Photon Pirate

300px-PhotonPirate-ZTIN-EN-SR-1E.png

SUNNY/Pirate/Level F-ARRRR/1000 Sword/1000 Panache
You can send 1 "Photon" monster from your Brig to Davy Jone's Locker; this card gains 1000 Sword until the End Phase. You can use the effect of "Photon Pirate" up to twice per turn, matey.

Avast, me hearties, and welcome to International Talk Like A Pirate Day!
Sadly, the wide open seas of Duel Monsters have many accursed Ninjas, but not too many proper scurvy dogs like this one!
As ya can see, this is a proper pirate, taking care of his unruly crew while gainin' a sharper sword!
Discuss this fine example of a buccaneer!

Yar, it's decent by Photon Standarrrrds, (Helps get out yer mighty scaly beast, wipes the deck of landlubbers,) but there's better to man the ship, ya see? And sendin' yer mates to Davy Jones' Locker ain't going to help ye.

He gets an A fer his get-up though.

Finally, another fellow scurvy dog!
Yar, he's a fine piece of work, with his shiny cutlass and his spotless uniform that literally glows!
Sadly, despite bein' the only real pirate in Duel Monsters, he ain't got much goin' for 'im.
Which is a cryin' shame, since those bilge rat Ninjas always get ta sail the high seas of duelin'!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_mDTLphIVY (Yes, I know it's talk like a pirate day but I had to use this.)

So, banish dead Photons for a beater? Eh, doesn't sound very good to me on paper though I better call evilfusion over. *turns on the evilfusion signal*

It's t-arr-ible.

It has no synergy with the archetype. It just pretends that it does.

It's a Level 3, and while Photons have a couple Level 3s, such as Sabre Tiger and Lizard, being a Level 3 offers this nothing. Its effect requires you to have Photons in the Graveyard and...Photons don't do much that involves easily putting Photons in the Graveyard, and when Photons do go to the Graveyard, they want to STAY there so they can be Special Summoned with Galaxy Zero or Call of the Haunted, or even Soul Charge.

Photons pretend they have a shtick with supporting Galaxy-Eyes by having 2000 ATK or a method of getting higher ATK. To this end, Pirate accomplishes it. But I will always mention that Photons just PRETEND that's what their shtick is. That's because Konami/the anime/whatever didn't actually flesh out the capabilities of Photons. They made the whole archetype full of random things that have no practical synergy. And the further into Zexal we went, the more they made Photons into "lol, 2000 ATK -> Galaxy-Eyes". And then they made Galaxy cards that more properly supported Galaxy-Eyes, because Photons were overcompensating.

Photon Cerberus had only 1300 ATK as a Level 3 and locked Traps. It was a good moment for Kaito, but it's ridiculously out of place card for Photons as they developed. Reverse Buster wasn't a Photon and was awesome and could help Galaxy-Eyes. So they nerfed it. Photon Lizard was decent as a searcher, but dependant on whether Photons were good, and they weren't. Photon Thrasher and Photon Crusher were great for Photons and Galaxy-Eyes, enabling Rank 4 Xyz plays with solid ATK that wasn't ridiculous. Photon Sabre Tiger was a TCG exclusive that allowed Photons to get at least a LITTLE card advantage back, and Photon Trident tried to do the same thing by being an ATK boost, a Piercing effect, and an MST when you dealt damage. Again, TCG Exclusive.

By this point in the anime, Kaito started drifting. His Deck used to be a bit odd, but had a lot of combo stuff that could actually work in the anime. He was able to use this strange combo stuff to drop Numbers and/or outplay his opponents. But by this point, Galaxy-Eyes was his card, and being the Number Hunter was just a title. Still an awesome character, but his potential as a Duelist who had already collected a lot of Numbers was being squandered. Much like how Yuma squandered his potential as a Number (39) Duelist. But I digress.

Photon Caesar was cool as a Rank 8 enabler. Photon Delta Wing was random as hell in the anime. Photon Pirate was just another card pretending to support Galaxy-Eyes. Photon Satellite actually was pretty cool and let Kaito Summon Dyson Sphere. For one turn. In an attempt to get Galaxy-Eyes to OTK Tron. *sigh* Look, I LOVE Galaxy-Eyes, but they really hated Photons. And then they made Galaxy support that supported Galaxy-Eyes directly and Neo Galaxy-Eyes, and Photons more or less got abandoned, except for the Paladin of Photon Dragon and Chargeman, both being meh. Paladin was cool, actually.

And THEN the OCG/TCG ignored the anime Photon draw support like Photon Sublimation and Photon Trade.

Long story short, Photons don't even know what the hell they're doing. The best thing this has going for it is it SORT OF sets up Leviair. Except the part where it doesn't.

Photon Sanctuary is the best Photon support card for Galaxy-Eyes. It immediately sets up the Summon for one card. The archetype has no method of gaining advantage, and combos cost lots of it.

Archived