Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah, we're back in 'Merica. funk yeah.

Except we're on the western extreme of the United States this time (Unova was New York; Alola is in Hawai'i); or rather, on the largest island in this state. Can only wonder how they make this (Big Island isn't really as populated though, despite its size, but so far, the design is nice.)

Now we can only wonder if Gamefreak will use proper orthography when writing names (if they do name some characters and stuff in Hawaiian; including the ʻokina, which I am using the apostrophe as a replacement for some of the time, and the kahakō or macron).

[spoiler=Some notes about orthography]

You'll notice that I am writing Hawaiʻi with its proper spelling (as it's pronounced in Hawaiian), though writing the state name without it is generally acceptable nowadays. Some words you can get away without adding them, but others need those diacritical marks, otherwise they mean something totally different. Unlike Japanese, you cannot write out long vowels.

For the ʻokina, the apostrophe is generally fine as a replacement if the font used in-game doesn't have this character (though some people will insist that you use the correct glyph). Or you can leave it off, as it does get confusing to know where they go at times.

(If you guys want, suppose I'll make a blog about this and talk about it more in detail)

I've got a theory that Popplio will evolve into other pinnipeds named after popular circus animals: the Northern Fur Seal (Callorhinus ursinus - as in Ursus/a, Latin for Bear; literally called Sea-Bear in other languages) and the Elephant Seal (they'll probably change its nose to look more like a real elephant's snout). The lion itself is also a staple of circus tradition. We already had a sea lion as a starter family's final stage after all, so they might not want to repeat the same idea.

Popplio, a combination of a Pop (e.g Blast) + Lion I suppose? It's color scheme is quite remarkable otherwise......plus it bears ninja characteristics

It's likely a combination of pop and lio from ilio-holo-i-ka-uaua (Hawaiian name for the Hawaiian monk seal; translated "dog who runs in rough waters"). Probably makes sense considering Alola is themed after Hawai'i (or namely, the Big Island [we call it this to differentiate it from the actual state b/c they both have the same name]).

Next would be the crime organization:

Me thinks it should be the same as Gen 3:

Team Solar: An all male crime organization, lead by a man named Apollo whose goal is to plunge the world into eternal daylight.

Team Luna: An all female crime organization, lead by a woman named Diana, whose goal is to plunge the world into eternal night.

I would like to see Popplio become a water and psychic type, actually. Psychic coming from a stage magician sort of vibe (hell, we've made PPal jokes about it already). Dunno if that'll happen, but I think it's a good design choice.

So, I don't know if it's been said, but there is a theory about what the legends are based off of.

The main volcano in Hawaii was said to be shaped like lion's mane when viewed from air. And there's that legend about the banshee that inhabited an abandoned bird park...

So, I don't know if it's been said, but there is a theory about what the legends are based off of.

The main volcano in Hawaii was said to be shaped like lion's mane when viewed from air. And there's that legend about the banshee that inhabited an abandoned bird park...

Hmmm...actually, I'd like to know more about these theories...

Link to at least something that has them? Cause this sounds interesting.

[spoiler=Image of Kīlauea]
Puu_Oo_looking_up_Kilauea_-_edit.jpg

Tell me if you think this looks like a lion's mane (though the lava flow kinda does to an extent).

As for the banshee thing, it's in Mānoa Falls (probably a few miles uphill from where university is), though we don't actually hear about it much nowadays (least for my generation).

----

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folklore_in_Hawaii

[spoiler=Image of Kīlauea]

Puu_Oo_looking_up_Kilauea_-_edit.jpg

Tell me if you think this looks like a lion's mane (though the lava flow kinda does to an extent).

As for the banshee thing, it's in Mānoa Falls (probably a few miles uphill from where university is), though we don't actually hear about it much nowadays (least for my generation).

----

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folklore_in_Hawaii

Hmmm...well then, definitely would understand the lengths of that theory going.

Perhaps it's true...

Aside from maybe Diamond Head, Kīlauea is the only volcano in Hawai'i (well, active anyway). Diamond Head is generally inactive. The banshee legend is more modern, so again, don't know much about it. 

-----

Going back to Pokemon stuff, we can only hope that the final evolutions are cool looking. Popplio might go on a similar path to Oshawott/Mijumaru; might not like it now, but its evolution will be a badass. The other two will probably end up amazing though; I made a prediction about Rowlet's final evolution taking some traits from Hawaiian royalty (because one of our chiefs were associated with owls), but somewhat doubting that Gamefreak will actually go that far. (We shall see though)

Archived