YuGiOh next anime?

liavcol

Oh yeah, to add to Machismo's detrimental point, Zexal is also making it okay to blatantly cheat. 

Both Yuma and his enemies create cards out of thin air to turn the entire situation on its head.

If that was their way of circumventing 5Ds' issue with having absurdly specific effects, this wasn't the way to do it.

Shining Draw, I don't even.

That's what I'm saying. ZEXAL is just the worst.

I mean, not only do they use these crappy Xyz123s, they play some liquor magic and spawn cards while drunk.

Actually, I always thought it would be interesting to see a return to the original cast play with modern metagame decks and see how that would play out. But I suppose it wouldn't work returning to those guys for reasons mentioned earlier in this thread.

I think the main problem for me is I'm expecting better storytelling and characters out of a show which is mainly supposed to just advertise new cards for the game which I don't play anymore >_>

Actually, I always thought it would be interesting to see a return to the original cast play with modern metagame decks and see how that would play out. But I suppose it wouldn't work returning to those guys for reasons mentioned earlier in this thread.

I think the main problem for me is I'm expecting better storytelling and characters out of a show which is mainly supposed to just advertise new cards for the game which I don't play anymore >_>

Yeah. 

I'm telling you, 5Ds had some of the best story for a few reasons. 

1. Archetypes. Something the original seemed to hate.

2. 5Ds isn't just a bunch of babies playing the game, like ZEXAL. 

3. GX kinda hit the funky side rather fast, but I rank it 2nd. The whole spirit thing was a little lame to me, and it was almost laughable that Luna carried it on in 5Ds. It was better in 5Ds though, sorta.

4. CARD GAMES ON TEH MOTORCYCLZ!

Yeah. 

I'm telling you, 5Ds had some of the best story for a few reasons. 

1. Archetypes. Something the original seemed to hate.

2. 5Ds isn't just a bunch of babies playing the game, like ZEXAL. 

3. GX kinda hit the funky side rather fast, but I rank it 2nd. The whole spirit thing was a little lame to me, and it was almost laughable that Luna carried it on in 5Ds. It was better in 5Ds though, sorta.

4. CARD GAMES ON TEH MOTORCYCLZ!

1. Yeah, but GX had them too. E Heroes, Neo Spacians, Ojamas, Cyber Dragons, and...drawing a blank, so maybe you have a point.

2. Well, I don't really have a problem with the cast being younger, just with half of them being cheerleading fodder. I actually like Yuma, Shark, Kaito and Astral, though the show's executed them weirdly sometimes.

3. Eh, to me I think I liked it better in GX. But I just found the whole concept silly from the start.

4. Yeah man, but what about 

CARD GAMES WITH

wait for it,

SUPER SAIYANS.

_____

To add to the realism bit, I had an epiphany earlier today.

The Yugioh anime (especially the anime) and manga are actually detrimental to the playerbase it sells to.

How often are viewers taught that every card has worth, no matter how trash it is, with the character winning with said trash card in a situation set up to make the card look godly?

Or, that relying on luck ("I believe in my deck") is better than being a good player?

They did stretch that too much. There should be a mix in both sides for that tbh.

Believe in the deck you assembled, but you also play a part when knowing how to use the pieces that deck puts in your hands.

But ZeXal is practically an insult for people that are a little bit more deck-builders than players (points at self).

Or, that wasting 7 cards to destroy 1 is okay?

Giving main characters terrible cards and having them pull victories with them 99% of the time, the anime is partially to blame for educating players into this mindset that playing bad cards is okay, and that playing good cards is evil. If it wasn't obvious enough from Yugioh's insistent on being overly preachy about the "Heart of the Cards", 5D's even had that stupid 3 year-long arc about people wanting to run good cards causing Judgment Day.

The way the game was, that is possible, but the way the powercreep has to grow in this format to keep the game alive, the gap between bad and good cards gets wider, the idea of "believe in your cards no matter how bad they seem" gets more and more stupid as time goes on, and for people that have been into the game for a while, one realizes there are filler cards that never had a time, and never will, to be good at all, in such an obvious way that not even some of the most casual players would use it.

Parents say "too much TV rots your brain." I say the Yugioh anime rots card gamers brains.

Considering the show's main purpose is to promote cards, it fails at teaching the game properly. Many cards are never released IRL, many cards end up nerfed or beefed, and sometimes even some rulings they get them wrong. I'd say it has a lot of misleading information to it.

The next show needs:

-To be accurate with the game. Have the people in charge of the show communicate with whoever is in charge of the balancing of stuff.

-To have good animation. I'm tired of excess of cheap CG. I'm probably asking too much with this.... Vanguard duels' animation puts Yugioh's to shame.

-To have solid characters. Many hate Yuma, many don't even remember some of the names of recurrent characters in the show. GX had that part right.

-To have a good story. GX's story was improvised, 5Ds' story was complicated and sketchy, and rushed, and dragged, ZeXal's.... what was the focus again?

-To be consistent.. or at least somewhat try to be. Look at pretty much any generation. Mainly I can talk for ZeXal and 5Ds. Their first episodes were much better animated early on. At some point 5Ds started abusing CG and reverted to "destroyed = there's an explosion".

Archived