Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Sun's face doesn't appear to change expression when things happen; least from what I've noticed.

But at least they spelled Hau'oli correctly (well, using the apostrophe instead of 'okina, but that's excusable due to character restrictions). I have to say this because of how words are written (inclusion/absence of diacritics / okina translates into different words than what you want to say).

----

Now I wish I did a bit more EV training during the first adventure, so it'd be stronger (if I had known it would save).

An 'okina is similar to a glottal stop, correct? I want to make sure I can pronounce the names properly once I get the game so I know how to refer to places right. :)

So, if your curious what the Alolan Dex looks like

http://imgur.com/gallery/5C8ry#T069a5O

That's an absurd amount of Kanto Pokemon. Sorta encourages my idea that if Kanto is the mainland, Alola is a combination of Hawaii and Okinawa.

EDIT: So idk if anyone's brought up the following yet, but:

[spoiler=Spoilers!]• UBs can be caught, although apparently only with unique balls.

• HMs are no more. Fly, Surf and Waterfall are now TMs.

• A new evolutionary stone (a la Fire/Water/etc). Maybe an Ice Stone to evolve Alolan!Vulpix?

@Rinne/xatabasis: Yeah, it's basically a glottal stop (though in Hawaiian, it's also a letter to separate vowels due to the word construction rules in general; for instance, Hawai'i has an 'okina to separate the two i's when written, but all of you know the form without it).

@Astro Boy: The actual term is "aloha" (which can also be used to say goodbye); I will assume you know the former. And yes, one of the NPCs in the demo did say "howzit", which you will hear a lot of locals say. (I tend not to say it much though)

And yes, I got my Pretty Feathers.

So, Sakura, as someone who's intimately familiar with this, what's your general opinion on how Sun & Moon have utilized a Hawaii-based area? Everything seem properly done up? You've commented here and there throughout the course of the info reveals and I'm just curious on your overall thoughts.

I didn't find her, or the Dugtrio, I did find a odd woman who takes you to a spot where Taruous destroys rocks, and someone named Mysterious Old Man gves you three Stardusts.

And I should have had the demo for 24 hours now. Hm.

The guy outside the Pokemon Center still says tomorrow....

Serebii says to speak to him 1 day after initial play, meaning it doesn't actually have anything to do with when you downloaded it, unless that was the same day you began playing. If you started yesterday, he'd give them to you today, but if you started today, he would tomorrow.

EDIT: Ignore post below mine as I began playing yesterday morning and got my Pretty Wings last night. I'm pri sure it does have to do with date.

I didn't find her, or the Dugtrio, I did find a odd woman who takes you to a spot where Taruous destroys rocks, and someone named Mysterious Old Man gves you three Stardusts.

It's based on when you download it, not by date.

Things I think we'll likely get from event NPC's

Heart Scales

Pikachu Z-Crystal - this one because of the pikachu birthday mention and the fact that although we already have the Crystal we can't transfer it over.

More cash items - Although honestly we have enough already <-< 10k counting everything so far

Silver/Gold Bottle cap(s)

Maybe a Destiny Knot

Yeah, it's a bit abysmally short, and definitely not as in-depth as the ORAS demos were, since they had a new adventure over multiples days. This one just has one story, then certain checkmark days to get free sheet. Although, some might be flags for new adventures, maybe. That chick with the sprained ankle might be a new adventure flag, possibly.

Alolan Persian has been officially shown. Yea, still looks terrible.

Why is its face so swollen? Did a bunch of Combees sting it or something?

Also, some more interesting stuff from the demo. Don't think we've talked about everything so posting other stuff.

[spoilers=Mining]

98 new moves. 29 are Z-Moves. One for each type with 11 special.

Changes to TMs

-Work Up replaces Hone Claws

-Leech Life replaces Dig

-Incinerate replaced by a new move

-Retaliate replaced by a new move

-Flash replaced by a new move

-Struggle Bug replaced by Fly

-Rock Smash replaced by Surf

-Power-Up Punch replaced by Waterfall

So, Sakura, as someone who's intimately familiar with this, what's your general opinion on how Sun & Moon have utilized a Hawaii-based area? Everything seem properly done up? You've commented here and there throughout the course of the info reveals and I'm just curious on your overall thoughts.

For the most part, I'm satisfied with what they've done to base Alola off here (both region-wise and with certain 'mons) thus far. At the very least, they adapted some of the local customs and traditions, which is nice. I can't say this for everything, given we haven't seen all of the game just yet, but so far, it's good.

I'll leave notes about the spelling and island naming in spoiler tags, as I wrote quite a bit.

[spoiler=Orthography]

There will be some spelling things that can't be helped due to typesetting problems with most fonts (especially the one games use nowadays), but I'm not going to be critical about it.

I need to mention orthography because Gamefreak decided to use words from Hawaiian, and like English and other languages, there are some guidelines (which can be broken). That, and partly due to my university education in this state (Hawaiian words have to be written properly, or you get deducted; even though it isn't very convenient to type at times).

For instance, 'Ākala [as in the island you meet Mallow/Olivia] is spelled with a kahakō/macron, which the Japanese picked up on, but English didn't, and Hau'oli has an 'okina in proper orthography, but uses an apostrophe (like I'm doing for a chunk of this post). While it's technically improper to use the apostrophe or the grave accent in place of the 'okina, for typing purposes here, it's fine considering the actual glyph can be a pain without consulting the character map / copypasting off Wikipedia. Unlike with Japanese roumaji, you can't elongate the long vowels.

(Out of fairness, I have to set my keyboard to Maori in order to type the long vowels w/out resorting to the character maps.)

We might have some of my college instructors or hardcore activists who may be pedantic about our spelling and rant about the lack of "proper" writing, but as far as I am concerned, Gamefreak did what they could with the typesetting restrictions.

I did have plans on writing a short guide to Hawaiian orthography in light of Sun/Moon (in Blogs); may be a good idea to write it, albeit it'll just be about pronunciation and other small stuff like I'm mentioning here (including letter limitations). Not going to be actual vocabulary, because as I've said before, I do not speak fluent Hawaiian.

There is a site you can use to find translated words, however. Do NOT use Google Translate, because it is horribly inaccurate.

[spoiler=Islands]

Bolded is confirmed (Bulbapedia mentioned it, and I double checked it off an actual map of this state)

• Melemele Island = O'ahu
  • 'Ākala Island = Maui
  • Southeastern-most = Hawai'i Island (or Big Island so we don't confuse it with the state).
  • Westernmost one = Kaua'i
  • Small one next to it (I think) = Ni'ihau
  • Aether Paradise = Probably Lana'i, comparing it to the map.

Moloka'i got the short end of the stick here (don't see it, or anything that resembles its shape); Kaho'olawe would be where that small island south of 'Ākala is.

----

Naming-wise, the islands are named after the colors associated with them; so far, they're accurate. O'ahu is yellow; Maui is pink. If the above holds true for the remaining two islands; one based on the Big Island will probably be named 'Ula['ula] (Hawaiian for red), and the one based on Kaua'i; either Poni or Māku'e (purple). I need to note that there are multiple names for each color, so which translation they go for is unknown.

----

As for the demo, yeah I agree it's rather short / limited compared to the OR/AS one. Let's see what the 5 days one gives.

Archived