Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just now reminded of this seeing the Sun legendary again, he reminds me of something out of Mega Man, like Battle Network or Star Force style Mega Man.

Inverse his color scheme and he could be Gregar but it's also very reminiscent of the bug beast.

I just hope the rival(s) in this generation is/are actually worth a challenge; hate to say it, but bar for Serena/Calem, the others in X/Y didn't amount to much.

I mean only Serena/Calem were supposed to be a challenge so I'm not sure where this statement is going...

I want character development in my rivals, I really enjoyed guys like Silver and Cheren.

The final rival battle post-game is decently hard. The team is solid and its at a high level. IMO the biggest issue with the rivals in Gen 6 is they really weren't used much from what I remember.

As said above, I feel like Serena/Calem really weren't around much. Which is funny because they showed up constantly in looking at bulbapedia. The other three though are criminally underused as characters to battle.

I want a rival that's more...rival-y. Idk how to explain that. But more like Silver or Cheren yeah.

I do like also having a more friendly one as well though.

The thing about Serena was that more than any other rival, she was constantly behind you. Even May, after giving up late in the game, seemed ahead of you up until that point to an extent. Serena's character was about constantly dealing with the fact that she felt inferior to you all game. Made me feel bad for her. Liked it as a character choice, but as a rival it did make her subpar.

IMO they tried to put too many characters into a role that other games in the series have fit a single person into. The other members of the group were either forgettable or only known for one aspect of their character. I think they could have stuck with just like 2 of them and had much more development. More of the run-ins with friends wouldn't have been split between each individual. Shauna, specifically would have benefitted by just having more time with the MC I think.

https://imgur.com/a/FANYv

I screenshotted the Evee-esque pokemon with red rings around its horns.

Yup. Looks like a dog.

Basically, if Sun/Moon does have multiple rivals, at least make the other ones more productive. As Flame mentioned sometime earlier, bar for the opposite player character (Serena/Calem), the other three didn't do much, even in the post-game. Really, only Tierno has any degree of usefulness after post-game and that's just for giving Heart Scales. Shauna gives you her starter (though you would've probably gotten one via trading by now) and Trevor's thing is pretty much taken by the internet having data on Mega Evolutions.

Or yeah, cut it down a bit. One extra rival would've been enough, but three (although they're technically "friends" and not actual rival status) is pushing it a bit.

---

As for the Elite 4 in this generation, hopefully there will be rematches where they/Champion actually get stronger teams (or rather full ones), but think they'll probably do that. I'd probably estimate their starting level to be around level 66-68 or something (add 2-3 levels on for the Champion battles).

I just wish we go back to a douche bag rival.  Not necessarily Silver levels of douchebag, but the current ones are just annoying. 

well, I mean, barry is also a douchebag

He's just an idiot/self-concerned douchebag, instead of a dick

Dick rivals barring Wally (remake) do tend to be better. Even Cheren and Hugh feel better than others.

I want a rival that starts out overleveled and slowly comes back into balance with the rest of the game. You start out getting your ass handed to you by him, making the first moment you take him down that much sweeter. He doesn't even need to be a douchebag. Make him a badass for all I care. Just as long as I have some motivation for beating him besides him being a slightly stronger trainer than the rest.

there will be rematches

Speaking of rematches, VS Seeker plz

I want a rival that starts out overleveled and slowly comes back into balance with the rest of the game. You start out getting your ass handed to you by him, making the first moment you take him down that much sweeter. He doesn't even need to be a douchebag. Make him a badass for all I care. Just as long as I have some motivation for beating him besides him being a slightly stronger trainer than the rest.

He defeats you- "Psh, nothin personel kid", and then walks off with his jet-black trench coat, katana, and fedora.

The thing about Serena was that more than any other rival, she was constantly behind you. Even May, after giving up late in the game, seemed ahead of you up until that point to an extent. Serena's character was about constantly dealing with the fact that she felt inferior to you all game. Made me feel bad for her. Liked it as a character choice, but as a rival it did make her subpar.

I never though of that, and yea that does make for a really interesting character. Hell, she has the extra layer of being the child of two top level trainers too giving her the expectation that she should be the best too. But you're totally right that that makes for a bad rival.

As for the Elite 4 in this generation, hopefully there will be rematches where they/Champion actually get stronger teams (or rather full ones), but think they'll probably do that. I'd probably estimate their starting level to be around level 66-68 or something (add 2-3 levels on for the Champion battles).

Yea, that was something that was REALLY lacking in the games. Getting to rematch the E4 with full and better developed teams is always a pleasure. Its similar with the Gym Leaders and the tournament in BW2. You would think they would simple enough to include but they didn't.

On a similar note I REALLY want more important trainers to have Mega Pokemon. Main game only 3 trainers do in XY and thats WAY too low. I brought this up in the XYZ anime thread since Wulfric has a Mega Abomasnow, but having Korrina be the 3rd gym leader and not even using Mega Lucario was a mistake IMO.

I want a Silver

And a Barry/Shauna

Both of them. And just the two.

One serious rival. One fun/sweet friend.

Both need to be well made still. But the general idea.

I can get behind this.

Has the game ever had a battle you were suppose to lose? I think the only one your even allowed to lose is the first couple rival battles in Red/Blue.

As the game ever had a battle you were suppose to lose. I think the only one your even allowed to lose is the first couple rival battles in Red/Blue.

You're also allowed to lose the first rival battle in GSC as well if I remember correctly (stupid totodile and it's critical hits...)

You're also allowed to lose the first rival battle in GSC as well if I remember correctly (stupid totodile and it's critical hits...)

My guess would be these are the only battles where this is the case. It makes sense this it is battle one and you need to hope damage rolls/crits/misses work in your favor.

Yea, that was something that was REALLY lacking in the games. Getting to rematch the E4 with full and better developed teams is always a pleasure. Its similar with the Gym Leaders and the tournament in BW2. You would think they would simple enough to include but they didn't.

On a similar note I REALLY want more important trainers to have Mega Pokemon. Main game only 3 trainers do in XY and thats WAY too low. I brought this up in the XYZ anime thread since Wulfric has a Mega Abomasnow, but having Korrina be the 3rd gym leader and not even using Mega Lucario was a mistake IMO.

Not counting you as the player (and the rival), Korrina, Lysandre (but he only did it once on a level 53 Gyarados + is presumably dead) and Diantha. Yeah, that's not a lot. For OR/AS, E4/Steven postgame, Zinnia, Archie/Maxie and Wally.

I'd assume they'd work in the Mega Evolution concept a bit more this time, now that they have things set up for it. Question is how are they going to import all of the stones Gen 6 introduced (and there's quite a bit of them); I don't think they'll make a Gen 7 Pokemon Mega Evolve yet. But either way, more important Mega Evolution trainers would be nice (even for gym leaders).

Much like they did for OR/AS, if the leaders are rematchable, they get a Mega of their own.

---

Now we can only hope for an NPC that carries a full team of level 100 Pokemon (final challenge), but I'm doubting it'll happen. (Would push you to the limit though)

Speaking of rematches, VS Seeker plz

I support this one.

I'd assume they'd work in the Mega Evolution concept a bit more this time, now that they have things set up for it. Question is how are they going to import all of the stones Gen 6 introduced (and there's quite a bit of them); I don't think they'll make a Gen 7 Pokemon Mega Evolve yet. But either way, more important Mega Evolution trainers would be nice (even for gym leaders).

Much like they did for OR/AS, if the leaders are rematchable, they get a Mega of their own.

Yea, having them do more with Mega Evolution in game would be really nice. They hardly did anything with it in Gen 6 story wise and its such a great idea that I really want to see more from it.

I imagine all the Mega Stones will just show up in game. I think it was you who brought this up, but we do have an upper limit on the number of Mega Pokemon simply because collecting and storing all the stones would become a major hassle is the number got too big. As it stands we can probably get a couple dozen more, but because of that limit they should probably slow down a bit with introducing them.

On that note, curious if this gen will bring with it a major mechanical addition/change. The odd gens historically haven't been as sweeping in the changes as the even gens have and they have a ton of space to mine out of Fairies and Megas that I don't think they will.

Probably don't remember saying that; might've been someone else, but yeah too many Megas will be hard on the game cards (and require quite a bit of coding effort on the developer's part). That, and if I remember correctly, Megas were intended for certain Pokes only (not everyone). And yeah, it'll be quite a bit to remember otherwise (remember when I was combing through the current database of Megas that the anime could've used).

If they want to keep introducing Megas for anything past Gen 7 (assuming Pokemon survives that long, given the bulk of us are either college/working and will likely have less time for playing in the coming years), then it would do them good to space them out (and decide which Pokes should get them).

----

As for new mechanics, not really sure what they can do this time. Like British mentioned, maybe eternal sun could be a thing, given that Alola is themed on Hawai'i (and we're known for sun most of the time), but then Primal Groudon would be out of a job. Ah right, can't forget about Kyogre/Groudon (or really, a NPC who will teach Dragon Ascent to Rayquaza); how are they going to work the Blue/Red Orbs into this (if they will)?

But yeah, think they'll expand more on Fairies and the like. (I would think we'll get another Fairy legendary besides Xerneas). As much as I'd like to think the pseudo-legendary this generation will be Fairy, most of the time they're Dragons (except Tyranitar and Metagross).

I was checking Serebii just now, and I saw an screencap of a battle scene from Sun/Moon (shown on the variety show Pokénchi) that showed bystanders watching the battle.

Yeah, that's a thing now.

So.... How long until Pokemon contests are incorporated into battles?

And Pokemon becomes Arc-V

Archived