Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I think Popplio is a far more interesting design than Litten anyway. The circus sea lion inspiration is well executed. There's just so many pokemon with similar feline silhouettes, and I could leave or take most of them interchangeably. Compared to other pinniped-inspired pokemon, Popplio is surprisingly much more well-proportioned and cleanly designed.

Of course, Rowlet is the true god, but Popplio probably deserves way less hate/indifference than it has garnered so far. Of the three, it's probably the one I'm most interested to see a final evo for, just because the inspiration's the most fun.

So I found this on fb

13092105_1712738882299318_13794419118179

Not surprised someone did this tbph

I had already made the comparison between the moon legend and Olympia and comparing the sun legend to Lysandre makes perfect sense. I have to wonder if they thought that would happen.

I think the dislike for popplio is from him looking goofy. Which I do get. He just looks so happy that I can't dislike him.

In other news, friend made this joke and I am now stealing it

"DAYCAT ~AAAAAAHHHHHHH~ FIGHTER OF THE NIGHTBAT ~AAAAAAHHHHHHH~"

it works so well

I had already made the comparison to the Moon legend and Olympia and comparing the Sun legend to Lysandre makes perfect sense. I have wonder if they thought that would happen.

I think the dislike for Popplio is from him looking goofy. Which I do get. He just looks so happy, I can't dislike him.

Considering people were comparing the Sun legend to Pyroar, yeah it does make perfect sense, though it was a matter of time before someone shopped their faces onto the boxes.

As for Popplio, I don't dislike him either (I did turn it into a Performapal ofc). I was simply on the fence when they were revealed.

Now there were made up gym leaders from way back, Maybe Game Freak will pick 8 of them and rework them for the game. Personally, I prefer this order:

1. Dark: Ebony Badge

2. Psychic: Eye Badge

3. Fire: Pyro Badge

4. Dragon: Scale Badge

5. Rock: Granite Badge

6. Grass: Flower Badge

7. Fighting: Fist Badge

8. Steel: Blade Badge

Elite 4 is as follows:

1. Fairy

2. Electric

3. Poison

4. Flying

The champion can be Phoebe from Gen III. Given her look it makes sense.

While they did make Lance (who was E4 in Gen 1/2) into a Champion in Gen 4 for HG/SS, I find it very unlikely that Phoebe will become champion, especially given that Gen 5 and beyond are separate (as in based on areas not in Japan).

----

Anyway, for the starters...

I have nothing against the other two starters (I will plan to get at least a full evo set of each for dex purposes), but Popplio's design is the one I like the best so far. That, and its English name has some local significance (part of it is derived from the Hawaiian word for "monk seal"). Can only wonder if it'll evolve into one during its final stage (if it does, hopefully it looks nice).

While they did make Lance (who was E4 in Gen 1/2) into a Champion in Gen 4 for HG/SS, I find it very unlikely that Phoebe will become champion, especially given that Gen 5 and beyond are separate (as in based on areas not in Japan).

----

Anyway, for the starters...

I have nothing against the other two starters (I will plan to get at least a full evo set of each for dex purposes), but Popplio's design is the one I like the best so far. That, and its English name has some local significance (part of it is derived from the Hawaiian word for "monk seal"). Can only wonder if it'll evolve into one during its final stage (if it does, hopefully it looks nice).

I actually get why Astro is getting at with that suggestion. Her design is VERY Hawaiian so saying she is from there is something they could do. I do agree it is unlikely, but you never know.

Speaking of connecting regions, I've seen people speculate that the player character is from Kalos since the trailer suggests that they are not from the new region.

Now that it was mentioned I do really want Phoebe to make an appearance. Partially because she's my favorite E4 member.

While I would prefer her as Champ, then if not champ a cameo will suffice.

But what did everyone else think of my Gym Roster and E4 roster?

It'd be interesting to see Phoebe be at least mentioned in SM, I don't think she'd be the champion though.

Also, considering Hawaii is a tropical nation, it'd be interesting to see its climate somewhat replicated in SM.

Maybe we'll finally have naturally strong sunlight

(A reminder that Hawai'i is still a US state, despite being 2,300+ miles to the west of the mainland in the Pacific)

We mostly have sun over here so that might be a given. Don't count on too many snow areas, unless part of Alola is based on Mauna Kea [that's the only place here where it snows]. As for rain areas, don't really know how often they'll appear (it's needed for Goodra's evolution so that'll be a necessity); Windward side of the islands tend to get a good amount of rain though. 

Sandstorms, nope. 

----

EDIT: Alola appears to be based on Hawai'i Island (or Big Island), so there should be a snow-covered mountain somewhere if the locations match up.

Archived