, banish it face-down.

3 hours ago, Eddie McBean said:

and no one can change my mind.

haha, welp, you're not too wrong, today's YGO is crazy fast indeed. What I'm quoting worries me as you might be ready to disregard any critique I give, but I'll be honest and say this card is extremely overpowered, regardless of the game's current meta. A card that sports 2 base effects which are rather good by themselves accompanied by another whooping 6 effects, almost each one stronger than the previous, and one of them set to become a thing since the monster's own Summon counts. Before proceeding with each effect, I'd like to address two things:

First effect says: Ritual monsters you control cannot be targeted and are unaffected by your opponent's monster effects.

It's a bit ambiguous. It would seem that you want to say the effects are separate, as in, 1) cannot be targeted by anything at all, and 2) unaffected by opponent's monster effects. But it kinda also reads as both things apply for the monsters effects (which is a bit redundant since complete immunity makes the anti-targeting somewhat unnecessary). It'd be good to clear what's your intention with this effect, and in case the targeting is vs everything, that means everything, including your own effects, even from other Megalith cards, and you might not want that.

Secondly, the concept of "number of Rituals prior to Summon = additional effects" is cool, I mean it, but... ooof, pretty unorthodox. You'd have to rely on remembering them and the opponent either keeping count as well or believing you. "depending on how many ritual summons were made (including its own) until it was summoned." From the start of the Duel, you mean, right? Again, a rather experimental thingy that is kinda not bound to work. To be honest, given the brutal power this card can get, I'd change it so it makes more sense with an effect such as:

You can reveal this card from your hand, and keep it revealed. Each time you Ritual Summon a Megalith Ritual Monster, note it. This card gains the following effects based on the number of Summons noted

Just in case you haven't seen an effect of sorts, the note system does exist in the official gameplay. Anyway, this version makes more sense, and at the same time lowers the power of the card, while making the count... count only for the revealed card, not every copy lurking on Deck or GY.

Now, back to the effects, imagine this:

You Summon it after 6 Rituals (mid game, then). So this card grants super protection, then if you have those 6 Rituals in GY, welp, 3000 ATK/DEF for all of your monsters. Has a OPT Ritual Summon effect, let's you add any archetypal monster, let's you add any archetypal Spell/Trap to hand, let's you draw 1 card, let's you add a Ritual, banishes like a champ in a way Envoy of the Beginning would be embarrassed about and can negate stuff, ALL OF THIS ONCE PER TURN (except the negating effect, which applies twice). And guess what, these are all soft Once per turn clauses (SOPT), so if this card were to be changed to face down and back to face up the same turn, you can re activate all effects, and copies of this card CAN use all of those effects. It's just... insane, I'm afraid.

In short, this card desperately needs a HOPT, a clause which only lets you control 1, and a max of 4 effects in total, and that's going a bit far.

I hope you don't take this review in a bad way. My intention is only to help, but yeah, it requires work, in my humble, non-expert opinion

See ya around n.n

19 hours ago, Eddie McBean said:

Must first be Ritual Summoned.
Ritual monsters you control cannot be targeted and are unaffected by your opponent's monster effects.
Once per turn, you can ritual summon "Megalith" monsters by returning 1 Ritual monster from your GY to the bottom of the Deck as its full cost.
This card gains additional effects depending on how many ritual summons were made (including its own) until it was summoned.
1: Once per turn, you can add 1 "Megalith" monster from your deck or GY to your hand.
2: Once per turn, you can add 1 "Megalith" Spell/Trap card from your Deck or GY to your hand.
3: Once per turn, you can draw 1 card, and if you do; add 1 Ritual monster or Ritual Spell from your GY to your hand.
4: All monsters you control gain 500 ATK/DEF for each Ritual monster in your GY.
5: Once per turn, you can target cards your opponent controls up to the number of ritual monsters on the field; Banish them.
6+: Up to twice per turn, when a Ritual monster you control would be targeted or leave the field by an opponent's Spell/Trap effect, you can return 1 Ritual monster from your GY or hand to the bottom of the Deck; Negate the activation, and if you do, banish it face-down.

I may be wrong but isn't "can't be targeted" and "unaffected" redundant if put together?

At least say the returned monster must have an equal ideally higher level.

The way this is currently worded you only can gain one of these effects which is perfect as you can work out the timing of the summon.

The only effects I'm concerned about are 4 and 6.

4- you can easily get you rituals in the GY and get ATK over 4k and your monsters are unnefected by other card effects so that's a no. Just make it ~200-300 a monster and you're good. (PS can you change the protection to "unnefected by other monster effects? Just so you can't do some crazy stuff)

6- This effect does nothing because your monsters are unaffected by card effects. Just make it a spell trap negate in general by returning rituals and it's still fine.

Rayfield (quoting in an edit is tough):

haha, welp, you're not too wrong, today's YGO is crazy fast indeed. What I'm quoting worries me as you might be ready to disregard any critique I give, but I'll be honest and say this card is extremely overpowered, regardless of the game's current meta. A card that sports 2 base effects which are rather good by themselves accompanied by another whooping 6 effects, almost each one stronger than the previous, and one of them set to become a thing since the monster's own Summon counts. Before proceeding with each effect, I'd like to address two things:

First effect says: Ritual monsters you control cannot be targeted and are unaffected by your opponent's monster effects.

It's a bit ambiguous. It would seem that you want to say the effects are separate, as in, 1) cannot be targeted by anything at all, and 2) unaffected by opponent's monster effects. But it kinda also reads as both things apply for the monsters effects (which is a bit redundant since complete immunity makes the anti-targeting somewhat unnecessary). It'd be good to clear what's your intention with this effect, and in case the targeting is vs everything, that means everything, including your own effects, even from other Megalith cards, and you might not want that.

I suggested flat unaffected immunity including to card effects including your own so you can't do book shenanigans.

Secondly, the concept of "number of Rituals prior to Summon = additional effects" is cool, I mean it, but... ooof, pretty unorthodox. You'd have to rely on remembering them and the opponent either keeping count as well or believing you. "depending on how many ritual summons were made (including its own) until it was summoned." From the start of the Duel, you mean, right? Again, a rather experimental thingy that is kinda not bound to work. To be honest, given the brutal power this card can get, I'd change it so it makes more sense with an effect such as:

You can reveal this card from your hand, and keep it revealed. Each time you Ritual Summon a Megalith Ritual Monster, note it. This card gains the following effects based on the number of Summons noted

I think if it counts within the turn, it would be better because this deck cranks out ritual summons and can easily hit 6 and it is easy enough to remember. Funny you just told me something simmilar with my Fur Hire. Deja Vu

Just in case you haven't seen an effect of sorts, the note system does exist in the official gameplay. Anyway, this version makes more sense, and at the same time lowers the power of the card, while making the count... count only for the revealed card, not every copy lurking on Deck or GY.

I guess this accomplishes something similar and actually gives more power/versitility than my version.

Now, back to the effects, imagine this:

You Summon it after 6 Rituals (mid game, then). So this card grants super protection, then if you have those 6 Rituals in GY, welp, 3000 ATK/DEF for all of your monsters. Has a OPT Ritual Summon effect, let's you add any archetypal monster, let's you add any archetypal Spell/Trap to hand, let's you draw 1 card, let's you add a Ritual, banishes like a champ in a way Envoy of the Beginning would be embarrassed about and can negate stuff, ALL OF THIS ONCE PER TURN (except the negating effect, which applies twice). And guess what, these are all soft Once per turn clauses (SOPT), so if this card were to be changed to face down and back to face up the same turn, you can re activate all effects, and copies of this card CAN use all of those effects. It's just... insane, I'm afraid.

In short, this card desperately needs a HOPT, a clause which only lets you control 1, and a max of 4 effects in total, and that's going a bit far.

actually immunity from your own effects and fixing effects 4 and 6 solve the main issues. No twice per turn unless you get 2, it has to be ritual summoned to gain the effects (is another clause to be added), and it sits as a powerful but balanced boss!

I hope you don't take this review in a bad way. My intention is only to help, but yeah, it requires work, in my humble, non-expert opinion

You always give great advice but you missed that none of the first 5 numbers had a + which really skews your perception.

See ya around n.n

1 hour ago, Loleo said:

You always give great advice but you missed that none of the first 5 numbers had a + which really skews your perception

The lack of + is most likely a problem in the card's grammar, and it might be the case that you're understanding the effect wrong, for the single fact that the card says "This card gains additional effects" That very much sounds like accumulation, not different effect depending on the number of Ritual Summon. Unfortunately, regardless of which of us is right, we can only assume so far as either way the wording is leaving doubts for now, so it's not our fault whoever is wrong while the other happened to assume the actual intention xD.

If it's only 1 of the effects, then

This card gains 1 of the following effects based on the number of Ritual Summons performed prior to this card's Summon +1.

Then proceed to bullet the effects with number without +. The wording used here is clearer and shortened as it uses the +1 to avoid saying (including it's own).

If it's a cumulative effect:

This card gains the following effect(s) based on the on the number of Ritual Summons performed prior to this card's Summon +1.

Each bulleted number, this time, with the +

So yeah, PSCT matters

yeah, the point on this was never for it to be balanced, but more to encompass the entirety of the Megalith Archetype into 1 big boi card. Every one of the 7 effects it has (except the negating card effects one, which is its own thing) are all stronger forms of the 7 megalith monsters.

the Using ritual monsters from the GY as full material is an evolved for of Phul's effect;

the effect to add a ritual monster from the GY or deck is an evolved form of ophiel's effect;

The one to add Megalith spells and traps are a stronger form of Hagith's effect;

The one to draw a card and add a ritual monster or spell to the hand is a much stronger effect evolved from Och's;

The huge attack boost is a stronger form of Phaleg's (and was purposefully made to be much stronger);

The ability to banish a lot of cards per turn is a very much stronger version of Bethor's effect, which just destroys things when it was ritual summoned;

And last but not least, the effect to stop the only other lack of protection it has is circumvented by the evolved effect of Aratron;

I deliberatly made it so the last effect is by far the most useful, as I've played Megaliths for a while, and even on a god hand it's extra hard to ever get 6+ ritual summons in a turn, let alone them being succesfully summoned without being negated.

I appreciate the criticism, but I wanted to clear that one up. And yes, it would get all 6 effects if 6 ritual summons were made.

I also dislike the yugioh way of writing effects, which is why it seems confusing sometimes (you could say I'm using the manga effects writing to base the on, or something, since those are vague as all hell too)

Oh, and only monster effects don't affect the monsters you control when its summoned, which is way effect 6 exists, yeah, that one I do take fault on not putting it in parenthesis or something, whoops.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived