Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if they will make Alola forms for Pokemon from generations different to Gen1. Unless there is a reason for only Gen1 Pokemon taking Alola forms; could a reason be that Alola is closer to Kanto than the other regions?

Also I find a bit ironic that Rattata adapted to cities in Alola, but they didn't took such form or change in other regions with large cities (e.g. ORAS Mauville City, Lumiose City). Then again, in those regions Rattata is found in the wild and outside of cities, whereas a description on Alolan Rattata states that "urban areas are their main habitat".

Also I find a bit ironic that Rattata adapted to cities in Alola, but they didn't took such form or change in other regions with large cities (e.g. ORAS Mauville City, Lumiose City). Then again, in those regions Rattata is found in the wild and outside of cities, whereas a description on Alolan Rattata states that "urban areas are their main habitat".

They explain this in the Nintendo Direct.

Yungoos was brought to Alola to deal with the overpopulation of Rattata. It didn't work, as the Rattata moved to the cities, and became nocturnal instead. The adaptation is due to having a direct predator.

This is pretty much exactly what happened in real life in Hawaii too. Someone on Reddit actually nailed the theory about a month ago almost to a tee: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/4w7bl3/yungoos_alolan_rattata_theory/

They explain this in the Nintendo Direct.

Yungoos was brought to Alola to deal with the overpopulation of Rattata. It didn't work, as the Rattata moved to the cities, and became nocturnal instead. The adaptation is due to having a direct predator.

This is pretty much exactly what happened in real life in Hawaii too. Someone on Reddit actually nailed the theory about a month ago almost to a tee: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/4w7bl3/yungoos_alolan_rattata_theory/

Oh, I see. I did stumble upon a comment about Alolan Rattata becoming nocturnal after Yungoos' introduction to Alola. But now that brings me another question: From which region was Yungoos brought? It isn't any of the known regions as Yungoos isn't found in them. Could this hint at yet another region (and game) that will be introduced in the future? After all, it's not like the Pokemon franchise will be dying anytime soon. That, or Yungoos went extinct in that other region, and now it can only be found in Alola.

But I won't speculate too much about this.

Agro, pls....

In any case, they said there would be more new Pokemon than in Gen 6, but not by much. We've got 48 FOR SURE confirmed. Rockruff's Evo, the second stage starters, and at least one at minimun Evolution for Pikipek, given the Region Bird always has at least one Evolution

giving z-moves to specific pokemon is funking dumb

they were boring 1/battle moves when they were type only

now they're just mega evolutions that do less for viability, and are probably barely better balanced for in game

first time i've been really disappointed so far, honestly

Alola Rattata is okay, but being 4x weak to Fighting hurts A LOT. The dex description fits though as Hawai'i does have rats (albeit I've only heard about / seen them in Chinatown; never any elsewhere; I know there are a couple mongoose running around near my house though).

Not really fond of certain Pokes getting their own Z-moves either (well, Raichu and Snorlax though), but they'll probably grow on me later.

I mean, why give them Z-Moves when you can give them a mega.

Snorlax and Raichu could have simply gotten a mega instead of Alolan Raichu + Alolan Raichuium w/e and Snorlax + Snorlaxium.

The concerns about them scrapping Mega Evolution, which I was mostly fine with before, are now validated a bit, and in the worst way they could be. They're making held items that give single attacks to pokemon, which look fairly easy to read, instead of giving them a Mega Evolution to do the same, while revitalizing them with a new design. I'm more fine with it in Raichu's case, given that Alolachu is neat and somewhat accomplishes this, but Snorlax feels like it got gipped.

They're just doubling down on a design space they already had open, instead of working on something new and continuing the old one. Granted, they coudl still continue Megas, but this is a bit of a strike against them, at least commonly.

The parts about being easy to read/single shot are less relevant with the generic ones, as well, as they can be on any member of your team, as opposed to "oh look Alolachu/Snorlax".

In other news:

[spoiler=This does kinda vaidate the "Real Leaks"]

GIfjCUm.jpg

He got Ninetales 50% right AND Rattata 50% right, which lends itself to the idea that he was purposely misinforming us while giving us basic ideas of what was to come. Common thing with leakers, at least in YGO, so pretty sure the "Real Leaks" ARE real.

Snorlax and Raichu could have simply gotten a mega instead of Alolan Raichu + Alolan Raichuium w/e and Snorlax + Snorlaxium.

The concerns about them scrapping Mega Evolution, which I was mostly fine with before, are now validated a bit, and in the worst way they could be. They're making held items that give single attacks to pokemon, which look fairly easy to read, instead of giving them a Mega Evolution to do the same, while revitalizing them with a new design. I'm more fine with it in Raichu's case, given that Alolachu is neat and somewhat accomplishes this, but Snorlax feels like it got gipped.

They're just doubling down on a design space they already had open, instead of working on something new and continuing the old one. Granted, they coudl still continue Megas, but this is a bit of a strike against them, at least commonly.

The parts about being easy to read/single shot are less relevant with the generic ones, as well, as they can be on any member of your team, as opposed to "oh look Alolachu/Snorlax".

Can't wait to use my Alolan Mega-Charizard X with *insert special move here*!

Honestly, whilst I get where they're going with the whole Alolan form thing that Pokémon who live in different parts of the world grow up in different habitats and look different, it's still sheet.

Mega's were dumb, but they were anime dumb. You get a new form based entirely around how close you are with your Pokémon and Z-Moves feel like a cheap knock off tbh fam.

In other news:

[spoiler=This does kinda vaidate the "Real Leaks"]

GIfjCUm.jpg

He got Ninetales 50% right AND Rattata 50% right, which lends itself to the idea that he was purposely misinforming us while giving us basic ideas of what was to come. Common thing with leakers, at least in YGO, so pretty sure the "Real Leaks" ARE real.

While I agree it does have issues, it does allow for more gradation of power. I disagree with your view on Megas as a whole, but it is obvious that several were WAY too much (hi Salamence). By doing Pokemon specific Z moves you can give Pokemon a boost without giving them the full 100 BST buff that you get with a Mega. Also, not all Pokemon can have convincing Mega designs and this also lets them give a little boost to those Pokemon. I feel like in the case of Snorlax both of those are true, giving it 100 more BST could be too much and a good design for a Mega could be challenging. A do get the gipped sentiment, and again this does have issues, but I think it creates more wiggle room for how to push older Pokemon that have been left behind.

Was lack of gyms actually confirmed? It and the island trials aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

As of right now, the lack of a traditional Pokemon League hasn't been confirmed. We can still have the usual 8 badges + league stuff, but this is just an addition in-between. Just have to wait for further previews or leaks that suggest otherwise. 

That Aero got blown ALLLLL the way back
Also Dark Rattatta reminds me of Nidoran kinda.
Normal/Dark means STAB Return and Sucker Punch. That's pretty amazing. The weaknesses is meh but let's be honest Raticate wasn't taking a lot of Fighting moves to begin with. At least not from offensive Mons

252+ Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raticate: 291-346 (115.9 - 137.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Monferno Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raticate: 458-542 (182.4 - 215.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The special Z Moves will most likely just be aesthetic/name anyway. I doubt the power of the moves will fluctuate much between them tbh.

That Aero got blown ALLLLL the way back

Also Dark Rattatta reminds me of Nidoran kinda.

Normal/Dark means STAB Return and Sucker Punch. That's pretty amazing. The weaknesses is meh but let's be honest Raticate wasn't taking a lot of Fighting moves to begin with. At least not from offensive Mons

252+ Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raticate: 291-346 (115.9 - 137.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Monferno Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raticate: 458-542 (182.4 - 215.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The special Z Moves will most likely just be aesthetic/name anyway. I doubt the power of the moves will fluctuate much between them tbh.

someone had to say it

Like, everyone's like "LOL DARK/NORMAL IS BAD" but like no it's not, Raticate isn't a defensive mon so it only helps because of stab

I honestly think it could be useful in low tiers now, because of stab sucker and hustle (although the latter is luck based)

someone had to say it

Like, everyone's like "LOL DARK/NORMAL IS BAD" but like no it's not, Raticate isn't a defensive mon so it only helps because of stab

I honestly think it could be useful in low tiers now, because of stab sucker and hustle (although the latter is luck based)

I will say that Guts is better than Hustle overall but at least this means it can actually use Life Orb and such.

I will say that Guts is better than Hustle overall but at least this means it can actually use Life Orb and such.

oh what it had guts?

Even better then, because you can either predict a status or run a status orb

Like for real, it's at least better than the original, which nobody was jabroniing about in the first place

Archived