Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I threw Mimikkyu's name/parts of it's name/etc in Google Translate, and this is what I got:

ミミッキュ = Mimikkyu

ミミック = Mimic

ミッキュ = Mickey(or at least pronounced)

チュウ = Chu

キュウ = Kyu

...Basically mimic + mouse

'Course, it's Google Translate, but still.

I was more going for a sound-for-sound pun, but that works too.

And now I really want to see designs of him for a lot of different Pokemon. Imagine if he actually did have formes in-game? It'd be so cool. I love this Pokemon so much.

Chu is the onomatopoeia for the noise mice make in Japanese. That, or it's kyu. Most likely its english name will be something like Mimichu, for the pun of mimic + chu, which can be either for Pikachu (what it's mimicking) or chu (the noise that mice make).

You know, it just hit me that we haven't had a branch evolution in a LONG time. Gen 4 was the last time. Curious why this is and if we'll see another this gen since I find them pretty cool.

Yeah that is kind of weird. I guess we just don't normally think about them since they don't necessarily mean much.

Technically we got another branch of the Eevee line in Gen VI but hard to count that on it's own.

Gen 1:

Eevee -> Vaporeon/Jolteon/Flareon

Gen 2:

Gloom -> Vileplume/Bellossom

Poliwhirl -> Poliwrath/Politoed

Slowpoke -> Slowbow/Slowking

Tyrogue -> Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee/Hitmontop

Eevee -> Umbreon/Espeon

Gen 3:

Wurmple -> Silcoon/Cascoon

Clamperl -> Huntail/Gorebyss

Gen 4:

Burmy -> Wormadamx3/Mothim

Eevee -> Leafeon/Glaceon

Kirlia -> Gardevoir/Gallade

Snorunt -> Glalie/Froslass

Gen 6:

Eevee -> Sylveon

Coincidentally, they've only made 4 split evolutions without taking from a previous non-split evolution.

I mean,Pokestar Studios and the musicals... I don't think really anyone (relatively, I'm sure atleast a few people did) actually liked them, though, especially since Pokestar Studios is mandatory to do at least once and takes an AGE. Also makes it impossible to do a no-saves run of the game since you have to save to use it, incidentally.

I'd like to mention I really loved Pokestar Studios.

Ok, I love the cute Mimicu fanarts as much as the next one, but I feel we need more of those funny/(quasi-)creepy arts like those you posted above.

Also, while I didn't play Pokéwood a lot, I did find the concept as a whole interesting, especially in regards to the WTF endings.

I hope there will be a Ghost/Normal type coming soon....

I'm pretty sure its been said, but they really seem to be hitting a bunch of the unused type combinations this Gen so that has a decent shot at happening. What might hold it back is that Normal/Ghost is a REALLY good type. Defensively your immune to Normal, Ghost, and Fighting, resist Poison and Bug, and only weak to Dark. Offensively your STAB combo is only resisted by Rock/Dark, Steel/Dark, Normal/Rock, Normal/Steel, and yourself with the all but the mirror being destroyed by a Fighting move. That is also something a lot of Ghost types have thanks to Fail/Focus Blast

Honestly, Ghost is probably one of the best types in the game since the only things that resit the stab is Fighting. For that reason a Ghost/Fighting type would be REALLY scary if it had good offensive stats.

I'm pretty sure its been said, but they really seem to be hitting a bunch of the unused type combinations this Gen so that has a decent shot at happening. What might hold it back is that Normal/Ghost is a REALLY good type. Defensively your immune to Normal, Ghost, and Fighting, resist Poison and Bug, and only weak to Dark. Offensively your STAB combo is only resisted by Rock/Dark, Steel/Dark, Normal/Rock, Normal/Steel, and yourself with the all but the mirror being destroyed by a Fighting move. That is also something a lot of Ghost types have thanks to Fail/Focus Blast

Honestly, Ghost is probably one of the best types in the game since the only things that resit the stab is Fighting. For that reason a Ghost/Fighting type would be REALLY scary if it had good offensive stats.

You say that being really good will hold it back, but when you think about it, it's basically just a regular ghost type except it turns its weakness to other Ghosts into an immunity and giving it STAB normal moves.

So while it's always 100% better than a ghost monotype, it's not that out there.

You say that being really good will hold it back, but when you think about it, it's basically just a regular ghost type except it turns its weakness to other Ghosts into an immunity and giving it STAB normal moves.

So while it's always 100% better than a ghost monotype, it's not that out there.

This is why I said Ghost normally is one of the better types in the game. Making one of the two weakness into an immunity is still REALLY strong though. Though your likely right that its more reasonable than how I'm imaging it.

This is why I said Ghost normally is one of the better types in the game. Making one of the two weakness into an immunity is still REALLY strong though. Though your likely right that its more reasonable than how I'm imaging it.

Technically speaking, it's also the only type that would greatly benefit from the additional Normal typing (other than Psychic of course, which we already have in Girafarig)

It would be the only Ghost type you could 100% feel alright with sending out against another ghost type without getting absolutely destroyed by something like STAB Shadow Ball.

Honestly, you know whats really fascinating about the Ghost/Fairy combination? Realistically, they are exact opposites of eachother.

Fairy-Types typically embody everything good, while Ghost-Types typically embody everything bad. And while you could argue that Dark/Fairy would make more sense, Dark-Types are implied to have a more evil tone, which Ghost-Types never truly stick to. But at the same time, Fairy-Types and Ghost-Types are also prone to being very whimsical in nature, unlike Dark-Types. And last I checked, Mimikkyu is literally just that; A goofy looking Pokemon.

Makes sense, right?

I'm clearly thinking too much into it, but still.

Fairy also has this kind of dynamic (in which they are polar opposites, but also not-so-different from each other) with Dark:

While Fairy is typically associated with Good and Dark with, well, Evil, both have a pragmatic approach to combat: Dark-Types use underhanded tactics that no honourable fighter would ever employ, while Fairies use their cuteness and apparent innocence to trick the opponent and defeat them after they've lowered their guard.

Fairy also has this kind of dynamic (in which they are polar opposites, but also not-so-different from each other) with Dark:

While Fairy is typically associated with Good and Dark with, well, Evil, both have a pragmatic approach to combat: Dark-Types use underhanded tactics that no honourable fighter would ever employ, while Fairies use their cuteness and apparent innocence to trick the opponent and defeat them after they've lowered their guard.

Ghost makes a better contrast.

Fairy; cute/innocent

Ghost; creepy/guilty

I like to think Dark works as a better opposite to Fighting; they are both more combat oriented, rather then design/concept/etc.

Dark is, as you mentioned, more underhanded/sinister/etc, while Fighting is typically more honorable/etc.

Yeah, the Dark type being underhanded was already mentioned, and you can really tell by looking at a lot of the Dark-type moves. Beat Up, Bite, Fake Tears, Feint Attack, Flatter, Fling, Foul Play, Nasty Plot, Payback, Snatch, Taunt, Thief, etc.

And the whole honorable Fighting-type being super effective against the underhanded Dark-type is one of those type advantages/disadvantages where I like the logic of it. It's not one of the obvious ones like the Fire/Water or Electric/Water. Another one I like is how Psychic-types are weak against common phobias (ghosts, bugs, the dark).

Another one I like is how Psychic-types are weak against common phobias (ghosts, bugs, the dark).

Uh, technically, it'd be fear from evil, since the Dark-type is called Evil-type in Japanese (incidentally, the Shadow-type from the Gamecube RPGs is called Dark-type instead in the original version). So many silly internet arguments could've been avoided if only Nintendo of America wasn't so overtly-cautious about the localization :/

I always thought of Normal and Ghost as being the opposites. Idk, like the reason normal couldn't hit ghost and ghost couldn't hit normal was because they were on two different planes almost (and same with fighting). Like fire and psychic and stuff are types that are almost otherworldly whereas normal and fighting are completely of this world, while the ghost type is completely of the other world. Which adds another dimension to Giratina's typing.

Also fairy could be an opposite to dark, though I think it'd be interesting if it were the opposite to dragon. Like, fairies versus dragons, both mystical creatures, and both can be good or evil depending on the tales.

But yeah it's hard to imagine a Pokemon with both normal and ghost (or fighting and ghost) typing for that reason. Like they'd have to be simultaneously in both worlds. If they do make such a Pokemon, I think it'd be cool if they mentioned something along those lines in the dex entry.

There are still plenty of Dark-type stuff that deal with actual darkness and shadow stuff, it could work either way.

Meh, only the Special Moves, and Dark Pulse is called Evil Pulse in Japanese and it's described in-game as a wave-motion attack fueled by negative thoughts. So while Dark-Type has some connections to darkness through stuff like Umbreon, Darkrai and Night Daze, that's not its main motif. In fact, the element of darkness tends to be more associated with Ghost than Dark-Types, what with a lot of their moves being "Shadow (Blank)" and mon like Gengar, the "Shadow Pokémon".

So bear in mind, whenever Game Freak does something with darkness, they usually won't associate it immediately with the Dark-Type; that's why Lunala isn't Dark despite the fans' insistence. GF associates "Dark" first and foremost with nasty things, not the absence of light.

Archived