Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looked to me that, excluding the Ultra Beasts, we have a roster of 78 pokemon. You'd think Gamefreak would learn from Gen 6 that what we expect from a new pokemon game are new Pokemon, at least an improved roster. This doesn't even break 800.

I'd not be surprised if Nintendo is reducing the numbers per gen intentionally. There is a point they can hit before they've maxed out the series' creative potential and it jumps the shark. Keeping the number of 'mons each generation low will help to ameliorate that. (Plus, the Alolan forms are basically new Pokemon.)

Now my thoughts:

[spoiler=Thoughts!]Only seven three-stage Pokemon this generation, which seems really low (even compared to Gen6, but I don't have the stats on that one).

With final evos being the same as the Chinese design doc, I'm actually torn. All three are ones I could see myself playing, but tending more towards Rowlet or Litten.

Toucan! Love the Pikipek final evo. If I don't end up choosing Rowlet, it'll probably end up on my team.

On the other hand, not a fan of Crabrawler's evo. Ewwww.

Is that an Electric-type water strider? Neat. Guessing Galvantula was enough of a fan favorite to get a reprise.

The "pendulum thing" is an anchor attached to a ship's wheel. Guessing Ghost-type?

I think my biggest disappointment here is the low amount of Alolan mons. It felt like a huge waste to only have 18 of them. Everything being gen 1 Pokemon aside, it was quite a promising feature and gimmick, but the low amount made it feel like a waste unless future games would explore these regional variants more.

I actually like most of the new pokemon, with one or two exceptions that I don't personally like but they're not that bad concept-wise.

Compared to Gen VI, I think gen VII has better overall roster.

I'm torn. I really hate that this demo has leaked everything so that there won't be any surprises, and I kind of hate the people that datamined it. But at the same time it's really hard to avoid not looking and I don't know how I'll be able to last...

Ok maybe I'll poke around to discuss the demo but then I need to go on Pokemon news blackout. Professor Kukui researches Pokemon moves by letting himself get hit by them to test their power, pretty badass.

sheet. Was about to give in.

Now there's someone else I know that didn't give in.

Now I have a moral example funk... still doing it.

I funking lost it at the guy you get the three Stardusts from at the end of Mahalo Trail. I saw him creeping from behind a totem and I'm like, "It's a pervert!" Then he introduces himself as a mysterious old man and then says for us not to look for him before leaving. I was right. XD

Anyways, done everything in the demo. Short but sweet, I love the full body models and the animations like running, it all feels very nice and smooth. I find it really funny that no matter the circumstance our character maintains his static smile, makes me think of Villager in Smash. Shame the Greninja you get seems to have a set nature (Hardy), but it's cool to bring him over to the full game regardless.

[spoiler=all my reactions please read i am sometimes funny]

- So Aurora Veil, if I’m not wrong here, is Light Screen and Reflect in the same move? So it basically makes the other two useless but also makes those types of moves much more useful competitively.

- Putting Stakeout on a Sweeper sounds like it could be a real problem competitively. Here’s a mon that can kill the one you have out, and if you try to switch, will kill that one anyway!

- Ash-Pikachu makes a whole lot of sense but LOL

- I just want to reiterate that I can’t believe Game Freak included all the sprites of the new Pokémon how dumb can you possible be. I mean really. You clearly understood that people would datamine it but you didn’t replace all the sprites of the Pokémon to do it? REALLY?!

- Alolan Persian just has a big fat head that’s hilarious and I’m never using it.

- Alolan Golem has a big ole beard and whatever is on its back. Using that on at least one playthrough, that’s funking amazing.

- Alolan Dugtrio is even more fab up close.

- Ash Pikachu just has the hats that’s adorable!

- Starter Leaks are real, definitely still going with the Grass starter but I really need to hear their typings so I know if I like or extremely hate the fire starter.

- I’m naming Pikipek’s final evo Toucan Sam and none of you can stop me

- The fighting crab whose name I still don’t know has an evo. Wonder what its typing is.

- Another big mushroom thing (I forgot was that Grass/Fairy?) Looks interesting, but not exactly my style.

- the Poison/Fire evo looks really cool, I might just have to put it on my team, I really like it.

- There’s a spider thing right below pedobear that if you didn’t tell me, I’d say was an Ultra Beast. It looks cool as all hell, I really want to learn what it is

- The mon on the TCG Box art is apparently unrelated to the one we thought and it looks cool. Can’t wait to hear more.

- THE WIMP BUG WATER THING FROM A WHILE BACK’S EVO LOOKS funking DESTRUCTIVE. I KIND OF REALLY WANT IT

- There’s a thing right below Turtonator that looks really weird– like Sygiliph levels of weird. Can’t wait to find out what it is.

- Same page shows that mimikyu, the koala and the puke sea cucumber don’t have evos. The latter two feel really strange to me since they look really weak. Left to rot like Dunsparce. Was hoping evos would be cool but no.

- We got the 4 guardians. One is definitely Water, the pink one is definitely Rock (I’m saying based on its gem-shaped design and the color palate similar to the recently revealed Kahuna). I don’t know about the last one. Could be flying, bug, dragon, idk

- Prevos for the Main Legendaries is so weird but that also makes a lot of sense with the idea of alchemy those changing to become the legendaries. Could be that they change in the story so that you never actually really have the small ones unless you don’t finish the story.

- UB’s all look interesting, and the one with the white hair looks a lot like the Team Skull leader

- Marshadow! Finally. Probably a Dark or Ghost but it’s hard to tell what its other type will be. Gem Eyes are cool. I first mistook the eyes for fire. Like the design. No idea what to really think about it yet.

- Is it just me or do half the shiny Alolan form Pokémon not look any different? 

- Shiny Zygarde is best Zygarde we are all in agreement on that, right?

- Shiny cat starter is really cool too. (and also switches black with white like Zygarde) Other two starter shinies are meh.

- Vikavolt’s shiny is really cool but disappointed I don’t like Rockruff’s as well.

- Poison/Fire is still really cool even in shiny form

- COLORLESS MIMIKYU D’AWWWW

- Black Sandcastle is real nice tbh

- The all white evo of wimpod is really nice as well

- Wait the Koala’s shiny isn’t different, just the color of the thing it’s holding that’s funking hilarious

- The guardian shinies being mostly all black are cool too

- Shiny legendaries are both all red, that’s… really weird actually

- UBs have shinies, weird. I guess they all look cool.

- All and all, I’m actually satisfied with what I didn’t learn from the datamine. Yes, we know what all the new Pokémon look like, but we haven’t the slightest idea of their typing or name, which is what I really want to know. We can infer the typing on some evolutions but others might be totally different so we’ll have to see. Can’t wait to learn more. From what we know and assume, I’m gonna start formulating my teams though. My favorite part of the pre-release hype tbh!

Gonna actually get into discussing this stuff with the rest of you now.

[spoiler=Spoilers]Wimpod Evo looks ridiculous and I love it.

Salandit evo looks like its taking advantage of that Pheromone thing. Would not be surprised to see plenty of R34 of it.

Sea Urchin? Pokemon looks neat, as well as the Water bug.

Anchor looks odd, but I kind of like it. Steel/Water, maybe?

Looks like we're only getting 2 event Pokemon, which I definitely welcome.

Looks like my team is gonna have a lot of type overlap...

Vikavolt/Silvally/Tsareena/Ribombee/That Urchin? Pokemon/The Water Bug

Honorable Mention to Lurantis, Wishiwashi, Minior, and Wimpod. If the Water Spider thing is actually a bug, I might have to replace him with something, probably Minior. Too many cool bug and water Pokemon here.

- So Aurora Veil, if I’m not wrong here, is Light Screen and Reflect in the same move? So it basically makes the other two useless but also makes those types of moves much more useful competitively.

- Putting Stakeout on a Sweeper sounds like it could be a real problem competitively. Here’s a mon that can kill the one you have out, and if you try to switch, will kill that one anyway!

- Ash-Pikachu makes a whole lot of sense but LOL

- I just want to reiterate that I can’t believe Game Freak included all the sprites of the new Pokémon how dumb can you possible be. I mean really. You clearly understood that people would datamine it but you didn’t replace all the sprites of the Pokémon to do it? REALLY?!

- Alolan Persian just has a big fat head that’s hilarious and I’m never using it.

- Alolan Golem has a big ole beard and whatever is on its back. Using that on at least one playthrough, that’s funking amazing.

- Alolan Dugtrio is even more fab up close.

- Ash Pikachu just has the hats that’s adorable!

- Starter Leaks are real, definitely still going with the Grass starter but I really need to hear their typings so I know if I like or extremely hate the fire starter.

- I’m naming Pikipek’s final evo Toucan Sam and none of you can stop me

- The fighting crab whose name I still don’t know has an evo. Wonder what its typing is.

- Another big mushroom thing (I forgot was that Grass/Fairy?) Looks interesting, but not exactly my style.

- the Poison/Fire evo looks really cool, I might just have to put it on my team, I really like it.

- There’s a spider thing right below pedobear that if you didn’t tell me, I’d say was an Ultra Beast. It looks cool as all hell, I really want to learn what it is

- The mon on the TCG Box art is apparently unrelated to the one we thought and it looks cool. Can’t wait to hear more.

- THE WIMP BUG WATER THING FROM A WHILE BACK’S EVO LOOKS funking DESTRUCTIVE. I KIND OF REALLY WANT IT

- There’s a thing right below Turtonator that looks really weird– like Sygiliph levels of weird. Can’t wait to find out what it is.

- Same page shows that mimikyu, the koala and the puke sea cucumber don’t have evos. The latter two feel really strange to me since they look really weak. Left to rot like Dunsparce. Was hoping evos would be cool but no.

- We got the 4 guardians. One is definitely Water, the pink one is definitely Rock (I’m saying based on its gem-shaped design and the color palate similar to the recently revealed Kahuna). I don’t know about the last one. Could be flying, bug, dragon, idk

- Prevos for the Main Legendaries is so weird but that also makes a lot of sense with the idea of alchemy those changing to become the legendaries. Could be that they change in the story so that you never actually really have the small ones unless you don’t finish the story.

- UB’s all look interesting, and the one with the white hair looks a lot like the Team Skull leader

- Marshadow! Finally. Probably a Dark or Ghost but it’s hard to tell what its other type will be. Gem Eyes are cool. I first mistook the eyes for fire. Like the design. No idea what to really think about it yet.

- Is it just me or do half the shiny Alolan form Pokémon not look any different? 

- Shiny Zygarde is best Zygarde we are all in agreement on that, right?

- Shiny cat starter is really cool too. (and also switches black with white like Zygarde) Other two starter shinies are meh.

- Vikavolt’s shiny is really cool but disappointed I don’t like Rockruff’s as well.

- Poison/Fire is still really cool even in shiny form

- COLORLESS MIMIKYU D’AWWWW

- Black Sandcastle is real nice tbh

- The all white evo of wimpod is really nice as well

- Wait the Koala’s shiny isn’t different, just the color of the thing it’s holding that’s funking hilarious

- The guardian shinies being mostly all black are cool too

- Shiny legendaries are both all red, that’s… really weird actually

- UBs have shinies, weird. I guess they all look cool.

- All and all, I’m actually satisfied with what I didn’t learn from the datamine. Yes, we know what all the new Pokémon look like, but we haven’t the slightest idea of their typing or name, which is what I really want to know. We can infer the typing on some evolutions but others might be totally different so we’ll have to see. Can’t wait to learn more. From what we know and assume, I’m gonna start formulating my teams though. My favorite part of the pre-release hype tbh!

[spoiler=Bout the Tapu]Datamine revealed Psychic Terrain too, so the pink one probably has it.

Also banking on Veil being an exclusive move to someone, maybe the starter?

Since Alola is based on Hawaii and as far as I know Hawaii is pretty young geologically, it'd be natural for it to not have fossils.

I'm actually pretty shocked by how much of these are single lines without evo and prevos. Felt a bit of a waste seeing Pyuku and Komala not evolving.

Yea, those two not having evos made me a little confused. Like, Pyuku I GUESS us a suicide Pokémon so doesn't super need it, but Komala really looks like it should have one.

[spoiler=Thoughts!]Only seven three-stage Pokemon this generation, which seems really low (even compared to Gen6, but I don't have the stats on that one).

Toucan! Love the Pikipek final evo. If I don't end up choosing Rowlet, it'll probably end up on my team.

Is that an Electric-type water strider? Neat. Guessing Galvantula was enough of a fan favorite to get a reprise.

The "pendulum thing" is an anchor attached to a ship's wheel. Guessing Ghost-type?

[spoiler=Response]

I only skimmed through but here are my quick counters (at the time of the generations, some families have since become 3 stages)

Gen 1: 14

Gen 2: 6

Gen 3: 14/15 (depends on how you count Wurmple)

Gen 4: 6

Gen 5: 19

Gen 6: 7

This Gen seems normal, especially given the lower Pokémon count over all.

I have not come around on the Toucan. It just looks so generic. And I'm a little sad too since I had hope for Pikipek.

I have REALLY come to like the water strider thing. It just looks REALLY cool. Want a better look at it.

That thing makes total sense and an anchor. Ghost seems like the right type. That or as someone else suggested Water/Steel. But given how beat up it is, some form of Ghost is my guess.

I think my biggest disappointment here is the low amount of Alolan mons. It felt like a huge waste to only have 18 of them. Everything being gen 1 Pokemon aside, it was quite a promising feature and gimmick, but the low amount made it feel like a waste unless future games would explore these regional variants more.

I actually like most of the new pokemon, with one or two exceptions that I don't personally like but they're not that bad concept-wise.

Compared to Gen VI, I think gen VII has better overall roster.

I think we ended up with a good Alolan count. If you think of it as limited to Gen 1 and just going to Pokémon that needed an update that number is about what I'd have expected. Don't get me wrong, I would have like another family or two, but I'm happy with what we got.

I think my favorite thing about the Pokémon is how they all really work with the new region. Like it makes total sense that these are all from Not-Hawaii.

Anyways, done everything in the demo. Short but sweet, I love the full body models and the animations like running, it all feels very nice and smooth. I find it really funny that no matter the circumstance our character maintains his static smile, makes me think of Villager in Smash. Shame the Greninja you get seems to have a set nature (Hardy), but it's cool to bring him over to the full game regardless.

I was curious about the nature. REALLY sucks that they picked Hardy of all things to lock it into.  

[spoiler=Response]

-My guess is Aurora Veil is going to be a signature move or SUPER limited in who gets it.

-The base design of El Tiger has grown on me. Even if it ends up Fire/Fighting I think I'll like it more than Emboar.

-Pretty sure the base form of the crab was pure Fighting. So it either stays that or becomes most likely water. My guess is pure fighting.

-The mushroom is indeed Grass/Fair.

-Agree that the spider thing could be mistaken for an UB. I love the thing's design.

-I was half expecting Mimikyu to not evolve, but agree those other two not doing so is weird.

-Can I just stop for a second and say how awesome the water guardian looks.

-Really want to know what the deal with the Pre-Evos is. The way it is set up looks like it branches to one of the two.

-Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought UB-03 (guessing that is who it is) looks like him. Wonder if the others are keying off a character design.

-I feel like Marshadow is an event Pokémon, but that puts at only one which can't be right....

-Agree not having types, moves, stats, etc does leave a fair bit for us to learn when the games do come out.

[spoiler=Spoilers]

Anchor looks odd, but I kind of like it. Steel/Water, maybe?

Looks like we're only getting 2 event Pokemon, which I definitely welcome.

Too many cool bug and water Pokemon here.

[spoiler=Spoiler]

I could see Water/Steel but some type of Ghost seems more likely from the design.

IT is actually only 1 since we get Magearna very soon.

Makes sense that Not-Hawaii would have a nice selection of Bugs and Water types.

Ah, is it? That makes sense, having an upper 30s, uniquely strong, fully evolved starter immediately would be a bit much. And I don't know how they're doing the leveling control with badges or whatever this game has, but it could be too strong to listen to commands if we got it immediately.

And I'm happy for the cash, gotta start spending it on that fashion ASAP.

Played the demo;

[spoiler=Thoughts]

- The first thing I did was take a look at Greninja. I thought it was neat that the met date was October 17 2013 because that was when the first episode of XY aired in Japan. (Oh and notAsh/Sun coming from Kanto)
- The scenery does look interesting and it was certainly different going to City Hall to register your new address
- I liked the defeated look of the Skull Grunt, eyes widening.
- So Super Potions restore 60 health now. (K, still gonna use MooMoo Milk)
- So the Pokemon have 6-digit ID numbers now.
- Kek, the Skull grunts misspelling numbskull
- I thought it was cute seeing Pikachu on our heads after the Plumeria fight
- That old dude is amusing, pretty much giving you an incentive to visit him multiple times

While playing the demo a bit, some minor things caught my attention. It appears as though you are no longer able to take a seat. Also the + does no longer seem to control the movements of your character. Lastly you can mark your Pokémon without using the PC, and you even have more options (red, blue and unmarked symbols).

The first two points are a minor setback from Pokémon X and Y. I do like the additional marking options though

Tauros is fun as all hell. The fact that you can at any time get a really fast ride that doesn't take any time to bring out and lets you do things without the use of an HM is exactly what I wanted to see from this game.

Now if only they would make it so that water isn't all open to random encounters...

It was super fun. I'm glad you're not kept from using it in towns, too. I talked to all of the NPCs and one of them mentioned that roads are always being maintained so Pokemon can ride on them.

Hopefully the apparent ease of use isn't just for the sake of the demo and it's not limited in some way in the full game.

[spoiler=Further thoughts]

- I had fun riding around in town on Tauros, including charging into the cop outside.

- I kept reloading my demo until I saw Alola Dugtrio for myself, and it's fabulous. It certainly usd L'Oréal, 'cuz it's worth it.

- Pikahat looks quite cool.

- Not the hugest fan of Alola-Persian, but it's not the worst thing in le world

- Alola-Geodude line looks pretty interesting. Golem having pubes is somewhat amusing

- Wimpod's evo looks pretty cool

- The legends having pre-evos (or something along those lines) is rather interesting

One thing's for sure, I'm definitely gonna get a shiny Charjabug and naming it Tornado (I did say at the end of June that I was hoping the shiny would be red), and none of you can stop me.

[spoiler=Further thoughts]

- I had fun riding around in town on Tauros, including charging into the cop outside.

- I kept reloading my demo until I saw Alola Dugtrio for myself, and it's fabulous. It certainly usd L'Oréal, 'cuz it's worth it.

- Pikahat looks quite cool.

- Not the hugest fan of Alola-Persian, but it's not the worst thing in le world

- Alola-Geodude line looks pretty interesting. Golem having pubes is somewhat amusing

- Wimpod's evo looks pretty cool

- The legends having pre-evos (or something along those lines) is rather interesting

One thing's for sure, I'm definitely gonna get a shiny Charjabug and naming it Tornado (I did say at the end of June that I was hoping the shiny would be red), and none of you can stop me.

We have no plans of stopping you. It's just that shiny's are near impossible to find.

And, I made room for the download. Had to delete my Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies game, but for Ash-Greninja, it will be worth it. But I did make backup data of the aforementioned game.

Archived