Gate Archetype - Pendulum Oriented Deck

tenri00

Hi..this is tenri00. I created a fanmade deck focusing on Pendulum Rituals, Fusion, Synchro and Xyz. I tried to make this Archetype as balance as I could while retaining a few powerful unique effects. I myself feels that some cards I created are OP so feel free to criticize and suggest ideas for the sake of improvement. Thank you.

Disclaimer: I do not own the images used in these cards. (They belong to the owner of puzzle and dragons, and some artists in the internet)

[spoiler=Big cards]

I. The Four Basic Pendulum Monsters

The deck has four basic Pendulum Monsters which will be used for summoning Rituals, Fusion, Synchro and Xyz. All of them has the same Pendulum Effects: "If you control a Level/Rank 5 or higher monster on the field: Destroy this card. Once per turn: You can Special Summon this card from your Pendulum Zone." That means you don't have to normal summon them as long as you have them on your hand, but only ONCE per monster on a turn. 

Temporal Gate Observer

Temporal%20Gate%20Observer_zpsun2s2c2t.p

Monster Effect:

When this card is Summoned: You can target 1 monster on the field; decrease that card's Level by 2. This card can be treated as Level 2 monster when used for a Synchro Summon.

Strategy:

This card is the monster responsible for the Synchro capabilities of the deck. It's first effect states that "you can target 1 monster on the field" meaning you can change the level of your opponent's monster. But because of its condition, it can only disrupt your opponent if you CAN summon it on your opponent's turn. Also it might be obvious, but this card's ability can actually Synchro Summon 4-10 with ease (with the right cards) and provide help with Xyz Summonings as well.

Material Gate Observer

Material%20Gate%20Observer_zpshzcanfjc.p

Monster Effect:

During your Main Phase: You can Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck by using this card and another monster on your side of the field as Fusion Materials. 

Strategy:

As you can see, this is the deck's Fusion Summon enabler but Fusion materials including this card must be on the field.

Death Gate Observer

Death%20Gate%20Observer_zpsbpf2fgxe.png

Monster Effect:

When this card is Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 face-up Level 4 Pendulum Monster in your Extra Deck.

Strategy:

This is one is responsible for Xyz Summons but in order to utilize its effect, you must have a face-up Level 4 Pendulum Monster in your Extra Deck. Though it can probably open a lot of plays than what I expect.

Life Gate Observer

Life%20Gate%20Observer_zps6dhvlto6.png

Monster Effect:

Once per turn, when this card is Summoned: Add 1 Level 4 "Gate" Monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Life Gate Guardian".

Strategy:

This is the only basic Pendulum Monster of this Archtype to have a searching ability. That means it can be used for almost any Summons but this card is intended to be for Ritual Summons, since 2 of the Ritual Monsters I'm going to introduce are Level 4 monsters (those Ritual Monsters are searchable by this card). With "Once per turn" clause, I think this card is actually balanced, since no matter if you Summon it the 2nd time, it won't search for you anymore during a turn. This card combined with reinforcements is a good searcher.

II. Special Summon Monsters

Hint: The stats of each if some of these cards is based on some existing cards of the same type (Synchro, Xyz, Rituals, etc,) in the tcg/ocg.

Horae, Temporal Gate Guardian

Horae%20Temporal%20Gate%20Guardian_zpsgt

Monster Effect:

"Temporal Gate Observer" + 1 non-Tuner or more "Gate" monsters.
Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can Tribute this face-up card you control; Special Summon 1 face-up Tuner Pendulum Monster from your Deck.

Strategy:

This card is pretty much weak, especially since its effect involves around sending this card to graveyard and STAYING there unless resurrected by another card. But it also has its strong points, since it can summon "Temporal Gate Observer" during your opponent's turn, which can disrupt them if they try to Xyz or Synchro Summon.

Synchro Key of the Temporal Gate

Synchro%20Key%20of%20the%20Temporal%20Ga

Monster Effects:

"Temporal Gate Observer + 1 non-Tuner or more "Gate" monsters
Once per turn: You can Tribute this card; draw 1 card. Once per turn, during either player's turn, when this card is in the Graveyard, you can: Immediately after this effect resolves, Synchro Summon by banishing this card and 1 or more non-Tuner monster in your Graveyard (this is a Quick Effect).

Strategy:

This card is definitely useful in any Synchro-oriented decks since it can provide support for "Accel Synchros" especially Quasar decks. But it can definitely be used in conjunction with "Hera, Temporal Gate Guardian" since they both prefer in the grave rather than the field.

Sophia, Material Gate Guardian

Sophia%20Material%20Gate%20Guardian_zpsu

Monster Effects:

2 "Gate" Pendulum Monsters
Once per duel: When this card is in your Graveyard; Special Summon this card, but its effects are negated. Once per turn: You can return this card to the Extra Deck, Special Summon up to 2 face-up Level 4 Pendulum Monsters in your Extra Deck. 

Strategy:

Once per duel, it can revive itself. That is obviously a useful ability, since it can be recycled for another Xyz Synchro or sometimes even Rituals and tribute summons. Its 2nd effect is much much more useful though. Returning this card to the deck in order to Special Summon 2 face-up Level 4 Pendulums in your Extra Deck can open a lot of plays. You might be able to do additional Summons depending on what you do. And lastly you can combine both effects, you can revive it from the grave, then activate its 2nd effect equals VERSATILITY.

Fusion Key of the Material Gate

Fusion%20Key%20of%20the%20Material%20Gat

Monster Effects:

2 "Gate" Pendulum Monster
Once per duel, during your Main Phase: You can declare 1 Monster Card name, and if you do, until the End Phase, this card's name becomes that card's name. During your Main Phase: You can Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck by banishing this card and another monster on either side of the field or Graveyard as Fusion Materials. 

Strategy:

I have mixed feelings about this card. I think it is OP but I want to retain that "name-changing" effect. This card can be used for the cards that needs specific monsters. Example: If you have a Level 6 Synchro tuner and this card on the field, you can change this card's name into "Stardust Dragon" and poof you can summon Shooting Star Dragon. This card might open gruesome things in the game so I need suggestions for this one. You can even summon shaddolls with it.

Morrigan, Death Gate Guardian

Morrigan%20Death%20Gate%20Guardian_zps7i

Monster Effects:

2 Level 4 "Gate" Pendulum Monsters
Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and target 1 Level 4 or lower monster card in either player's Graveyard; equip that card to this card. When this card is sent to the Graveyard: Special Summon all monsters that were equipped to this card by this effect to your side of the field, but their effects are negated.

Strategy:

This card ensures that you will have monsters on your field when this card is destroyed. It can protect you or maybe provide more possibilities on your next turn. It might even be able to disrupt your opponent if their strategy involves using the grave.

Xyz Key of the Death Gate

Xyz%20Key%20of%20the%20Death%20Gate_zpst

Monster Effects:

2 Level 4 "Gate" Pendulum Monsters
When this card has a Pendulum Monster as Xyz Material, this card cannot be targeted or destroyed by monster effects. Cannot be destroyed by battle. An Xyz Monster that was Summoned using this card as an Xyz Material can attack all monsters your opponent controls.

Strategy:

This card is a wall. A small wall but almost unbreakable. Since this card will most likely be always in Def position, this card can be a hard nut to crack. This is the perfect effect combinations when you're trying to stall the opponent. Though, there are some ways to counter this card (Kaijus, Lava golem, piercing damages, solemn strike or warning, d-hero plasma, skill drain, etc.)

Hera, Life Gate Guardian

Hera%20Life%20Gate%20Guardian_zpsiawik06

Monster Effects: 

You can Ritual Summon this card by Tributing 2 Level 4 "Gate" Pendulum Monster you control. When this card is targeted by an opponent's card effect or is being attacked by an opponent's monster: You can Tribute this card. During the End Phase, if this effect was activated this turn (and was not negated): You can Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. This card cannot be Tributed for a Tribute Summon.

Strategy:

I'm actually thinking if making a Ritual Monster that doesn't need a Ritual Spell Card should exist. Though, most Special Summon Monsters have their own unique subtype (Contact Fusions, Synchro Summon in the grave or hand, Xyz with a Spell card) but Rituals don't so I tried to make one and this is the result. Effect-wise, this monster is really defensive. I made it so that this monster can seemingly evade card effects.

Ritual Key of the Life Gate

Ritual%20Key%20of%20the%20Life%20Gate_zp

Monster Effects:

You can Ritual Summon this card by Tributing 2 Level 4 "Gate" Pendulum Monsters on your side of the field or hand. During the next Standby Phase after this card was destroyed by battle or card effect and was sent to the Graveyard: Special Summon this card. This card cannot be Tributed for a Tribute Summon.

Strategy:

The same as Hera, Life Gate Guardian. This card will try to be on the field as much as possible. They also have the same summoning conditions. The only difference is that this card cannot be tributed for a Lava Golem.

The BOSS MONSTERS

Chronos, the Embodiment of Time

Chronos%20the%20Embodiment%20of%20Time_z

PE:

Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can Special Summon this card from your Pendulum Zone; skip your next Draw Phase.

ME:

"Synchro Key of the Temporal Gate" + 1 non-tuner Synchro Monster
Must be Synchro Summoned first. When this card's Special Summon is negated: Banish 1 face-up Pendulum Monster in your Extra Deck; Special Summon this card. When this face-up card would leave the field: Place it in your Pendulum Zone if possible.

Strategy:

I designed this card to be an almost unbreakable beater. This card renders solemn counter traps useless when they are alone. When this card would leave the field (banished, returned, destroyed, tributed) it will go the Pendulum Zone instead, where she can be Special Summoned at the cost of your next draw. There are some ways to counter this card though, for example: (setting multiple solemn strikes, negating its effect and banishing it while in the pendulum zone, or with simpler ways like Number 101 and similar cards).

Aether, the Embodiment of Matter

Aether%20the%20Embodiment%20of%20Matter_

PE:

This card will remain in your Pendulum Zone for 3 of your opponent's turn. While this card is in your Pendulum Zone, your opponent cannot set any cards on the field.

ME:

"Fusion Key of the Material Gate" + 1 Fusion Monster
Must be Fusion Summoned first. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can send 1 Level/Rank 7 or lower monster card from your Deck or Extra Deck to the Graveyard; this card gains that monster's effect. At the end of the turn this effect was activated: Place this card in your Pendulum Zone if possible.

Strategy:

This one is definitely awesome. With the ability to gain the effects of any monster cards in your deck with a level equal to 7 or lower, it really is a force to be reckoned with. Take note, this card can activate its effects on the opponent's turn which makes it awesome. The only backside here is after the turn he uses this effect, he will stay in your pendulum zone for three turns but your opponent cannot set any cards. When this card is successfully summoned, it can be really game changing, but with its semi hard summoning conditions and lots of effect and summoning negation cards in today's meta, it seems this card isn't that hard to beat.

Osiris, the Embodiment of Death

Osiris%20the%20Embodiment%20of%20Death_z

PE:

Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can destroy this card; banish 1 card on the field.

ME: 

5 Level 8 monsters
If this card is face-up in the Extra Deck, it is treated as a Level 8 monster. Must be Xyz Summoned first. If you control "Xyz Key of the Death Gate" and another Rank 4 Xyz Monster, you can Xyz Summon this card using those cards as Xyz Material. When this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 card on the field; attach that card to this card as a face-up Xyz Material. During your End Phase: Place this card in your Pendulum Zone if possible.

Strategy:

This card isn't intended to be the Xyz version of Slifer. This card's strategy involves attaching opponent's card (spell/trap/monster) to itself, then self-destructs in order to place this card in your Pendulum Zone (most of these boss monsters have a mandatory effect when they are going to be placed in the Pendulum Zone). That's not all, it can still banish 1 card your opponent controls when it is in that zone. When combined with the effect of "Xyz Key of the Death Gate" and right timing, this card may be able to create an advantageous situation where your opponent might not be able to make a comeback.

Athena, the Embodiment of Life

Athena%20the%20Embodiment%20of%20Life_zp

PE:

Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can destroy this card, then target 1 monster on the field; gain Life Points equal to that monster's current ATK.

ME:

Must be Ritual Summoned first. If you control "Ritual Key of the Life Gate" and another Level 4 Ritual Monster, you can Ritual Summon this card by Tributing those cards. When a card effect is activated: You can place this card in your Pendulum Zone; negate the activation and destroy it. This card is unaffected by activated effects from any monster whose original Level/Rank is equal or lower than 4.

Strategy:

Last but not the least is the Ritual Pendulum Boss. This card can provide a lot of protection, especially on itself. This card counters all Rank 4 Xyz/Level 4 Monsters and below indiscriminately and more importantly, it can actually negate the activation of a card effect which means MORE protection. But when you negate something, this card must be placed in the Pendulum Zone. Worry not, since it can give you more Life Points for cost heavy traps.

Archived