Number 35: Ravenous Tarantula

Number35RavenousTarantula-PGL3-EN-GScR-1

2 Level 10 monsters
All monsters you control gain ATK and DEF equal to the difference between your LP and your opponent's. While this card has Xyz Material, each time your opponent Special Summons a monster(s), inflict 600 damage to your opponent. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; destroy all face-up monsters your opponent controls with ATK less than or equal to this card's.

In terms of relevance, the ATK Gain > Raigeki > burn.

De facto boss of Darklords, because it simply rewards you for playing and is made with 2 copies of Ixtab, aka the best Darklord.

Shame I can't summon 2 of her in a turn without tribute summoning, let me make spooderdude suiper quickly qq

Just that first effect is gorgeous. Your LP doesn't have to be higher (or specifically lower), and it buffs ALL your monsters. The burn effect has no cost, and is mandatory, for better or worse, since it might lower the ATK buffs if you were losing.

And that Raigeki effect is mean, because you can follow it up by killing them that turn, with every chunk of damage possibly increasing the ATK buff if you were winning at the time.

This is one of the coolest Rank 10s, in my opinion, just because of all the crazy stuff it can do, and then it can still Rank Up into Seven Sins if that's preferred for the consistent ATK of 4000.

The trick is finding a Deck that can use it consistently, which I guess is now Darklords. Unlike 84 and 77, this doesn't have a Rank-Up Summoning Condition that makes it easier to bring out.

I've been lauding for a long time about the silliness of this card. In Trains I've found that this card almost single-handedly enables OTK's, and against any deck that runs this you need to be absolutely careful when you push for damage. You either go for the win, or stop while your LP is close. Anything else is most likely going to end in your premature loss.

I mean, I'd consider the Raigeki on-par with the stat boost in terms of importance, because that's what's letting you push for game. Anyways, for some stat stuffs I figured out from my playing with this card in Trains:

To OTK from a losing position:

- Ensure that you control at least 1 monster whose ATK is at least half or more of your current LP. Make sure to attack with that monster first. The first attack will lower your opponent's LP to your level with the original stat of that monster's attack on top of that; making Tarantula's attack equal to the original attack of the monster that just attacked. If that monster's ATK is at least half what your LP was, then Tarantula's ATK will be at the least equal to your opponent's remaining lifepoints. Attacking with Tarantula first will make your LP be the same and you will lose the stat boost, and consequently, ruin the OTK.

- Having more than 1 monster on the field means that you can get away with their combined stats equaling less than half your current LP. With 2 monsters while you have 4000 LP and your opponent has 8000 LP; both monsters could have only 700 ATK each and you can OTK. That's 1400; only 35% of your current LP! If there's a formula to figure out exactly how to get the OTK considering your monster count, I can guarantee you it's probably going to be exponential. I'm an english major; not a math major.

To OTK from equal LP:

- Have at least 1 monster whose ATK is equal to half your opponent's LP.

- Like the LP deficit OTK, having more monsters decreases the minimal total stat needed to accomplish this OTK. 

To OTK from a winning position:

- Say you're 1,000 points in the lead. If you have a monster whose original stat is 2000, then that will be an OTK. 

- Say you're 2,000 points in the lead. If you have a monster whose original stat is 1000, then that will be an OTK.

- Say you're 3,000 points in the lead. If you have a monster whose original stat is 0, you can OTK.

- Please note that unlike a losing position, these will need to be against an empty field. Because of that, a winning OTK is a little harder to achieve because there's a reduced chance of Number 35 being able to nuke the field.

- The key to being able to OTK from a winning position is to ensure that your first attack brings your opponent's LP down to at most half of your current LP, and then Number 35 needs to be able to accomplish a direct attack.

- It doesn't matter as much how many monsters you have on the field, so long as your opponent's LP is half of your current LP by the time Ravenous can do its direct attack. Of course, the more monsters you have out, the less of a lead you will need to accomplish this.

I mean, this card is absolutely nuts in Trains. Derricrane's additional pop after the nuke is just absolutely savage, and all three of the above OTK's are much easier to accomplish in that deck thanks to the overall stats of the monsters you're putting out. In the case of Darklords, I will say this since the deck doesn't put out R10's as well as Trains:

- If you are unable to win in a turn, do not leave your 35 on the field unprotected, even if you have other monsters. Number 35 is a fragile cinnamon roll that absolutely needs to be protected, and without effect protection that something like Number 81 can offer, it can either be removed or have its effects negated with ease, leading to a very untimely destruction. Number 77 is safer to leave on the field thanks to its beefy original stats as well as an inherent protection that, while not amazing, can still really pull through in a lot of situations. Number 77 is a great contingency plan for this card in case your plans don't go over well.

- Seriously, don't bother with Number 84.

Archived