Cthulhu Mythos Archetype (ongoing)

Noumenon

Introduction (this is my first post):

So I was really excited when I found out that there were Cthulhu Mythos inspired cards in Yu-Gi-Oh, but then I was quickly disappointed when I looked at them. They don't really fit the themes of the mythos imo, so I created a set of cards directly based on the Great Old Ones, Outer Gods and other beings from the mythos. Since Level 11 has the least amount of monsters, I decided to give that Level to the cosmic gods and create cards and effects directly revolving around Level 11. 

This archetype's strategy revolves around desrupting your opponent's game (mainly by attacking their hand), playing with your graveyard and Ritual Summoning from your Graveyard. Since most of the monsters are DARK Fiend-Type and have graveyard effects, I imagine that they would best fit inside of a Dark World deck. Even though this is the casual section, I still tried to keep the cards somewhat balanced and give them a good amount of weaknesses (although since they are supposed to be all-powerful deities, their effects are relatively powerful). A few of these cards (like Necronomicon) also give some minor support to Yubel, one of my favorite cards from the anime. 

Edits (I will continue to update this post and add new cards):

First Edit:
-Nerfed Deep One
-Made it harder to summon the Great Old Ones
-Slightly buffed Cthulhu
-Nerfed Nephren-Ka
-Nerfed Azathoth
-Nerfed/Adjusted Cosmic Alignment

Second Edit:
-Adjusted Summoning of the Lesser Gods
-Reworked Nephren-Ka
-Reworked Outer Gods to Xyz Monsters
-Added "Abhoth, Outer God"
-Reworked Dark Young
-Added "Flying Polyp"
-Adjusted The Colour out of Space

Third Edit:
-Buffed Nyarlathotep

The Lesser Gods:

756932247_SummoningoftheLesserGods.jpg.d89c96a7ee150d0584dcd8ebddaebb3f.jpg

Summoning of the Lesser Gods

Spell Card / Normal

Target 1 "Level 9 or higher DARK Fiend-Type monster in your Graveyard: Special Summon the target to your side of the field.
If the target's Summoning was successful, you may add 1 Spell Card from your  Graveyard to your hand (except "Summoning of the Lesser Gods").

dagon.jpg.6691e64dd90a0d7ad907c7bfc3bf94b8.jpg

Dagon

Effect / Level 9 / WATER / Fish / 2700 ATK / 2100 DEF

This card is also treated as a Fiend-Type DARK monster. Can only be Special Summoned from your Graveyard.
When this card is successfully Normal or Special Summoned, you can add 1 "Deep One" from your Deck to your hand.
If this card is used for the Ritual Summoning of a Level 11 Ritual Monster, draw 2 cards. 
If this card is sent to your Graveyard from your side of the field, you may add 1 Level 11 monster from your Deck to your hand.

761473791_DeepOne.jpg.1a1a07ab8435638fc264842dae1fdd62.jpg

Deep One

Effect / Level 3 / WATER / Fish / 1600 ATK / 900 DEF

If you control 1 or more face-up Level 11 or Level 9 Monster(s), you can Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard.
When this card is destroyed or sent to the Graveyard, you can send 1 "Dagon" from your Deck to your Graveyard.

Atlach-Nacha.jpg.8f243a9b48666b4865449c533171b9ad.jpg

Atlach-Nacha

Effect / Level 9 / EARTH / Insect / 2400 ATK / 1900 DEF

This card is also treated as a Fiend-Type DARK monster. Can only be Special Summoned from your Graveyard.
When this card is successfully Normal or Special Summoned, change all monsters in face-up Attack Position to face-up Defence Position.
For every monster whose Battle Position was changed by this effect, you may send 1 Fiend-Type monster from your Deck to your Graveyard.

996532489_ShuddeMell.jpg.7a7767f8a79943cf333be28a3eb25479.jpg

Shudde M'ell

Effect / Level 9 / EARTH / Reptile / 2300 AK / 1500 DEF

When this card is successfully Normal or Special Summoned, you must target up to 2 cards your opponent controls: 
Negate those target's effects, and if you do, destroy them.
During the End Phase of the turn this card was Summoned, add as many Level 7 or higher Fiend-Type
monsters from your Graveyard to your hand as your opponent has cards on their side of the field.

Nephren-Ka.jpg.a22986d8153d1d7ef294fe8929235f8a.jpg

Nephren-Ka

Effect / Level 9 / DARK / Zombie / 2500 ATK / 1300 DEF

This card is also treated as a Fiend-Type monster. Can only be Special Summoned from your Graveyard, except by the effect of "Nyarlathotep, Ourer God".
When this card is successfully Normal or Special Summoned, you can discard up to 2 cards and draw the same amount of cards from your Deck.
If there is at least one Spell Card among the cards you drew, you may add 1 card from your Graveyard to your hand.
Once per turn: Have this card's Level become 11 until the end of this turn. 

The Great Old Ones: 

486869138_CallofCthulhu.jpg.8f083c4b130ecfe9418a2c5080a31310.jpg

Call of Cthulhu

Spell Card / Ritual

This card can be used to Ritual Summon "Cthulhu, Great Old One" from your Graveyard.
You must also Tribute monsters from your hand and/or field whose total Levels exactly equal 11 (Except "Great Old One" monsters).
This card's activation cannot be negated.

789522047_Cthulhu-GreatOldOne.jpg.015893be354acd31b7c7042a6770fc04.jpg

Cthulhu, Great Old One

Ritual / Level 11 / DARK / Fiend / 3400 ATK / 2800 DEF

You can Ritual Summon this card with "Call of Cthulhu". Must first be Ritual Summoned. Can only be Special Summoned from your Graveyard.
If your opponent draws a card from their deck outside of their Draw Phase, you can reveal this card in your hand and send it to your Graveyard.
Unaffected by your opponent's card effects (Once per turn, your opponent can discard 1 card to negate this effect for the rest of this turn).
If this face-up card inflicts battle damage to your opponent, skip their next Draw Phase.

1900908861_TheWhispererinDarkness.jpg.838187fc5cc01b7bac82b16edb77fb12.jpg

The Whisperer in Darkness

Spell Card / Ritual

This card can be used to Ritual Summon "Hastur, Great Old One" from your Graveyard.
You must also Tribute monsters from your hand and/or field whose total Levels exactly equal 11 (Except "Great Old One" monsters).

2093770166_Hastur-GreatOldOne.jpg.43ae1e35a804849c1717b55aa9c805c8.jpg

Hastur, Great Old One

Ritual / Level 11 / DARK / Fiend / 3100 ATK / 3100 DEF

You can Ritual Summon this card with "The Whisperer in Darkness". Must first be Ritual Summoned. Can only be Special Summoned from your Graveyard.
If this card is sent from your Deck to your Graveyard, your opponent must banish 1 monster from their Extra Deck.
This face-up card cannot be targeted by card effects and cannot be destroyed by battle.
Once per turn, during your opponent's Standby Phase:
Your opponent must either discard 1 card or banish the top card of their Deck face-down.
During your opponent's End Phase: If either player has no cards in their hand, banish this card.

460754069_ForsakenLore.jpg.57209aa8b957387b62206be98e7fdb49.jpg

Forsaken Lore

Spell Card / Ritual

This card can be used to Ritual Summon "Yig, Great Old One" from your Graveyard.

1566737834_Yig-GreatoldOne.jpg.956cdbddbd7498488a2407d50b7acf87.jpg

Yig, Great Old One

Ritual / Level 11 / DARK / Fiend / 3500 ATK / 2300 DEF

You can Ritual Summon this card with "Forsaken Lore". Must first be Ritual Summoned. Can only be Special Summoned from your Graveyard.
When this card is successfully Ritual Summoned, destroy all cards in your opponent's Spell/Trap Card Zone.
If this face-up card is targeted by an opponent's card effect, you can banish this card in order to negate that effect and destroy that card;
you can then Special Summon 1 Fiend-Type Monster from your Graveyard.
During your third Standby Phase after this card was banished, return it to the Graveyard.

375205587_ComingoftheWind-Walker.jpg.cf38ebce4d147c6a43d6f72e9a7eb6cd.jpg

Coming of the Wind-Walker

Spell Card / Ritual

This card can be used to Ritual Summon "Ithaqua, Great Old One" from your Graveyard.

1981037915_Ithaqua-GreatOldOne.jpg.c0f6c3f32f73bbdf20f7b5fa8e0f322f.jpg

Ithaqua, Great Old One

Ritual / Level 11 / DARK / Fiend / 3800 ATK / 3200 DEF

You can Ritual Summon this card with "Coming of the Wind-Walker". Must first be Ritual Summoned. Can only be Special Summoned from your Graveyard.
When you Special Summon a Level 11 monster to your side of the field, you can reveal this card in your hand: Send this card to your Graveyard and draw 2 cards.
When this card is successfully Ritual Summoned to your side of the field,
you can Special Summon 1 Level 11 Ritual Monster from your Graveyard to your side of the field in face-up Defence Position (if possible).
As long as there is at least one other Level 11 monster on the field, this card cannot be targeted or be destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

Outer Gods:

1948799231_yog-sothothxyz.jpg.a4220e0e9686faea6913412a87d04f8c.jpg

Yog-Sothoth, Outer God

Xyz / Rank 11 / DARK / Fiend / 0 ATK / 0 DEF

2 Level 11 monsters.
Must be Xyz Summoned and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways.
Once per turn: Detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to reveal your opponent's hand
(if the detached Xyz Material was a Ritual Monster, you may also choose 1 card from your opponent's hand and banish it).
When there are no Xyz Materials attached to this card:
Return this card to your Extra Deck and add 1 card from your Banished Zone to your hand.

2122764893_shub-niggurathxyz.jpg.cd02fa9844986850cd8bdc872cf88455.jpg

Shub-Niggurath, Outer God

2 Level 11 monsters.
Once per turn: Detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to Special Summon 1 monster from your Graveyard
(if the detached Xyz Material was a Ritual Monster, Special Summon 2 monsters instead).
You can only activate the effect of "Shub-Niggurath, Outer God" once per turn.
Return this card to your Extra Deck and add 1 Spell Card from your Graveyard to your hand.

996084208_nyarlathotepxyz.jpg.45693a773b5efeeb7f99f25d55cf11f3.jpg

Nyarlathotep, Outer God

Xyz / Rank 11 / DARK / Fiend / 0 ATK / 0 DEF

3 Level 11 monsters.
If there are at least 2 Xyz Materials attached to this card that are also Ritual Monsters, this card cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects.
Once per turn: Detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to add 1 card from your Deck to your hand.
Return this card to your Extra Deck and Special Summon 1 "Nephren-Ka" from your hand, Deck or Graveyard.

abhoth.jpg.10d43110dec6aa50e4a17a3ae0ac9d13.jpg

Abhoth, Outer God

2 Level 11 monsters.
Once per turn: Detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to Tribute Summon 1 "Abomination" Token (Fiend-Type/DARK/Level 5/ATK 0/ DEF 0) to your opponent's side of the field.
(if the detached Xyz Material was a Ritual Monster, Tribute Summon 1 "Horrid Abomination" Token (Fiend-Type/DARK/Level 7/ATK 0/DEF 0) instead).
Return this card to your Extra Deck and Special Summon 1 monster from your hand.

1309948764_azathothxyz.jpg.a5ce7ab2f2a9edded603c0758196a109.jpg

Azathoth, Outer God

Xyz / Rank 12 / DARK / Fiend / 0 ATK / 0 DEF

4 Level 12 monsters.
You can also Xyz Summon this card by using 3 Rank 11 "Outer God" Xyz Monsters as the Xyz Material.
(Xyz Materials attached to those monsters also become Xyz Materials on this card).
Unaffected by card effects.
You can detach all Xyz Materials from this card to banish the same number of cards from your opponent's hand and/or field as the detached Materials.
You can only use the effect of "Azathoth, Outer God" once per duel.
Return this card to your Extra Deck and draw 1 card.

Support cards:

1145961458_CosmicAlignment.jpg.382c3de3d51d744c7e512e0f33935d44.jpg

Cosmic Alignment

Spell Card / Normal

Send 1 Level 9 or higher Fiend-Type monster from your Deck to your Graveyard and add 1 Level 9 or higher Fiend-Type monster from your Deck to your hand.

necronomicon.jpg.cd2ff2f4a1d58d30ffae727c3fb5d74a.jpg

Necronomicon

Spell Card / Continous

Banish 1 Ritual Monster in your Graveyard to activate this card.
As long as this card remains face-up on your side of the field, all of your DARK Fiend-Type monsters with 0 ATK and 0 DEF gain 3000 ATK and 3000 DEF.
Once per turn:
If either this card or a DARK Fiend-Type monster you control would be targeted by a card effect,
you can banish 1 Spell Card in your Graveyard in order to negate that effect, and if you do, destroy that card.

1602159059_thecolouroutofspace.jpg.6d4b16494a188faeac6e50d93797be9c.jpg

The Colour out of Space

Spell Card / Quick-Play

Activate only when you perform a Ritual Summon of a Level 11 Ritual Monster.
Add the monsters that were Tributed for the Ritual Summon  from your Graveyard to your hand; then draw 1 Ritual Spell from your Deck.
During the End Phase of this turn, banish all cards that were added to your hand by this card's effect from your hand, field, or Graveyard.
You can only use the effect of "The Colour out of Space" once per turn.

143100110_ElderThing.jpg.bf541a9215116ac99b061a3e86e4239b.jpg

Elder Thing

Effect / Level 2 / DARK / Fiend / 800 ATK / 1000 DEF

Once per turn: during your Main Phase: Reveal 1 Ritual Spell in your hand to target 1 Level 9 or Level 11 monster on your side of the field:
Change the target's Level to whatever you want until the end of the Main Phase. 

996485975_DarkYoung.jpg.1f660da257ce112727f746e28b68e87c.jpg

Dark Young

Effect / Level 4 / DARK / Fiend / 1900 ATK / 1000 DEF

When this card is Special Summoned from your Graveyard by a monster card effect, your opponent must discard 1 card.
As long as there is at least 1 face-up "Outer God" monster on your side of the field, this card gains 600 ATK.

280865694_FlyingPolyp.jpg.3f17a919c7adc6bc1d5ef7c8e75487a3.jpg

Flying Polyp

Effect / Level 1 / DARK / Fiend / 900 ATK / 300 DEF

When a Fiend-Type monster is Special Summoned from your Graveyard, you can Special Summon this card from your hand.
Once per turn (Quick Effect): If this card is face-up on your side of the field, target 1 Xyz Monster on the field;
detach all of the targeted monster's Xyz Materials; then pay 400 LP for every Xyz Material that was detached by this effect.

These are all the cards, let me know what you think!

Art Sources:

Colour out of Space: https://www.pinterest.it/pin/482025966366659710/
Necronomicon: http://robertholm.com/lovecraftian-art-necronomicon-by-riccardo-rullo/
Cthulhu: https://www.reddit.com/r/Lovecraft/comments/f9wm9j/cthulhu_drawn_by_a_japanese_artist/
Elder Thing: https://lovecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Elder_Thing
Nyarlathotep: https://www.pinterest.it/pin/413768284496559841/
Dark Young: https://lovecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Shub-Niggurath
Deep One: https://www.reddit.com/r/Lovecraft/comments/e3qnw3/deep_one_by_jason_engle/
Call of Cthulhu: https://www.ilcineocchio.it/cinema/miti-di-cthulhu-benioff-e-weiss-alla-regia-delladattamento-del-fumetto-lovecraft/
The Whisperer in Darkness: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petersengames/hastur-rising
Hastur: https://lovecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Hastur
Dagon: https://lovecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Dagon
Forsaken Lore: https://lovecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Yig
Shudde M'ell: https://vladgeneralov.artstation.com/projects/RY9E8m
Coming of the Wind-Walker: https://lovecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Ithaqua,_mist_form_(Demonbane).jpg
Azathoth: https://www.reddit.com/r/Lovecraft/comments/7f6yrq/azathoth_by_claudio_bergamin/
Flying Polyp: https://lovecraftianscience.wordpress.com/tag/flying-polyps/

The rest of the artworks are from "Eldritch Horror", a board game made by Fantasy Flight Games. 

• Noumenon changed the title to Cthulhu Mythos Archetype (ongoing)

Welcome to ycm and congrast on your 1st post!

A bit of disclaimer when im reviewing set this big im usually doing it in parts and it gets even harder is i try to do it in my 15-ish or less cm phone screen. But i will try my best to finished it despite though is can't really gives full promises

In general: well they badly worded and can be hard to understand sometimes, but thats okay you will learn as you go. Now i kinda understand the complaint about the lack of lovecraftian loreproof characteristic with the korean OCG's Entities series we have but as a series of card that supposed to work together they need to be designed with synergy or even genericness while in here you try to cram as many gimmick as you possibly can despite the "GY manipulation + ritual summon" on the tin. And it kinda dont help that the cards work in extremely xenophobic manner that you completely rely on eithe luck or sheer imbalance effect they have. This is where konami design shine abit better, sure the og series has 3 seperate playstyle but not only they quite faithful to the major factions of a bit simplified lovecraft cosmology they also generic enough to either support each other or the deck they splash in 

Summoning: summon a very specific cards with a bonus of generic spell search. The bonus is a bit too powerful given that it search anything in this game 

Dagon: a start of probably the only gimmick that is consistant. Extra DARK fiend typing and inability to be special summoned except from GY. The draw 2 as rite tribute is good and if you manage to summon it first it has addtional search upon ritual. Well it also add deep ones on summon but either i missed it or the deck dont faciliate summons of the big non-ritual monster unless you fetch summoning...so it usually end as bricks 

Deep ones: it has lack of opt on the summon effect but ironically its not ideal to spam these for link play. Well it foolished Dagon...i dont really see merit other than being 1 card ritual with on summon dagon or luck-spam card 

atlach-nacha: mass position changer that also act as mass-foolish burial . is kinda niche ngl. but quite scary when you send a number of significant cards.

shudde m'ell: ok that double negate + destruction is pretty brutal. and even more brutal hand refill per opponent board which obviously need balance by principle

call: pretty standard ritual spell with a bit exception that it has anti-negate build in. i guess its fine as it is though you need to note that your opponent can still respond to something that isn't negation. you dont need to proof that though

c'thullu: a bit of trivia. im maybe not dive too deep but as a fellow fan of lovecraftian cosmology works i do love c'thullu. with that being said, it can be discarded as advantage disruption. and happen to have nigh-complete immunity, phase skipping effect, tact on really big body which is quite OP combo but thankfully the immunity can be switch off. its quite good honestly

4 hours ago, Dokutah Jolly said:

A bit of disclaimer when im reviewing set this big im usually doing it in parts and it gets even harder is i try to do it in my 15-ish or less cm phone screen. But i will try my best to finished it despite though is can't really gives full promises

Hey, thanks for reviewing my cards! Just wanted to let you know that I'm currently changing the Outer Gods to Rank 11 Xyz monsters and adjusting their effects to be more generic/synergistic. 

Archived