Official Attack On Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) Anime and Manga Discussion Thread

S7TjN.jpg

This is the first tragedy/dark fantasy anime I've ever seen, and it's a solid story for what has been given to us. Although incomplete at the moment, the story pulls you in with each definitive moment that brings forth a life lesson that only applies if an apocalypse were to actually happen as a result of creatures of unknown origin. Sometimes you must become the monster that can destroy you in order to fight back. Sometimes you must sacrifice your humanity to save humanity itself.

[spoiler=Every character is unique in their own way.]Eren Jaeger was driven to slaughter all the Titans after what happened to his mother, especially at the time, he couldn't do anything about it. He had more motivation than the other trainees alongside him would ever have. Even in the brink of death, his motivation led to his survival, thus becoming a sentient Titan himself, albeit with absolutely no control over it besides his motivation to kill all the Titans. He's also driven by the "If we don't fight, we don't win!" motive, pushing himself to the utter limit to justify his actions. He is definitely one of my favorite characters because he perseveres through everything.

Mikasa Ackerman is another great character. At first, I was a bit unclear of what she was like. From what I could tell, she was monotone and had no emotion or care for the world. And in some retrospect, I wasn't that far off. She had emotions, as she was motivated to protect Eren, to the point of forcing Eren to survive on what's been given to them. However, she is just as driven to fight as Eren is, albeit with far more experience and has less to show for in some retrospect. But what shocked me the most was how she became who she is in the present time.

Her parents were killed by thieves and she was taken to be sold as a sex slave. But then comes Eren, who kills Mikasa's captors, albeit except one accidentally, and helps her to her feet. It's then the third thief comes unexpectedly, and Eren is being choked to death. It's then that Eren repeatedly utters his motivation of fighting onto Mikasa. She herself was scared because all she could do was give up. However, in that moment, she realize how cruel the world is, and that if she doesn't fight, her life would mean nothing. She's one of those characters who had more mystery to her at first, but becomes far better known when her own intentions are revealed.

Armin Arlert isn't as amazing, but still a great character nonetheless, and is definitely the one to fully understand the analogy of sacrificing your own humanity to destroy your enemy. Armin himself doesn't have that much of a past that was revealed as of yet, but we learn a lot about him throughout the 5 years that the anime's time span is within. Armin isn't a fighter, which is understandable. Out of 3 main characters in an anime, there should always be one who doesn't have the ability to fight, but is highly intelligent and understands battle tactics better than anything.

He has had his defining moments. Armin believed at one point that he was completely useless and could not keep up with Eren and Mikasa. He believed that he always had to be saved because he couldn't fend for himself. However. Eren and Mikasa never thought of him like that. As a result, when Eren was at risk of being executed after coming out of a Titan, Eren left the decision up to Armin. He could either help defend Eren's case, or stand back. He chose to fight for his friend's survival. And while he failed at it at first, you can feel his loyalty and the fact that he's willing to give everything he's got to ensure survival, and even ensure a chance for humanity to be saved.

(Maybe it's the hair color and the voice, but Armin at times reminds me of Naruto if he didn't have the ability to fight.)[/spoiler]

It's understandable that the creator is currently having money issues, so the chance of a second season seems a bit iffy. However, there are many things about the story that remains unanswered. And there seems to be plot holes as well, but they will most likely be covered up if a second season comes into fruition. The story is amazing. It shows just how much weaker humans are in comparison to more powerful inhuman enemies. And again, the analogy brings forth a good point: sometimes you must become the monster you fear in order to overcome it. Sometimes you must sacrifice your humanity to ensure their very survival.

In my opinion, I give this series an 8/10.

But enough of my thoughts, I want to hear what you guys think. Have at it! :D

P.S. I found this awesome custom-made wallpaper, which could give us an idea of what's to come in Season 2, if ever.

[spoiler=WARNING! Large Wallpaper Incoming!]Attack-on-Titan-All-TItan-Pictures-HD-Wa[/spoiler]

Eren and Mikasa are actually really typical characters.

If you are going to give a 8/10, can you tell us what made you dock those last two points?

I cannot see how they wouldn't have enough money considering how Attack on Titan is one of the most popular manga/anime at the moment.

Overrated and overly grimdark anime, really they should re-name the whole series to "Emo Kids Fighting Giant Featureless Nude Things" since to me thats really what it is. If i were to ever rate it, id give it a 3/10 at most.

EH, 8/10 doesn't necessarily mean it had to have problems knock 2 points.  I like to think everything starts at 5/10 and go up and down based on goodness or badness.   Personally I'd give it a 9/10 at least. 

If it had no problems, it would be perfect, a.k.a. a 10.

Overrated and overly grimdark anime, really they should re-name the whole series to "Emo Kids Fighting Giant Featureless Nude Things" since to me thats really what it is. If i were to ever rate it, id give it a 3/10 at most.

I don't see what you mean by "overly grimdark", if that's the mood/tone an anime wants to set, you can't really criticize it for that. I'm sure you'd be emo as well if you were in the situation. You could just as well say Eva is "Coward fighting weird alien thingies".

My personal score is also a 8/10. Badly paced, typical characters, but it was exciting.

I don't see what you mean by "overly grimdark", if that's the mood/tone an anime wants to set, you can't really criticize it for that. I'm sure you'd be emo as well if you were in the situation. You could just as well say Eva is "Coward fighting weird alien thingies".

I mean as in they went too far with setting a grimdark tone, they could of at least put some restraint on it. Regardless of whether id feel the same way in the situation doesnt make me feel sympathetic or like the characters one bit at all (To me the way the characters are is the worst part of AoT). Surely some of the animes that i enjoy are pretty grimdark (Evangelion, Madoka Magica, Angel Beats etc.) but at least they have some restraint on themselves.

Hm. I think I'm totally immune to darkness or something. I don't care at all. But yeah, they just made a whole bunch of characters die for the sake of people dying.

I disagree.  "Problem," is subjective.  A show could have nothing really notably wrong with it but still not be a good enough to warrant a 10/10.

Often, people just don't actually realize what's wrong though and can't put their finger on what it is that is missing. Otherwise, a show could just be "unengaging", "bland" and stuff like that, which are still flaws.

• 1 month later...

Archived