Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone else having a long pre-game? It took me over 4 hours until I beat Ilima and I haven't left the first island yet despite playing most of the day.

Not complaining mind you, just surprised that I didn't get as far along as I thought I would. If anything that's a good thing since I'm getting more time with the game.

Well, it was a little bit tedious, but it was good that the trials and trainers were difficult enough to try to battle against, even if most of them have only one Pokemon and you overdid grinding. They seemed to have balanced the Exp distribution probably as I've noticed.

Currently In Akala Island.

Torracat LV 24

Rockruff LV 20

Cutiefly LV 18

Fomantis LV 17

Yeah, it appears they went back to the Gen 5 EXP gain formula (which I personally don't really like, because it makes training harder once you get stronger).

On `Akala Island right now on Route 5, but only 2-3 Pokes are worth mentioning for team. (I at least have a Brionne and Mudbray; everything else is still underleveled)

Just starting game now. Only will be able to play a couple hours but it's something.

Also

[spoiler=I checked the version exclusives]My preferences:

+ to Sun is Carracosta, Braviary, Passimian, and Sogeleo
+ to Moon is Sandslash, and Liligant
(I do like Ninetales and Whimsicott just not as much)
Moon has a couple of my favorites but I like Sun's more overall

I have started my adventure. Jesus, is Rowlet hard to start off with. This hasn't been helped by getting Paralyzed by BOTH electric types you face at the start. Needed FOUR potions and a Para Heal and I still lost to the teacher because I thought I was faster. Blarg.

Won on my second attempt with 1 less potion I think. Still, this is going to suck until I get my donkey.

I have Popplio, but ended up with a Timid nature (which isn't going to work well, considering Primarina's base 60 speed). Would've liked a Modest nature one (suppose I can breed one on Route 5 or something when I can bring that Ditto over or something).

Training a Rockruff now, mainly because it was on my want list and also easier to train (at the moment, on route 2 doing Gen 5-era speed training)

So you can just catch wild Eevee in Route 4. Neat.

The event Munchlax starts with Metrenome, and using Normalium Z to turn it into Z-Metrenome makes it randomly become any Z move, that's pretty cool.

My adorable little Grubbin has now evolved and I didn't realize his actual eyes were hidden behind the little blue panes, I thought those were his eyes.
newpokes2.png

Also, Grubbin learns Acrobatics before it evolves, and it's such a funny animation for a stumpy little bug to be doing.

I think my one question for Sun and Moon at the moment knowing that Hyper Training gives pokemon IV boost at Level 100 (gold Bottle cap maxing all stats) will Super Training be in sun and moon or will we have to just have to do EV training through wild battle.

Specially since I found Super Training in X and Y the easiest way to EV train my pokemon with no error/problem to set up with EV spread myself.

@Shradow: You have a 5% chance of catching Eevee though, however you do get a free Eevee egg on Route 5 (well, the Paniola Daycare anyway).

@Zero: Didn't see it on the menu, but assuming it isn't. But yeah, EV training will be a PAIN now (no Hordes to build off, and definitely the lack of punching bags suck). At least you sort of have an idea on the EVs, unlike with Gen 5.

I think my one question for Sun and Moon at the moment knowing that Hyper Training gives pokemon IV boost at Level 100 (gold Bottle cap maxing all stats) will Super Training be in sun and moon or will we have to just have to do EV training through wild battle.

Specially since I found Super Training in X and Y the easiest way to EV train my pokemon with no error/problem to set up with EV spread myself.

Hordes are actually the best way to EV train. With the power items you get 25 per and you max in just 10 battles and 1 bit of super training. This is SUPER easy in OR/AS since you don't have to worry about rain keeping you from trigging a horde and the hordes all give the same EV.

@Shradow: You have a 5% chance of catching Eevee though, however you do get a free Eevee egg on Route 5 (well, the Paniola Daycare anyway).

@Zero: Didn't see it on the menu, but assuming it isn't. But yeah, EV training will be a PAIN now (no Hordes to build off, and definitely the lack of punching bags suck). At least you sort of have an idea on the EVs, unlike with Gen 5.

The best way to EV train now is likely with SOS battles. However it seems WAY worse than hordes.

EV training is done with Festival Shops that sell items to max out a stat's EV, and also by chaining Call for Help against wild pokemon since that increases EV yield pretty greatly. Also the power items have double their effectiveness now.

Does anyone know how to reset EVs in this game?

My current team:

Dartrix

Rockruff

Mudbray

Yungoos

Trumbeak

Basically get a lot of the stat reduction berries at this point (because yeah, no Super Training bags). Either that, or you'll have to manually keep tabs on EVs like you did pre-Gen 6.

Trial-wise, doing Kiawe's one.

Archived