New Yu-Gi-Oh! movie in development

Another film I won't be watching. I ditched YGO movies after 4Kids messed up baddly with POL.

How did 4Kids mess up POL? I thought it was actually a pretty good movie with all the original Voice Actors intact along with actually using the Japanese Cards as opposed to the simplistic Cards of the Dub.

The Duels were meh though.... Kaiba/Yugi and Kaiba/Pegasus with a bit of tacked on villian at the end just to promote Shining Dragon lol.

Will probably suck.

Which won't surprise me, since any movie that's based on a TV series, and has the plot "the heroes must face their greatest challenge ever that will never be referenced in the series" is pretty much doomed to suck, unless it has "Star Trek" in the title.

We know nothing about it except that it'll exist. Does that even warrant a thread?
I guess we could speculate on things, although I see people just saying "It'll suck so I won't watch it" so I don't know how much of that will happen either.

I'll watch it, just because I watch mostly everything Yugioh related. Though I'll do so when it comes online.

I think it's too soon for another movie. I expected Arc V to keep going 3 or so years that it might last, then midway into next gen, we'd get a similar to the 5Ds movie, except with the newer trio of protagonists. It's not a great idea, and it clearly follows a predictable pattern, but that's kind of what I expected to happen.

I suppose Yugi will be there, because Yugi ascended to god or something after DM, and no matter how much the franchise progresses, they'll always include his name in some way.

Other than knowing said movie is coming out, there's nothing we know about it.

Considering that the US is still on ZEXAL last time I checked, it's too soon for Arc-V stuff [even though DUEA will be out in a couple months]

Arc-V only started two and a half months ago, so also another reason. Maybe we'll have it up to Yuma/ZEXAL or something, but again, until more data is revealed, can't really say much. Yugi may make an appearance (considering he essentially is the main character of the whole franchise; most people know him better than the other protagonists)

I'll watch the movie though, regardless.

Parodied version should be funny.

Speaking of.... this is what LK said about the movie on his twitter:

"I really hope the new Yu-Gi-Oh movie is about Yuya coming back in time to the original series and explaining Action Duels... only for Kaiba to laugh at him for 60 minutes because he came up with that years ago. End of movie."

I wonder if it's another crossover duel?

At this point, I kinda think Zexal and Arc V are in their own universe/timeline separate from the main one. And neither of the shows have shown a connection to the original at all, so I think I'd rather they stay separate.

With that in mind, no idea what the movie will be about. If Yuma meets Yugi/whoever else, I guess I'd watch, but meh.

Either way I'll check it out. But I'm really not sure on what to expect.

I wonder if it's another crossover duel?

At this point, I kinda think Zexal and Arc V are in their own universe/timeline separate from the main one. And neither of the shows have shown a connection to the original at all, so I think I'd rather they stay separate.

With that in mind, no idea what the movie will be about. If Yuma meets Yugi/whoever else, I guess I'd watch, but meh.

Either way I'll check it out. But I'm really not sure on what to expect.

Actually ZeXal and Arc V DO have a connection to Yugi's timeline.

In ZeXal there is that Dojo with Yugi's and Kaiba's decks built in stone, as well as a statue of Neos, so Yuma clearly knows about Yugi and Jaden.

Meanwhile in Arc V, someone translated the course listing poster that Yuya was reading at LDS and at least in the translation shown to me the bottom part of the Synchro course row said "Fudou Style", which "Fudou" is Yusei's last name. With Yusei directly linked to Yugi's time through the anniversary movie, you could put them all in the same timeline in some way. The only anomaly would be ZeXal not recognizing the existence of 5Ds.

I wouldn't mind a cross-over, though I'd also like one-shots from previous main characters, which would work better as a set of ovas I suppose, but would hold itself better than cross overs, and I especially would like to see something like that if it's post series end in that character's timeline. I expect someday they could make a sort of spinoff where all main characters get linked in some way a la fan-fic that would explain their absence in the next series. I mean:

-Yugi was supposed to end the series as a duelist that needed no gods or magic artifacts to own the ass of powerful opponents like Zork and Atem, to the point that it even discouraged Kaiba from keeping his eternal quest to be the top. Yet, GX comes less than a decade later and with something so strong around all the big things somehow fall on Jaden's shoulders, and Yugi is aware of it. I'm tempted to think that Winged Kuriboh was a souvenir to help protect Jaden throught the series as he awakened his potential for a big purpose post GX.

-In 5Ds, many people are satisfied with hearing Yusei stayed at Neo Domino and worked on scientific stuff to prevent Synchros from ending the world, but within those final episodes we DID see the point when he was all grown up and everyone was like "Dr Yusei, you did it, now there's nothing to worry about and your work is done". It is then that all the crew members like Jack, Crow, and Aki seem to put flashback faces when thinking of Yusei as if he no longer was with them. It also needs to be said, this is more of an early error but Jaden was somehow no longer around to do anything when Zero Reverse happened even though initially it was said that 5Ds happened around 25 years after. 

-In ZeXal, oddly enough, it was very open ended with potential new enemies to face, but in terms of feeding my long-time theory a la Astro Dude, it just felt less open because it doesn't seem like it can possibly involve any of the other series.

Soooo yeah.

Archived