Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished Lana's trial, and it was an utter jabroni. The Wishiwashi was more bulkier than I thought. For one thing, even though I only had fomantis who had super effective moves against water, Razor Leaf only kept doing 1/6th damage to his HP. And it got worse when he ally calls Alomomola with Helping Hand AND Heal Pulse. HEAL PULSE. At the very least Torracat beat him only after he used Soak. But what a trial that was.

[spoiler=Holy sheet.]

Lusamine is over 40?! So she's not a possible sibling with Lillie/Gladion, but possible mother?!

She's almost certainly Lillie's mom, at least. Lillie mentions in the beginning that our mother is really nice, as if it's surprising, and later that Kukui's wife acts like a real mother to her. Lusamine did react when Hau mentioned Lillie's name, as well.

Also, she's creepy af. Total yandere.

I really hope Hau manages to show some depth of character sometime. I've gotten to Ula'ula Island and so far all he's done is be super excited nonstop and eat malasadas. Not only is his character super static, it's honestly kind of annoying.

Also, all the starters evolve at 17 and 34. Weird.

Been playing Pokémon Moon for a few hours now, and got a bit of a team.

[spoiler=Progress]

Undine the female Popplio (Bold, hates to lose) Torrent

Toco the male Trumbeak (Jolly, thoroughly cunning) Keen Eye

Smoke the male Alolan Meowth (Brave, loves to eat) Technician

Chidori the male Pichu (Timid, likes to run) Static

So far the natures and characteristics aren't too bad, so I haven't catch-grinded for better ones.

To be honest, I was hoping for a male Popplio, considering I had the perfect name picked out and everything. However, first was a female, and since the nature and characteristic were decent, I didn't really have a reason to soft reset. Still, coming up with a name was hard, and I'm still not entirely satisfied with what I chose. :T I didn't want to choose Ariel because I figured everybody and their mother had already chosen that, and I like to be somewhat original, so yeah.

I did have trouble picking between Rowlet and Popplio at first, however, until I realized I wasn't really interested in any of the water Pokémon in this region. I always pick new Pokémon for my first playthrough so this included just the new ones and the Alola variants. However, I was interested in Fomantis' line, so I decided to go for a water starter yet again. That's four out of seven generations where I prefer the water starter. If Rowlet had less competition and Popplio had more, though, I probably would've gone with Rowlet.

Aside from Undine, not one hundred percent positive on this team. Meowth will probably be replaced by Rockruff, though I am interested in seeing how it differs from regular Meowth. I'm thinking of using Mudbray as well, though I am also interested in Alolan Marowak, Jangmo-o, and maybe I'll try Drampa since it's a version exclusive. Probably will try Mimikyu and Lunala as well. Who out of any of these, will end up being my final team, I have no clue, since with the probable removal of HMs, I won't need a certain layout (like an obligatory water type, though I still have one). So I'll probably just go with whichever I prefer and seems to work together.

So far have been interacting with Lillie more than I thought you would. I figured she'd be more like Dawn/Lucas from D/P/Pt, where you only somewhat infrequently see them, but she's been guiding me around the city and everything, so that's kind of cool. I like Hau's personality myself, but we'll see if it gets tiring after a bit. Have yet to do the first trial, but looking forward to it.

Note: Been using the heck out of Pokémon Refresh, and it's interesting how different species have different affection thresholds. So far Trumbeak has the lowest, because he is already at four hearts, whereas Popplio, who I've had longer, is at three. Also their affection animations are adorable, especially the ones where they increase a heart. Popplio is especially cute. Undine jumps onto her front flippers and waves her back ones, and it's the cutest thing I've seen in this game so far.

Honestly, this game is pretty good, though feels less like I'm exploring a brand new region since I've been following all the leaks and played the demo. So I think next time, I'll just stay away from threads like this and try not to spoil anything for myself.

Golisopod is absolutely my favorite Pokemon this gen, maybe my new favorite of all time (sorry Golurk). Emergency Exit is a bit of a double-edged sword, but it actually works itself into how it plays. Its signature move, First Impression, is a 90 power physical Bug-type move with +2 priority. Really strong move, though it can only be used on the first turn it's out (so if it forces a switch through Emergency Exit, it can use First Impression again if you switch it back in). It can also get Sucker Punch and Aqua Jet, so there are up to 3 priority moves it can get to bypass its low speed and make sure it gets a hit in. It's got 75/140/90 for its Hp/Def/SpDef so it's quite bulky, especially if you want to put an Assault Vest on it. It can also learn the awesome move Liquidation, 85 power physical Water-type move that has a chance at lowering defence (essentially a better Waterfall since Golisopod could never hope to go first for the flinch chance). It's bulk also makes the newly buffed Leech Life (80 power, in case anyone's not aware) really useful on it as well.

I've got Adamant nature, think I'll go for something like 248 Hp / 252 Atk / 8 SpDef for EVs. I'm mostly debating on what moveset I want for it. First Impression and Leech Life are a given, I'm just wondering if I want the other two to be Sucker Punch/Aqua Jet (lacks a high power water move), Liquidation/Aqua Jet (lacks coverage), Sucker Punch/Liquidation (lacks reliable priority once First Impression has been used), or maybe something else entirely to have different coverage.

And of course it looks awesome, I love its design. I named mine Cocytus because I think it bears a striking resemblance to the character from Overlord.

[spoiler=EDIT]Oh sheet, it's your boy Guzma, and he's got a Golisopod.

I still love how the game series never ceases its boundless cheating. There is literally no reason as to why an enemy Makuhita should avoid hitting itself in confusion 5 times, okay? Nor should it be fair that paralysis never affected it once for 4 turns. Makes you wonder why you even bother with status when it apparently has 0 affect on the computer's Pokemon. And before anyone says anything, I've done confusion repeatedly with my Pichu's Sweet Kiss, and for a total of 7-9 confusion attacks, ALL of them have failed to hurt themselves. The game at that point is basically cheating, since no one except a cheater can win a 50% chance that many times.

So with my third Pokemon in this Nuzlocke, the Jolly Wingull, I can say...My team is super weak to Rock and why do I have a curse of getting horrible natures?

Also I like Lillie a lot but seriously we get it you don't like seeing Pokemon fight/hurt you've said it every scene so far I swear.

And...it's very weird to figure out where to count encounters.

looking into this more I found something interesting with the Festival Plaza in regards to EV Stuff where with the Bouncy House and course's if you on Course 7 it max's the one area Stat.

Course A 7 - Max HP

Course B 7 - Max ATK

Course C 7 - Max DEF

Course D 7 - Max SATK

Course E 7 - Max SDEF

Course F 7 - Max SPD

This seems really cool that we have this but I can tell its likely going to cost a bit on festival coins which we will need to do a lot of missions for.

I'm to the best point in the game, and by that I mean I can now catch a Mimikyu. Trying to get one that's Jolly or Adamant, though it seems like they have a pretty low encounter rate.

I'm really glad that it has useful stats, a lot better than I was expecting (a shame it doesn't have 4 more base speed to get to 100, though). Its ability also means it can get a free Swords Dance off, and it even learns Splash so Z-Splash is an option for a higher boost, though then I can't give it other useful things like Life Orb. It's got some hard-hitting moves with Wood Hammer, Play Rough, and Shadow Claw, too, which is nice.

EDIT: OMFG this game makes me laugh so much sometimes. At one point two female Grunts are talking about how one is wearing the other one's shirt (who makes the excuse they're all the same design), then she says they should right their names on them to help differentiate, to which the other responds, "Uhmm, hello! Our names are all Grunt. What's the point?" XD

I funking love Team Skull. Their demeanor, manner of speech, constant gang signs, it's so great. Awesome music, too. I really hope you can get their outfit someway.

[spoiler=My god I love this game's story. (SPOILERS)]

I figured Gladion would be a Silver-kind of character who'd eventually turn over a new leaf, prompting Null to evolve. Turns out he's an anti-hero, wanting to become strong for the sake of both himself and Null. Literally the first encounter with him I realize he's not a bad guy. And then later he says we have to protect Cosmog at all costs (since we obviously know where it is), that was surprising. Him also giving us the Master Ball is pretty nice, too.

Guzma's definitely an interesting boss, seems to only care about destruction. I realize now after the fact that there was a nice little bit of foreshadowing in his theme, with part of it having the Aether Foundation remixed in the background.

And sheet turns up to 11 real quick. When Lillie and Cosmog got taken by Team Skull, I was actually surprised that Gladion took us to the Aether Paradise. I wasn't expecting Team Skull to be working with Aether, I figured both were bad groups but were separate entities.

Lusamine is funking INSANE. Treats her kids (Gladion and Lillie, which didn't surprise me once she said she was over 40, I figured she was their mother) like garbage and doesn't even really consider them to be her children since they ran away and rejected her love (stealing Null and Cosmog didn't help, either), has all these Pokemon frozen in tanks in her secret lab basement to love them forever or some crazy bullshit like that, and then is willing to kill Cosmog to use its power to summon the Ultra Beasts.

The cutscene of Hala and Tapu Koko engaging in battle against Expansion was hella cool, too.

And then Lusamine and Guzma funking go into the Wormhole, wtf is going on.

It's so exciting.

So with my third Pokemon in this Nuzlocke, the Jolly Wingull, I can say...My team is super weak to Rock and why do I have a curse of getting horrible natures?

You forgot to mention the Wingull's name.

Getting horrible natures can be a pain in such challenges. I remember having a Modest Kakuna in my Soul Silver wedlocke, and it wasn't the easiest thing to use.

You forgot to mention the Wingull's name.

Getting horrible natures can be a pain in such challenges. I remember having a Modest Kakuna in my Soul Silver wedlocke, and it wasn't the easiest thing to use.

Ugh, tell me about it. I've been hunting Bagons on route 3, and the 3 I've caught so far ALL have had natures that negatively impact their best stats. Timid (-Atk +Spd), Brave (+Atk - Spd), and Modest (-Atk + S.Atk)

Archived