Pretty Cure! 10 years and still going strong

800px-Fondo_Precure.jpg

Pretty Cure or PreCure is a Japanese magical girl anime metaseries created by Izumi Todo and produced by Asahi Broadcasting Corporation and Toei Animation. Beginning in 2004 with Futari wa Pretty Cure, the franchise has seen many anime series, spanning over 500 episodes to date, as well as spawning movies, manga and video games. Its most recent iteration, HappinessCharge PreCure!, began airing in 2014 as part of TV Asahi's Sunday morning children's television block, following Super Hero Time.

Each of the series focuses on a group of girls, most commonly Japanese schoolgirls in their second year of middle school, who are granted special items that allow them to transform into legendary warriors known as the Pretty Cure (or Precure). With the assistance of creatures known as fairies, the Pretty Cure use their magical powers and enhanced strength to fight against evil forces and organizations who create monsters to bring misery to the Earth and further their plans. As these series progress and stronger enemies appear, the Cures gain new magical items, new abilities, and sometimes new allies to help them in their fight against evil.

The franchises borrows heavily from the mother of all magical girl animes, Sailor Moon as well as some tokusatsu series such as Super Sentai/Power Rangers and Kamen Rider. Like the 3 aforementioned series, Pretty Cure follows a monster-of-the-week format and like SS/PR and KR there's a new series each year.

The Pretty Cure series follows as thus (you don't have to read them all):

[spoiler=Futari wa Pretty Cure]
Futari_wa_Pretty_Cure_cover_1.jpg

February 1, 2004 - January 30, 2005

Futari wa Pretty Cure was the first season in the series, directed by Daisuke Nishio and premiered on TV Asahi February 1, 2004. The story revolves around two girls, Misumi Nagisa and Yukishiro Honoka, who fight the forces of the Dusk Zone — a dimension of evil that encroached on the Garden of Light. The Dusk Zone's power takes the form of the Zakenna , creatures that infect people or items to turn them evil.The Dusk Zone's actions necessitated the escape of two of the Garden of Light's protectors, odd talkative creatures named Mepple and Mipple. They serve as a source of information and peanut gallery for the series and are usually found within Card Communes, transformation devices which resemble mobile phones. For some periods, they can transform into their real selves and interact more easily with each other.The initial run of the series has Cure White and Cure Black searching for the Prism Stones, which they collect in a heart shaped device known as the Prism Hopish. The Prism Hopish is protected by the Guardian, Wisdom. Once they have collected all of the Prism Stones, their power takes them to the Garden of Light and repairs most of the damage.The series motifs are rainbows and hearts.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Futari wa Pretty cure Max Heart]
55969.jpg

February 6, 2005 – January 29, 2006

Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart is the second season of the Pretty Cure franchise and the sequel of Futari wa Pretty Cure. The story continues after the summer break immediately following the first season, and Misumi Nagisa and Yukishiro Honoka are now in their third year of middle school. Because the Dark King is going through a resurrection, the girls reacquire the power of Pretty Cure, and become allies with a new girl, Kujou Hikari, who can transform into Shiny Luminous. Together, the trio start a new adventure to collect the Heartiels to resurrect the Queen.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Futari wa Pretty Cure Splash Star]
Splash_star_013.jpg

February 5, 2006 - January 28, 2007

Futari wa Pretty Cure Splash★Star is the first spin-off or "sequel" from the original Futari wa Pretty Cure, with a continuity reboot. It was directed by Daisuke Nishio and premiered on TV Asahi in Japan on February 5, 2006. The story revolves around two girls, Hyuuga Saki and Mishou Mai, who were chosen by the spirits of the Flower and Bird to become the legendary warriors, Pretty Cure, for the battle against the evil known as the Dark Fall. The Dark Fall's power takes the form of the Uzaina , monstrous creatures created from evil powers fused with items.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Yes! Pretty Cure 5]
Yes%21_Pretty_Cure_5_cover.jpg

February 4, 2007 – January 27, 2008

Yes! Pretty Cure 5 is the fourth season in the series and third series in the franchise, directed by Toshiaki Komura. The story is about a group of five girls who have the ability to transform into Pretty Cure. They have been given this ability in order to collect the fifty-five Pinkies spread across the land and save the Palmier Kingdom. The five girls' powers are based on natural elements, human characteristics and emotions (i.e.: hope, intelligence, etc.) that embody each Cure's personality, and butterflies.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Yes! Pretty Cure 5 GoGo!]
tumblr_mmg5lhKhuq1rksd4uo1_500.jpg

February 3, 2008 – January 25, 2009

Yes! Pretty Cure 5 GoGo! is the fifth season in the series and third series in the franchise, directed by Toshiaki Komura. The story is about a group of five girls who have the ability to transform into Pretty Cure. While in Yes! Pretty Cure 5 they had been given their abilities in order to collect the fifty-five Pinkies and save the Palmier Kingdom, in GoGo the girls have been granted new powers in order to save the Four Kings of the various kingdoms surrounding the Palmier Kingdom and to protect Flora and the Cure Rose Garden from the evil organization Eternal. The five girls' powers are based on natural elements, human characteristics and emotions (i.e: hope, intelligence, etc.) that embody each Cure's personality, butterflies, and roses, particularly focusing on the rarity and mysteriousness of the blue rose.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Fresh Pretty Cure!]
FreshPC.jpg

February 1, 2009 - January 31, 2010

Fresh Pretty Cure is the sixth season and fourth incarnation of the Pretty Cure series by Toei Animation, premiering on February 1, 2009. The series initially focuses on three Cures, Momozono Love, Aono Miki and Yamabuki Inori, who transform into Cure Peach, Cure Berry, and Cure Pine, respectively. Their mission is to defend this world and the parallel worlds from Labyrinth. Midway through the season, a fourth Cure is introduced: Higashi Setsuna, who transforms into Cure Passion. The season's motifs include fruits, clovers, card suits, dancing and happiness.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Heartcatch Pretty Cure!]
Heartcatch.Precure%21.488564.jpg

February 7, 2010 - January 30, 2011

Heartcatch Pretty Cure! is the seventh season of the Pretty Cure Series. In each person resides a Heart Flower, which is connected to the great Heart Tree that watches over everyone. Protecting this tree are the Heartcatch PreCures, who defend it against the Desert Apostles, who plan to wilt everything and turn the world into a desert. However, when the current PreCure, Cure Moonlight, is defeated in battle and the Heart Tree loses its flowers, she sends two fairies, Chypre and Coffret, to the surface in order to seek out her replacement. They find Tsubomi Hanasaki, a shy flower-loving girl that had just moved into the city with her family, who is given the power to become Cure Blossom. Joined by her new friend, Erika Kurumi, who becomes Cure Marine, they fight against the Desert Apostles who transform the wilting Heart Flowers inside people into monsters known as Desertarians. By defeating these monsters, they gain Heart Seeds which allow the Heart Tree to become healthier again. The series has two main motifs. One is fashion, which is referenced to Tsubomi joining the fashion club, which is part of the storyline. And second is flowers, which are prominent in the naming of numerous characters and items, as well as in the main storyline. Additionally, most episodes contain at least one reference to the language of flowers.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Suite Pretty Cure♪]
41651396.jpg

February 6, 2011 - January 29, 2012

Suite Pretty Cure♪ is a Japanese anime series and the eighth series of the Pretty Cure anime franchise by Izumi Todo. Produced by Toei Animation, the series premiered on February 6, 2011, replacing Heartcatch Pretty Cure! on its initial timeslot. The series theme is music. In a place called Major Land, a Melody of Happiness is due to be played, spreading happiness throughout the world. However, an evil man named Mephisto steals the Legendary Score, plotting to turn it into a Melody of Sorrow to spread sadness across the land. Aphrodite, the queen of Major Land, scatters the Notes that make up the Legendary Score into the human world and sends a fairy named Hummy to a place called Kanon Town in order to recover them. There, Hummy meets two girls, Hibiki Hojo and Kanade Minamino, who are chosen to become the Suite Pretty Cure in order to recover the missing Notes and protect everyone's happiness.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Smile Pretty Cure!]
Smpc.2.png

February 5, 2012 - January 27, 2013

Smile Pretty Cure! is a Japanese anime series and the ninth Pretty Cure installment by Izumi Todo. Produced by Toei Animation, the series is written by Shōji Yonemura, who is best known as the series writer of several Heisei Kamen Rider series, including Kabuto, the second half of Decade, and OOO. It began airing on TV Asahi on February 5, 2012, replacing Suite Pretty Cure♪ in its initial timeslot. Somewhere in the universe there exists a place called Märchenland, where characters from fairy tales live. Near the corner of Märchenland exists a world called Bad End Kingdom, where the antagonists of all fairy tales gathered. In order to show everyone the "Worst Ending", the people of Bad End Kingdom traveled to Earth to collect Bad Energy. If the villains succeed, all the worlds in the universe will suffer from the "Worst Ending". In order to prevent the "Worst Ending", the 5 Legendary Warriors, Pretty Cure, need to collect Cure Decor, the power of happiness of Märchenland's Queen. The Cure Decor, however, has been stolen and hidden away. Set to the task of finding Pretty Cure, Candy the fairy follows the 5 Beams of Light to Earth, where she meets a flustered Miyuki, a transfer student on her first day of school, and already running late.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Doki Doki! Pretty Cure]
43856960.jpg

February 3, 2013 - January 26 2014

Doki Doki! Pretty Cure, loosely translated as "Heartthrob Pretty Cure", is a Japanese Magical Girl Anime series, the tenth and the current installment in Izumi Todo's Pretty Cure series. Produced by Toei Animation, the series commemorate the ninth anniversary of the Pretty Cure Series and premiered on February 3, 2013. The Trump Kingdom is a magical world where everyone's hearts live happily with the guidance of their ruler Princess Marie Ange. However one day, an evil force known as the Jikochu attacked the Kingdom. But a warrior who served Marie Ange, known as Cure Sword, fended the Jikochu by herself before being sent to the human world with her fairy partner to find the missing princess.Cure Sword also brought with her three other fairies who are to find three chosen girls to be her allies. One of the fairies, Sharuru, finds a girl named Mana Aida who is her school's student council president. Whilst visiting the Clover Tower's observatory during her school's orientation day, Mana encounters a Jikochu who attempts to manipulate her heart but being found by Sharuru as she gives her the power to become Cure Heart. Joined by Cure Diamond, Cure Rosetta, and Cure Sword, the Dokidoki Pretty Cure must fight to protect everyone's hearts from the Jikochu.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Happiness Charge Pretty Cure!]
HappinessChargePrettyCurePromo.jpg

February 2, 2014-present

Happiness Charge Pretty Cure!, is a Japanese magical girl anime series produced by Toei Animation and the eleventh installment in Izumi Todo's Pretty Cure franchise. It is stated to air on February 2nd, 2014, succeeding Doki Doki! Pretty Cure on its initial time slot. The season celebrates the franchise's 10th anniversary, having been ten years since Futari wa Pretty Cure. The series' themes are mirrors, fashion, dance and desserts. Alongside Nagamine Tatsuya as its director, it will have Narita Yoshimi as its head writer. The ruler of the evil Phantom Empire, Queen Mirage, begins her invasion on Earth using an army of Choiarks and powerful monsters called Saiarks. All across the world, Pretty Cures are dispatched to fight against the Phantom Empire threat. Hime Shirayuki, a princess from the Blue Sky Kingdom, which was taken over by the Phantom Empire, joins the fight as a Pretty Cure named Cure Princess, but always finds herself running away scared. Given a Crystal of Love by the Spirit of Earth, Blue, and told to seek out a partner to fight alongside her, Hime goes to the city of Pikarigaoka (ぴかりが丘?) and randomlys throw the crystal in the air, deciding to partner up with whoever it lands upon. This person turns out to be Megumi Aino, a kind-hearted girl always looking to help others, who is recruited by Hime to fight by her side as Cure Lovely. Using the power of the PreCards and their changing forms, alongside Cure Honey and Cure Fortune, they form the HappinessCharge Pretty Cure team as they are given the task to collect all of the PreCards and defend the Earth against the Phantom Empire.
[/spoiler]

If you want to learn more about Pretty Cure please visit the Pretty Cure Wiki: http://prettycure.wikia.com/wiki/Pretty_Cure_Wiki

Also, don't write this series off as dumb, stupid, gay, etc. just because it's a magical girl series. I know there's a whole slew of you guys out there who love the heck out of Sailor Moon and this series is just Sailor Moon with an updated PR firm.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

This is like the first time anyone's ever created a thread so this, I'm speechless. I'm not sure it's worth it since it's very unlikely to last, but I love the thing to death starting with the original which is still my favorite, going by broadcast date and gotten to about the 7th episode of Smile, which I find better than Yes' beginnings (comparing the number of Cures & the rapid introductions), the only one I was really disappointed in was Suite, for reasons I've already mentioned twice in other topics.

This is like the first time anyone's ever created a thread so this, I'm speechless. I'm not sure it's worth it since it's very unlikely to last, but I love the thing to death starting with the original which is still my favorite, going by broadcast date and gotten to about the 7th episode of Smile, which I find better than Yes' beginnings (comparing the number of Cures & the rapid introductions), the only one I was really disappointed in was Suite, for reasons I've already mentioned twice in other topics.

I know, I love this franchise too and I really hope this helps it pick up even just a little steam, especially since  I worked so goddamn hard on the OP. I'm about 30 episodes into Doki Doki and I've gotta say that my favorite cures are the Pretty Cure 5. It's basically a retooled version of Sailor Moon and that's the major reason why I love it and why I like to call Nozomi "Usagi 2.0". Also, since I haven't read these two "other topics", why do you not like Suite Pretty Cure?

I know, I love this franchise too and I really hope this helps it pick up even just a little steam, especially since  I worked so goddamn hard on the OP. I'm about 30 episodes into Doki Doki and I've gotta say that my favorite cures are the Pretty Cure 5. It's basically a retooled version of Sailor Moon and that's the major reason why I love it and why I like to call Nozomi "Usagi 2.0". Also, since I haven't read these two "other topics", why do you not like Suite Pretty Cure?

Ah... well, I can understand have small little fights that verge on the ridiculous side a little, because that would have added a bit more realism, but in the beginning it just seemed like it was happening far too much. I'm glad they stopped for more than half of the series, but it still left a bad impression in that sense. Then when Cure Muse was introduced you remember how "obvious"

[spoiler=it was supposed to be]Seiren, but to be honest I felt it was even more obvious that they wouldn't go that route. Then they just had to go and make her a Cure anyway, and it felt so much less impactful than the way they dealt with Setsuna.[/spoiler]  

I can't help but still like the leads, but yeah.

Ah... well, I can understand have small little fights that verge on the ridiculous side a little, because that would have added a bit more realism, but in the beginning it just seemed like it was happening far too much. I'm glad they stopped for more than half of the series, but it still left a bad impression in that sense. Then when Cure Muse was introduced you remember how "obvious"

[spoiler=it was supposed to be]Seiren, but to be honest I felt it was even more obvious that they wouldn't go that route. Then they just had to go and make her a Cure anyway, and it felt so much less impactful than the way they dealt with Setsuna.[/spoiler]  

I can't help but still like the leads, but yeah.

I admit the constant bickering was a little ridiculous but I still liked it anyway because Hummy.

New.Stage2.Hummy.Concept.PNG

YOU WILL LOVE HUMMY! LOVE HUMMY OR DIE!

A good starting point... is anything that catches your fancy. I don't really have knowledge on the subject your talking about, but they don't have continuity from one to the next, aside from the obvious sequels. I loved Heartcatch because of it's similarity to Shugo Chara, and dat stuffs kawaii.

I always felt that the first 2 Pretty Cure teams (Cure Black/Cure White & Cure Bloom/Cure Egret) has chemistry between them similar to Kamen Riders #1 and #2 and that every Pretty Cure team from Yes! Pretty Cure 5 had a team dynamic similar to a Super Sentai team.

fwpc02.jpg

double%2Briders.jpg

49738029.jpg

2322r.jpg

If you want to stream: Anime Plus:

http://www.animeplus.tv/yes-pretty-cure-5-go-go-online

http://www.animeplus.tv/yes-precure-5-gogo-movie-online

But the correct answer is: If you want to download it's totally not on Nyaa as far as I can tell but is on BakaBT

Thank you so very much! Say, do you also know where I can watch the Heartcatch Pretty Cure movie without it being all messy and splotchy looking?

Can't remember it looking that way when I watched it, at least not for most of it. Ah, just search Heartcatch on BakaBT, that's what I did. I mean as far as I remember, I'm not supposed to be linking to what can be downloaded, but the unavailability of these movies is probably one of the first reasons why I switched to doing that. 

Can't remember it looking that way when I watched it, at least not for most of it. Ah, just search Heartcatch on BakaBT, that's what I did. I mean as far as I remember, I'm not supposed to be linking to what can be downloaded, but the unavailability of these movies is probably one of the first reasons why I switched to doing that. 

I know, anime movies are a little harder to find than series are but I managed to find all of the other pretty cure movies anyway. It's just whenever I found the heartcatch movie it was all splotchy looking throughout.

Archived