Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

It would be interesting if, for once, we just had a small group to thwart, instead of an entire organisation. Like, 2-4 people.

I feel they could easily do this.

They already have regular trainer battles as obstacles, they don't need a horde of grunts with generic and copy/paste teams.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd use the term mafia to describe Team Rocket more than yakuza (especially with a boss name like Giovanni), though I guess the two are not really that different, and I don't know what Team Rocket is like before localization.

There's a lot in common (but also huge differences) between the two of them, and remember all the names in the original version of the Gen I games were in Japanese, so there's little to connect them to the Italian Mafia there. So yes, they take inspiration from Yakuza.

• Neutral on the Fish Pokemon for now; bigger design is cool though.
  • Sandcastle ones are amusing, but not too sure on them
  • Nuikoguma is kinda cute; can wonder when it'll evolve into Kiteruguma/Bewear. (And yeah, the English names when they get revealed)
  • Alolan Meowth is awkward (so yeah, now it messes up Ghosts/Psychic, but still gives it a weakness to Fighting in addition to Fairy and Bug). Design is weird though,
  • Alolan Marowak probably makes sense (least for the Ghost parting, considering Cubone's dex entry of mourning its dead mother], but yeah they really played on that, didn't they? Think it can still hold Thick Club (it is still Marowak for the most part, except an adaptation)
  • Team Skull isn't what I expected, but let's see how they develop. (So we have the usual villain team, but nothing if we're getting a regular Pokemon League or that's being replaced by the island challenges)

Actually, I thought of something. Zygarde Core, 10% and Complete Forme are available in this game, and Zygarde Core only begins to act if the ecosystem is threatened. So it's possible that Zygarde will have some kind of influence in the story because Team Skull are trying to disrupt the ecosystem (probably through the version legendary).

Actually, I thought of something. Zygarde Core, 10% and Complete Forme are available in this game, and Zygarde Core only begins to act if the ecosystem is threatened. So it's possible that Zygarde will have some kind of influence in the story because Team Skull are trying to disrupt the ecosystem (probably through the version legendary).

Playing into the ecosystem when Alola has a VERY distinct one is an interesting path to take. Curious why Zygarde is in Alola though since he is supposed to primarily protect Kalos.

Because Zygarde has more than one Core unit. The dex entry can just be for the Core unit that prefers to stay in Kalos at 50% Forme.

Heck, Complete Form's entry stats that it's made up of at lest 4 cores, that can all think and act independently when operating Complete Forme.

Because Zygarde has more than one Core unit. The dex entry can just be for the Core unit that prefers to stay in Kalos at 50% Forme.

Heck, Complete Form's entry stats that it's made up of at lest 4 cores, that can all think and act independently when operating Complete Forme.

Where have they said it needed 4? On the Pokemon website it just says that the wings and tail have their own cores. Based on the anime Zygarde can be formed with just 2, which makes sense if the single core can handle the 50% form just fine. Still, if a number of cores exist it does make getting it in other regions pretty easy.

And as a slight side note, it would be interesting to see the games do stuff with Zygarde in Sun/Moon since that means the anime is going to do something TOTALLY different since the current story arc is focused on it.

I want them to be this but even more. Like. Ridiculously campy and over the top. But also dangerous.

Was that not Team Flare? Evil fashion police was pretty great.

I'm still a fan of Team Rocket's approach, though. Can't go wrong with simplicity, and also the yakuza/mafia is just cool. Plus, Giovanni was a really respectable boss, and I liked the interactions with him in Gen I and HGSS.

Where have they said it needed 4? On the Pokemon website it just says that the wings and tail have their own cores. Based on the anime Zygarde can be formed with just 2, which makes sense if the single core can handle the 50% form just fine. Still, if a number of cores exist it does make getting it in other regions pretty easy.

And as a slight side note, it would be interesting to see the games do stuff with Zygarde in Sun/Moon since that means the anime is going to do something TOTALLY different since the current story arc is focused on it.

Well, unless we get a Z Version, which seems unlikely at this point, all the Zygarde stuff will probably be occurring in Sun and Moon instead.

I'm still a fan of Team Rocket's approach, though. Can't go wrong with simplicity, and also the yakuza/mafia is just cool. Plus, Giovanni was a really respectable boss, and I liked the interactions with him in Gen I and HGSS.

Well I mean more along the lines of doom and gloom and destruction over the top. Like ridiculously so.

For the most part, yeah (except for Lysandre trying to commit genocide with the ultimate weapon).

I do think Team Skull will mess up the environment somewhere, or use the box legendaries for whatever purpose and we have to stop them. Not sure how Zygarde will factor into it; probably will have a decent role somewhere since they could've very well introduced it in Gen 6 if it isn't going to do much in Sun/Moon. But yeah, if they're just evil for the hell of it, then okay.

Chances are that they'll have some motive for doing stuff; I do hope their grunts have more personalized teams (or really not c/p stuff that we see usual grunts have [well, formula-wise anyway]).

I was pleasantly surprised by Lysandre's end goal of genocide, I thought it was actually really cool and evil, as well as his attempt to curse you with immortality in X.

Now, I can back the idea of actual pirates. It goes back to the idea of a more simple criminal organization like I was talking about with Team Rocket.

…Actually, given the skull motif and the grunt designs, is it possible they're just pirates? Like, proper pirates, not like Team Aqua?

They sort of look like a more gothic Neo Team Plasma (see designs in B2W2); just call them ninja pirate (terrorists) if you want. Could be more traditional pirates, considering Alola is an island region and pirates are usually associated with doing stuff on islands (i.e. treasure); they kinda do, but sort of not buying it to an extent.

Or they're just gothic, considering their skull stuff and whatnot.

Take the guesses as you will, as we don't have a lot to work with at this time. Maybe Friday's leaks will show more in-depth things about them, but can only wait until then to see if they do, and if that happens, are we correct on the guesses or not?

Oh look, I'm a 4-hour old Slowpoke

[spoiler=Thoughts]

- The fish is ok, I'm neutral on it

- The sandcastles are amusing and their types are fitting

- Bewear's pre-evo is cute

- When I saw Alolan Meowth, I see it going is "like whatever"

- Alolan Marowak being Ghost-type is fitting, and suspect it'll still get a stat buff with the Thick Club

- Team Skull is somewhat interesting. The girl reminds me of an evil Korrina, or the punk girl from XY

I assume this is what we'll see on Friday.

Can't wait till next month to see Rockruff's "secret" evolution

Archived