Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Sage: Well, Alola is based on Hawaiʻi (and hopefully you know by now that our topography is literally islands)

I was expecting a bit more, but suppose it was worth staying up until 3 am to watch this (yes, I'm still up at this hour).

But in reality, I was expecting Solgaleo to be a Fire type, not share Metagross/Jirachi's typing and be weak to Fire itself. Guessing its ability is Clear Body and some other stuff (wonder if it can't be statused). Lunala, wondering what its ability entails (but yeah, it has that 4x weakness that Hoopa Confined shares to itself and Dark moves). The new dex is interesting to say the least; other stuff was probably already guessed.

(Now to go find the Japanese commercial)

Only question is how powerful are they going to end up in terms of stats (that, and whatever signature moves they get).

Right now, I'm probably still going for Sun, but again that's not set in stone just yet (will also depend on availability of stuff). Same goes for the starter, which I assume we'll get news on at a later date. I am slightly disappointed that the Sun legendary isn't actually Fire, but meh.

@Sage: Well, Alola is based on Hawai'i (and hopefully you know by now that our topography is literally islands)

I was expecting a bit more, but suppose it was worth staying up until 3 am to watch this (yes, I'm still up at this hour).

But in reality, I was expecting Solgaleo to be a Fire type, not share Metagross/Jirachi's typing and be weak to Fire itself. Guessing its ability is Clear Body and some other stuff (wonder if it can't be statused). Lunala, wondering what its ability entails (but yeah, it has that 4x weakness that Hoopa Confined shares to itself and Dark moves). The new dex is interesting to say the least; other stuff was probably already guessed.

(Now to go find the Japanese commercial)

Well, with how confined the map in the previous trailer was, it wasn't a given.

Maybe the map will work like in Sevii Islands?

Don't know how accurate the translation is from the JP site, considering that I can't read Japanese that well (and Google's translating stuff at present)

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sun_moon/pokemon/legend_01/

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sun_moon/pokemon/legend_02/

Both of the legendaries' signature moves are capable of ignoring abilities (so built-in Mold Breaker much?)

Solgaleo's ability apparently prevents stat dropping, but not sure on other stuff.

Lunala's ability can reduce damage if HP is full (so another version of Multiscale)

----

@above: Kukui is basically a nut tree that grows here (and in some SE Asian countries); nothing really terrifying about it (unless the word Kukui means something else in other countries). It's basically tied into some of our mythology (which again, I am not an expert on).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleurites_moluccanus

>sun pokemon is weak to fire

>moon pokemon is 4x weak to dark

p l s

That is amazing.

Only question is how powerful are they going to end up in terms of stats (that, and whatever signature moves they get).

Right now, I'm probably still going for Sun, but again that's not set in stone just yet (will also depend on availability of stuff). Same goes for the starter, which I assume we'll get news on at a later date. I am slightly disappointed that the Sun legendary isn't actually Fire, but meh.

Box art pokemon always end up being VERY powerful. Even with the types they should still make Uber.

Don't know how accurate the translation is from the JP site, considering that I can't read Japanese that well (and Google's translating stuff at present)

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sun_moon/pokemon/legend_01/

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sun_moon/pokemon/legend_02/

Both of the legendaries' signature moves are capable of ignoring abilities (so built-in Mold Breaker much?)

Solgaleo's ability apparently prevents stat dropping, but not sure on other stuff.

Lunala's ability can reduce damage if HP is full (so another version of Multiscale)

----

@above: Kukui is basically a nut tree that grows here (and in some SE Asian countries); nothing really terrifying about it (unless the word Kukui means something else in other countries). It's basically tied into some of our mythology (which again, I am not an expert on).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleurites_moluccanus

Those are really......meh. I mean they aren't bad by any means, but not that interesting.

I'll probs end up pronouncing it as Koo-koo-ee

That's technically how you pronounce it anyway down here, so you're fine. If all else fails, just read it off of the Japanese spelling. Hawaiian/Japanese words have similar pronunciation patterns, bar for some exceptions.

(I should probably make a short guide on our orthography/pronunciation.)

----

As for the abilities and stuff, take it with a grain of salt for now, given that they were translated from Google. But yeah, as of now, abilities don't really seem that great right now and/or already exist elsewhere.

I find it amusing that the Sun one is weak to Fire, because it goes against what you'd expect.

The Moon one being 4x weak to Dark actually makes sense. The only reason the moon has light at all is because it's reflecting light from the sun. Otherwise, you can't see it at all.

Inb4 Moon Shield instead makes it not take super effective damage.

That would be pretty cool, especially given the fact that it has two very big weaknesses to contend with anyway. If it ends up with Lugia-esque stats defensively, it'd be pretty hard to break without removing its ability or something. Would be a lot better than Multiscale (as it'd probably get OHKO'd even with that up).

Also, I think Solgaleo's move pool will include Solar Beam, and Lunala's, Moon Blast. Also makes sense.

And apparently Pokemon Company does listen to it's fans cause whoever came up with the names Solgaleo and Lunala

FARTING

GENIUSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Also

(Insert I was Right Song from "Bump In the Night") cause the new Prof's name is Kukui.

Say I was right.

But enough boasting.

Also, if Lillie is the new champ then wow.

And the Rotom Pokemdex thing awesome. But I know one person who might not like this region: Fawful's Minion. Since there's more water than Hoenn. My guess, you ride boats until you get the Surf HM.

Hau's gonna be the rival. Every game has one.

Also, judging by the layout, I say there will be an Ice Gym, a Water gym, a Fire Gym, a Ground Gym, a Grass Gym, and a Rock Gym. Let's PRAY there is a DARK Gym.

Archived