Honorifics in Subtitles

Aix

Well this is a big one. Many people want them in for the sake of preserving as much of the original culture as possible when translated, some prefer to leave it out because of localizations(Commie, FFF, looking at you two, pretty sure more do it but can't recall. Commie's the biggest example for this and just localizing fansubbing overall actually, and last animu I saw was by FFF so yeah). And some people don't really particularly mind either way(There's more people in this side than the localizing side, but I'm not sure if more people prefer to leave the honorifics in or just don't care either way).

Most of the time I don't really care, but for the really cutesy honorifics(-kyun, -tan, the not-so-common ones rarely said and often for overly cute and nice effect) I like leaving them in. Otherwise it's cool. I do like it when they leave it in though.

I'm only ever annoyed when subtitles try to replace honorifics with English titles, like Mr. and stuff, for some reason that irks me a bit.

Yeah, sometimes that works, sometimes that doesn't. With 'Mr.' and all that, sometimes the -san suffix does indeed mean that, but a lot of times they don't carry the same connotations. Two classmates addressing each other with -san does not have the same connotation as the Mr. prefix in English, and it's very annoying when subbers add in Mr. at places like that. There are times when it's fit for, and many times where it's not.

I usually prefer them left in, untranslated, because then it's a reminder to me that it's an honorific. It's a cultural thing that has subtleties that make it a little more enjoyable when recognized as such.

I don't particularly like when they are given English equivalents in the subtitles because it often feels inaccurate or awkward, even if that's the appropriate equivalent.

This is especially the case if someone uses the honorific in a mocking tone. Leaving the honorific in, combined with the tone, makes the intention clearer than if it was translated or omitted entirely.

Yeah, sometimes that works, sometimes that doesn't. With 'Mr.' and all that, sometimes the -san suffix does indeed mean that, but a lot of times they don't carry the same connotations. Two classmates addressing each other with -san does not have the same connotation as the Mr. prefix in English, and it's very annoying when subbers add in Mr. at places like that. There are times when it's fit for, and many times where it's not.

Yeah, I watched sub where they put in "Mr" only when the connotation actually meant that and just put nothing when classmates addressed each other, so I don't actually mind too much.

Yeah, that's why I'm okay with it sometimes and sometimes I want to die after reading that.

But uh, I prefer them left in, but considering I can hear them it isn't always a problem.

Not really a preference. I like them left in for nicknames (such as -chan) and things like Senpai where they just refer to them by the honorific.

I find the already formal honorifics like -sama work well when translated (Lady, Lord)

I have seen one DVD set that has 2 subtitle tracks. One with and one without.

Keep the subtitles in f***ing English. 

Honorifics aren't too bad,  but when they start putting outright Japanese words in the subs and having a translator's note telling what the word means we've reached a point of hopeless weabooism. 

I don't like it, though, when they translate Youkai to Daemon.

I'd prefer it if the fansubbers made the subtitles a little more "westernized." That is, to reword the dialogue a little so it doesn't sound so...lifeless and robotic? But, that's a personal preference from a western viewer.

Honorifics, I like the idea of "Mr."/"Ms."/"Mrs." over whatever the closest-to-correct honorific is used.

I'd prefer it if the fansubbers made the subtitles a little more "westernized." That is, to reword the dialogue a little so it doesn't sound so...lifeless and robotic? But, that's a personal preference from a western viewer.

But a lot of fansubbers do. There's lots of different fansub groups.

Honorifics, I like the idea of "Mr."/"Ms."/"Mrs." over whatever the closest-to-correct honorific is used.

But half the time, you'd be addressing your classmate as Mr. Smith.

Archived