Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if that ending video's totally conclusive, but he did bring up many interesting parallels. I could definitely believe Tapu Koko being one of four guardian deities with the others being the main elemental trio.

I also find it interesting that Tapu Koko has two words in its name; I don't think there are any others besides Mr. Mime.

I don't know if that ending video's totally conclusive, but he did bring up many interesting parallels. I could definitely believe Tapu Koko being one of four guardian deities with the others being the main elemental trio.

I also find it interesting that Tapu Koko has two words in its name; I don't think there are any others besides Mr. Mime.

And Mime Jr.

I'd hope there will be new eevolutions to complete the list, like Aireon, for a Flying type, which boasts wings and a cool blue/white/gray.purplish color, and a Steel-type...

A lot of people are expecting a Dragon Eevee at some point. As it stands all the eeveelutions were originally special types in the first 3 gens (Fairy would have almost for sure one had it existed back then) and only Dragon is left to finish the cycle.

Vikavolt's design has me interested, but it's got a ways to go to impress me. Galvantula won my heart with its Speed, Sticky Web, and Compound Eyes Thunder; Vikavolt having Levitate doesn't excite me yet.

I'm curious if its HA will be different. Almost all of the pokemon with levitate have it as their only ability.

*facecake* I KNEW there was one I was missing. Dammit.

You actually missed two. Thundurus being the other.

Hmmm, if the Legend trio is based on Terrain effects, then two more should be on the way, one a Grass/Fairy type and one pure Fairy type.

I don't think its a trio though. The region has 4 islands, so we are more likely to end up with 4. I'd be interested in seeing them make a new terrain effect if they want to do an auto-terrain for each of them.

You mean Lock-On, don't you? Miracle Eye is just Foresight/Odor Sleuth against Dark-Types instead of Ghosts, iirc.

Yeah, that's what I meant. 

Basically, unless some Pokemon just happens to carry a move to guarantee hits, no one even uses OHKO moves. 

-----

But yeah, the island guardians are probably going to be more of a quartet if anything (see Swords of Justice); though we only know that Tapu Koko is Electric/Fairy. No guarantee that the rest of them will all be part-Electric or part-Fairy. I'd probably go with them being partly Fairy, but don't get hopes up yet (least not until the reveal later on). 

I think they're going to be part Fairies. One of the points that dude made in his conspiracy video is that apparently Melemele Island, which Tapu Koko guards, translates to Yellow. So it'd make sense for the other islands to be named after Red, Blue, and Green. 

I told you guys this a few pages ago (about Melemele meaning "yellow" in Hawaiian). But if they do pay homage to the Gen 1 box names, here are the Hawaiian color names: ʻulaʻula (red), ʻōmaʻomaʻo (green) and uliuli (blue).

[spoiler=Disclaimer]

The translations I gave above are not the only ways to say the colors; green is pretty much set, red and blue have other words to describe them, depending on what you're modifying and the hue/tone.

Word I gave for red implies the tone used for royalty (singular one is just one iteration of 'ula); blue is deepsea (like with red, you can take off the second "uli" for regular blue.)

Checking it against this Hawaiian dictionary site: http://wehewehe.org/

If they are going to name the other islands like that, Gamefreak will need to write them properly, especially since first two have ʻokina (the apostrophe-like thing) and kahakō/macron (elongated vowels). I apologize for being pedantic about this point though, but that's how Hawaiian is structured; I don't make the rules for that. 

------

But yeah, part Fairy seems about right. If that's true, can expect Fire, Grass and Water (the usual starter trio / type core); those types fit the coloring. 

------

EDIT: Some more footage from the game (it's in Chinese though, but yeah)

Basically Iwanko/Rockruff's HP is somewhat confirmed (54 HP at level 20, so ranges from 45-60 depending on the IVs and if not EV trained). That, and Arcanine is apparently a catchable wild Pokemon somewhere

Tapu Koko is yellow, and the island it guards is associated with yellow, because the alchemic color of air is yellow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/4qynqm/tapu_kokos_connection_to_solgaleo_lunala_and_azoth/

tbh

the alchemy theme seems both hugely intentional, and really well executed

So no matter how many bad designs we get, the Alchemy theme is going to save GF.

God, I love it. Upset that Tapu Koko is two words, but still so great.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but I think Bruxish's evolutions (if it gets any) are going to be the new Talonflame check. Dazzle stops Brave Bird/Acrobatics, and it resists Flare Blitz, so if it ends up getting a little HP or Defense, it'll be OU for sure. Not sure how well it can rival Rotom-Wash, but Dazzle also has the utility of switching into Lopunny and Azumarill, as well as (if it can outspeed) messing up non-Knock Off Bisharp because they can't Sucker and Pursuit is weak af if they don't switch.

Also, Togedemaru is the first or second best Pikachu clone. If it gets an evolution, it'll be really good, although I doubt it will. Iron Barbs is pretty great, although 4x weaknesses on a probably weak mon that may not evolve is bad.

I think Vikavolt is gonna be a Physical attacker, because of its big jaws. Even though it gets Zap Cannon, the description implies it's fast, which probably means it gets U-turn, and Wild Charge is a prime option for an Electric-Type physical attacker.

Rockruff is gonna be pretty important, since it mentions that it leaves the trainer when it evolves. I theorize it will be a Pokemon you can ride once it evolves, because we saw that Stoutland can be ridden. Also, Rock-Type is the type that Ryhorn was, and Stoutland has Sand Rush, a sandstorm ability. Rock-Types or similar likely can be ridden in certain areas.

So no matter how many bad designs we get, the Alchemy theme is going to save GF.

Curious, what designs don't you like?

Do we know whether Dazzling stops Gale Wings? Definitely stops natural priority moves, but not sure whether it blocks Gale Wings. It should, but you never know. Either way, it'll probably be OU.

We don't know, but I agree that is should stop it.

Curious, what designs don't you like?

Litten is a really bad design. It's just a cat with fire.

Yungoos looks a bit tacky and formulaic. It's also not very aesthetically pleasing.

Charjabug is stupid, it's just a block.

Bruxish is an eyesore. It looks too little like a Pokemon and too weirdly painfully colored.

Cutiefly...bad name, lazy design.

Magearna looks exactly like Diancie and no one can tell me otherwise.

But hey, I can look past it.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

I mean, everything else was at least great, so yeah.

Do we know whether Dazzling stops Gale Wings? Definitely stops natural priority moves, but not sure whether it blocks Gale Wings. It should, but you never know. Either way, it'll probably be OU.

Hey, if -Ate gives you STAB, then Dazzling should stop GW.

I've always wondered why people complain about later Gen Pokemon designs. I agree, some are lacking ( looking at you, Klink ), but Gen 1 has a Poke Ball, upside down Poke Ball, a crab ( Krabby's Japanese name is LITERALLY just Crab ), a bigger crab, a magnet, three magnets, a pile of sludge, a bigger pile of sludge, and a bunch of broken nuts.

On a more serious note, I realized we might not get any new Ice-Types in Gen 7, given Hawai isn't really known for the cold. Plus of the Pokemon from previous gens we've seen in trailers, I don't recall seeing any Ice-Types. There is also the question, what will the Villian Team's schtick be?

Rocket = Yakuza/Corrupt Business

Aqua/Magma = Eco Terrorists

Galactic = Cult

Plasma = PETA + Terrorists

Flare = ....

Actually, what would Team Flare be classified as?

EDIT- Read some interesting stuff on Serrebi just now about some of the Pokemon.

Team Flare is basically a doomsday cult.

Makes sense. Anyways, this is probably old news, but this is what I found on Serebi.

Tapu Koko is a special Pokémon that protects the area where it lives. It’s called the guardian deity of Melemele Island, one of the islands of the Alola region. Although it’s known as a guardian deity, it’s a surprisingly fickle Pokémon, and will not necessarily come to your aid if you need help. Despite that, this Pokémon has a strong sense of curiosity. If it becomes interested in a person or in other Pokémon, it may come to play or battle with them. Tapu Koko can store up electricity by enclosing itself in the shells on its arms. And it also appears to enter this form during other, special times...

No one has ever seen a Komala awake. It eats, travels, and even battles while sound asleep! Its saliva can be used as medicine for the sick or sleepless, according to ancient people. They say if you take a small amount of the saliva remaining after it eats leaves, water the saliva down, and drink it, you’ll be able to sleep well. Komala clings to a log pillow that its parents have given to it. Once it has grasped this log, it almost never releases it. If it does lose hold of its log, the Pokémon will be unable to sleep well and will thrash about wildly. Apparently it will sometimes cling to the arm of a Trainer it trusts.

The ever-sleeping Komala’s expression sometimes changes, as if has awareness of its surroundings and the talking of people nearby. But it appears that these changes in expression are actually just a result of the dreams it’s experiencing.

Drampa are dragons that live alone in the mountains 10,000 feet above sea level. Since they can’t obtain the Berries they feed on at that range, they descend to the base of the mountains at dawn every day. Drampa love communicating with people and Pokémon. Drampa are especially gentle with children and often appear at schools and parks where children gather. While Drampa is usually a very gentle Pokémon, it can fly into a rage if a child it cares for is hurt in some way. The Dragon Breath move that it fires off at such times is powerful enough to blow down buildings!

I mean, the only reason people would call (most, not all) of the new pokemon bad designs is because they're stuck in the past.

Vikavolt, Drampa, Bruxish, Tapu Koko, sorta Litten, Togedamaru, the cover legends, and ESPECIALLY Zygarde's new forms all have something different to the design than we are accustomed to. And this thing makes sense.

They're moving away from chibi/GB/DS style gameplay. They're moving towards models and worlds more like Colliseum (not XD) and Orre.

And it is very easy to say that these pokemon look very Digimon-like, while still retaining a pokemon charm to them. Tapukoko looks like Gallade as a digimon, for example, and Zygarde's perfect/dog forms scream digimon.

Hell, Bruxish even feels almost Disney-like, somehow. Creepy disney, but disney.

What people need to understand is that changing the style is not bad. Generation 7 looks to be overflowing with changes.

>Shift from more childlike styles, giving it a more realistic feel

>You beat your main rival's starter, not vice-versa

>A region that defies everything else in the series

>Seemingly getting deep into lore/symbology, which it only dabbled in before.

And more.

This is not to say I like all the designs. I kinda hate Togedamaru (hoping it breaks trend and has an evo) and Cutiefly, but that doesn't mean they're badly designed, especially when we don't know if they evolve or not. Base forms are normally basic and cute, as opposed to badass.

On a more serious note, I realised we might not get any new Ice-Types in Gen 7, given Hawaii isn't really known for the cold. Plus of the Pokémon from previous gens we've seen in trailers, I don't recall seeing any Ice-Types.

I dunno about you, but I think it's a bit silly writing off the possibility of there being any new Ice-types because Hawaii isn't know for being cold. I think all the Ice-types will reside in the far right island that is tipped with ice.

I dunno about you, but I think it's a bit silly writing off the possibility of there being any new Ice-types because Hawaii isn't know for being cold. I think all the Ice-types will reside in the far right island that is tipped with ice.

Yeah, I could see that.

Hawai'i is mostly tropical weather, but we do have a snow covered mountain [Mauna Kea] on Hawai'i Island (we call it Big Island so it's not confused with the state itself).

Not to say that Alola won't have an Ice types, but as British mentioned, might be predominantly in the far-right island (and Ice Rock may be located there anyway). Geographically, the island with the ice mountain lines up with where the Big Island is on real maps.  

-----

For Bruxish's ability, probably going with blocking moves that already have innate priority, and not something that gets Prankster/Gale Wings boosted. I mean, it'll still block Fake Outs and stuff, which is still nice. Although it'd be pretty cool if it did screw with Prankster/Gale Wings boosted stuff; we'll have to see. 

-----

Going with Gen 7's villain team, honestly can't say what they'll be themed on. Suppose they can use the sovereignty movement here (see note) as a basis, and whatever this team is named is very much adamant about keeping their region "pure" and free from external influences (trainers / professors and Pokemon from the other regions). Take this with a grain of salt though as Gamefreak may decide to base the design / general motive on things outside Hawai'i; I don't expect that Gamefreak is aware of this movement.  

[spoiler=Note]

The sovereignty movement refers to a group of people who have Native Hawaiian blood and want Hawai'i to be separated from the United States (or have their own say on the affairs); they feel that Hawai'i has been illegally occupied since January 1893. I should note that a lot of Hawaiians do not support this move. 

As this is a Pokemon thread, and not a Hawaiian history lecture, I'll keep this brief. If you want to learn more specifics, Wikipedia it or you can PM me. 

Archived