Ancient Stone of Sealing [Continuous Spell Card]

KoolGoldfinch

[spoiler=''Old Version"]eBtrIUJ.jpg

Ultimate Rare, Continuous Spell Card based off of the idea of sealing Monsters in stone tablets as seen in the final season of the original Yu-Gi-Oh!

LORE:
When this card is activated, choose 1 face-up Monster your opponent controls. While this card remains face-up on the field: The selected Monster is Banished and the Monster Card Zone space it occupied is still considered occupied. Anytime during your opponent's turn, your opponent can pay Life Points equal to the Banished Monster's original ATK points, and if they do so, destroy this card, then Special Summon the Banished Monster back to the opponent's field. If this card is removed from the field by any card effect (except by its own effect): The Banished Monster is still considered banished and cannot be Special Summoned by this card's effect.[/spoiler]

QEXppEb.jpg

Ultimate Rare, Continuous Spell Card based off of the idea of sealing Monsters in stone tablets as seen in the final season of the original Yu-Gi-Oh!

LORE:

Target 1 face-up Monster your opponent controls; as long as this card remains face-up on the field: That target is Banished and the Monster Card Zone it occupied cannot be used.  This card is unaffected by "Giant Trunade" and this card's owner cannot target this card with card effects.  During your opponent's turn: Your opponent can pay Life Points equal the Banished Monster's original ATK; destroy this card and Special Summon the Banished Monster to the opponent's field.  If this card is removed from the field (except by its own effect): The Banished Monster remains Banished and cannot be Special Summoned by this card's effect.

When this card is Activate this card by targeting choosing 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; While this card remains face-up on the field: The selected Monster is banished and the that target, also the Monster Card Zone space it occupied cannot be used while this card is face-up on the field. is still considered occupied. Anytime During your opponent's turn: Your opponent can pay LP equal to the banished monster's original ATK; points and if they do so, destroy this card, then Special Summon the banished monster back to your the opponent's side of the field. (This is a Quick Effect.) If this card is removed from the field by any card effect (except by its own effect): The Banished Monster is still considered banished and cannot be Special Summoned by this card's effect.

A pseudo-Oblivion Ring with only one way out - your opponent losing LP. However, you can just destroy this card yourself and your opponent ends up losing their monster forever - doubly painful if you bait your opponent into paying the LP and then Chain MST, targeting this. You can even target a monster that cannot be Special Summoned at all and your opponent basically loses this card for good.

But it also cuts both ways. Since your opponent can trigger this card at nearly any point during their turn, using this card without thinking things through can result in your opponent benefiting off an additional Special Summon trigger, sometimes at really unusual points in the Duel to create never-before-seen card interactions.

In short, needs some thought to use correctly, but rather easily exploited.

It's probably not strong enough.

Gadjiltron's grammar made the LP payment a cost. If it is not a cost, this card wouldn't burn the opponent if it got blown up in response to the escape effect.

The temporary removal gives you a chance to push some attacks through and make the LP a risky payment, but your opponent doesn't have to pay it. The effect gives too much control to the opponent for the low value of single-target removal.

I changed the OCG to be better, and I wanted to keep it strong.  I do think it's fair, however.  And I know it doesn't matter much, but I also made it Ultimate Rare so that it would be hard to find if at all if it was real.  With an effect like this, you could also expect it to be Limited so that people don't have three of these ready and waiting to annoy their opponent.

I changed the OCG to be better, and I wanted to keep it strong.  I do think it's fair, however.  And I know it doesn't matter much, but I also made it Ultimate Rare so that it would be hard to find if at all if it was real.  With an effect like this, you could also expect it to be Limited so that people don't have three of these ready and waiting to annoy their opponent.

Ahem. Expecting your card to be Limited soon after release is not a good justification for making it a bit too powerful, intentional or otherwise. If you, the designer, acknowledge this card's potential, it's only right that you keep the card in check.

After all, every card that gets released does spend some time at 3 before the banhammer comes stalking.

Now, as for the updated lore:

Activate this card by targeting 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; as long as this card remains face-up on the field: banish that target, is Banished and the Monster Card Zone it occupied cannot be used while this card is face-up on the field. This card is unaffected by, and "Giant Trunade" and this card's owner cannot be targeted this card with, your other card effects. During your opponent's turn: Your opponent can pay Life Points equal the banished monster's original ATK; destroy this card and Special Summon the banished Monster to the your opponent's side of the field. If this card is removed from the field (except by its own effect): The Banished Monster remains Banished and cannot be Special Summoned by this card's effect.

Explanation for changes:

• "Activate this card by..." indicates that you only get to banish one monster with this card (see also Call of the Haunted). Without it, it can be misinterpreted as you being able to repeatedly banish multiple monsters at once with one copy of this card. Not what you're intending, right?
  • PSCT format - activation condition: costs; rest of the effect. Avoid using out-of-place colons and semicolons.
  • Making a card immune to a specific card is way too narrow - eventually there will be other cards that can create odd interactions with this card. I've instead changed it to a universal immunity to your other card effects for extra security. This doesn't cover bouncing this card or getting this card off the field to pay for costs, though. (e.g. Mist Valley Falcon, Emergency Provisions)
  • The final sentence is redundant. The first sentence of the card will already imply that the banish is permanent. The third sentence offers the only way the opponent can get their monster back. Between them, getting rid of this card through other ways will mean the monster won't come back.

Archived