YuGiOh next anime?

liavcol

As the weeks pass I get more and more exicted of the YuGiOh anime for 2 reasons:

1. The plot of YuGiOh ZEXAL II gets really really interesting.

2. I followed the dates of the releases and the ends of the YuGiOh animes and saw that each show started about 1-2 weeks after the end of another which means that soon, another YuGiOh anime should begin.

So, what are your thoughts? Will there be another anime? Do you want another anime? What do you think that will be in the new anime?

I personally think that the sould stop with new types of cards for a while and make an anime that is based around Summoning  both Xyz and Synchros and even use Turbo Duels...

While using Turbo Duels would be nice, I feel like that was just a "5D's thing" and probably won't be repeated. I do think that they'll probably release another anime after ZeXal. I'm not too sure on the name. I know I'd like to see another anime, but personally, I would like to see what happened to Yugi between the end of the original series to the start of GX. I know they give hints in GX but to be honest, I never really liked GX much compared to 5D's or ZeXal, so I try not to consider it as part of the series. I think that showing Yugi without the Pharaoh could be an interesting anime (about 26 eps is enough) but I doubt it will happen. Most people are probably happy leaving that story as it is. Most likely, they'll probably just make another anime, set even further in the future after ZeXal, with some new types of cards, a new protagonist and it'll probably be fun to watch. Oh, if they do make another anime, I would like to see a female duelist take the lead role as the protagonist. That would be a nice change of pace.

It was a standard of a week.

If I'm on honest I got bored of the anime after 5D's. I mean a friend managed to persuade me only to watch it for JACK, then I found the twins at the end of 12. Zexal just never interested me and the same friend who got me into 5Ds I don't speak to anymore. After the 5Ds manga I will probably stop collecting YGO and focus on Pokemon (XY, BW2, BW, RS, E, LGFG still go through). Hate to say goodbye to a series who got me alot of internet friends, but my interest as faded.

As for the start of a new anime, I reckon they would as the OCG/TCG is still going strong and if they can milk the cow they will. I don't see them ever sticking to what they have as every series has tried to add something new to the mix, although GX added a specific Duel School rather than a card type. (And continuing the changing the cards in the TCG/OCG game like Flame Wingman, first anime appearance Judai could summon with Monster Reborn, card says no. And it was brought up again in 156)

Riding Duels seemed gimmicky at the time although I did like how 5Ds added the damage to the riders as they dueled through both hitting the Track barriers (like the Earthbound Gods tracks) as a result of an attack knocking the D-Wheel or damage from attacks such as when Placido was tore into pieces. Don't think it would work well outside of the 5Ds anime/manga series.

As long as 4Kids don't make their own series like Capsule Monsters a rip of Series 1/0's Capmon I could deal.

Following Yugi I think would be dull I mean what is there else to do with his character? Now the Sennen items are gone he and Ryou lose some. (Then again I loved Ryou's fighting with Yami No Bakura in Series 1/0) develop opportunities (since both Atemu and Yami No Bakura were used as development platforms as well as their friends), although I would have loved to have more about Ryou's deceased sister Amane in the anime and manga (although it was hinted he had a close bond with her when he wrote a letter to her in the manga).

To me Yu-Gi-Oh was better in it's early days with Death-T and Kaiba as a complete psycho and many games. Then again I could find majority of duels skippable unless my favourite character was dueling. (I still have a few eps of 5Ds and GX I've never seen on purpose).

While using Turbo Duels would be nice, I feel like that was just a "5D's thing" and probably won't be repeated. I do think that they'll probably release another anime after ZeXal. I'm not too sure on the name. I know I'd like to see another anime, but personally, I would like to see what happened to Yugi between the end of the original series to the start of GX. I know they give hints in GX but to be honest, I never really liked GX much compared to 5D's or ZeXal, so I try not to consider it as part of the series. I think that showing Yugi without the Pharaoh could be an interesting anime (about 26 eps is enough) but I doubt it will happen. Most people are probably happy leaving that story as it is. Most likely, they'll probably just make another anime, set even further in the future after ZeXal, with some new types of cards, a new protagonist and it'll probably be fun to watch. Oh, if they do make another anime, I would like to see a female duelist take the lead role as the protagonist. That would be a nice change of pace.

I think that it may be right for them to make the new plot set in the anciant past instead of further into the future. However, I don't really want to see a female protagonist at all and I think it would be pretty strange. 

Ancient version could make the dub even more stupidly timed. The Dub already gives a date before Ancient Egypt really started (3997 BC) and the Japanese version (1997 BC which is Middle Kingdom), if it was lead by the Japanese team I could deal. I just feel it was all done before and doesn't need doing again. I mean Pegasus already really showed from the Stone slabs to the Cards.

It will feel like a 'because we can' Anime. Like 5Ds and GX (felt like it'd be made for a younger audience) felt like at first.

I think it would be fun if they made another series like the "season zero", but I doubt they will made one. I just hope the next main character isn't annoying as Yuma or Jaden at the start of Zexal/GX.

It would be nice to see what happened with the Yugi/Jaden/Yusei after the series...

Most likely, they'll probably just make another anime, set even further in the future after ZeXal, with some new types of cards, a new protagonist and it'll probably be fun to watch.

Time for an extreme cyberpunk dystopian sci-fi against an oppressive government. Or... DUELING WITH MECHS!

Oh, if they do make another anime, I would like to see a female duelist take the lead role as the protagonist. That would be a nice change of pace.

Hunger Games tiem.

If there is another series, they should overhaul the card layout design, because Yugioh cards look PLAIN as sin. I've been playing other card games lately that have card designs that are beautiful and eye-catching, and then, I look at Yugioh, and see nothing but boring all over.

Anyway, for the past year, I've really gotten into the Cardfight!! Vanguard anime since Bushiroad is dubbing it themselves on Youtube. CFV is lighter in story than Yugioh, and is more blatant in card advertisement. It's not about ancient pharoahs fighting monsters with snake genital\s, or Mary Sues going Super Saiyan on flying motorcycles. It's about people who get together after school and play cards, compete in card tournaments, anything related to real world cardgames. Best of all, CFV has superior pacing, and story arcs wrap up fast (4 or so episode-long touranment arcs), so there's never/rarely any padding, which means more content per season. But, the one big thing that stood out to me is that in the early episodes, the characters are often shown buying booster packs and making edits to their decks, and testing the changes, which adds a level of realism that Yugioh has never had (okay, there was that one episode where Yugi bought the pack and got a Lightforce Sword.) Heck, I tune in every week just to see the new card they're plugging for the next pack.

I guess that's why I stopped caring about Zexal. It seem more concerned about telling a terrible story about collecting a stash of 100 cards (aside from one notably terrible season of Power Rangers that made it watchable, "gotta catch em' all" stories are never good) pushed aside by a story about Negaverse wannabes and throwing overdramatic poses, special effects, and bad CGI on the screen instead of being a show about playing cards. Watching Zexal recently for the first time in months, the show was, much like it's card game as of 2013, boring.

For a new Yugioh series, they should go for a "real-world" approach where it's a hobby, and not a "save the world from the Negaforce" thing, or a worldwide obsession that ends with Judgment Day (that is still the worst storyline ever written. Ever.), and tournament arcs are central to the story. Gundam is doing a similar thing with their model kit line by making a new series about people who build Gundam models as a hobby to sell to models while also throwing lots of fanservice into the faces of longtime fans.

If there is another series, they should overhaul the card layout design, because Yugioh cards look PLAIN as sin. I've been playing other card games lately that have card designs that are beautiful and eye-catching, and then, I look at Yugioh, and see nothing but boring all over.

No offense, but that would suck if they did that. I love the way the cards are currently designed. If you don't, then why not buy Yu-Gi-Oh custom oricas? That way you can have them designed the way you want. Don't try and ask for something to be changed just because you want it changed. Think about everyone else. Personally, I've always found the other designs used in games such as Vanguard and Pokemon to be horrible. The style of Yu-Gi-Oh cards are so much more fun and consistent without trying to push colors everywhere onto a card. But meh, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so you'll like what you like and I'll like what I like.

On another note, I do like the idea of making an anime series that's based around the real world, with booster packs and deck edits. However, I still think they should include the holographic monsters aspect, otherwise the show would seem rather dull.

Each series did hint towards the future.

GX tells us Jonouchi and Yugi are pro duelists (I cannot remember if Seto was mentioned in that same list, but he did go on to found the Duel Academia). Pegasus is still working in design as his company employed Hayato (Different from the Manga as he was murdered by Yami No Bakura). The rest of the cast are not mentioned.

GX Season 4 hints towards what will happen in the future: The Marufujis starting a Pro League together, Asuka becoming a teacher, Manjoume going pro (I believe his duel against Edo helped him find a Sponsor) . Fubuki would probably go into showbiz and Judai wasn't mentioned. Alot of these were hinted through the Darkness visions during 173 and 165.

5Ds 154 explains what happened to the cast: JACK became King, Crow leaves his team and recommends Rua. Rua and Ruka have moved to London and Rua is aiming to become a Pro Riding Duel Champion.

I think they let people think what would happen to the main character by themselves. We did see Judai go on a journey because he had the letter with well wishes from his friends and Chronos-sensei. Makes me wonder what happened to Daitokuji-sensei though.

I would like to see what happens after GX as Jaden is my favorite YuGiOh character. More than that it would be really cool if they'll make an anime that is happening in another planet or in outer space or something or in an anciant kingdom but without any refference to the future. And for those who says that ZEXAL is bad.... you are extremely wrong! 

Opinion on Zexal, you cannot just say people are wrong.

Outer space would just be beyond silly (Neos Spacian/Yubel storyline was silly enough), I already outlined the issue with Ancient Kingdon. The Sennen Items and everyone referring to Ancient Egypt are the reason no other civilization should mentioned (this is why I disliked the Atlantis reference)

Opinion on Zexal, you cannot just say people are wrong.

Outer space would just be beyond silly (Neos Spacian/Yubel storyline was silly enough), I already outlined the issue with Ancient Kingdon. The Sennen Items and everyone referring to Ancient Egypt are the reason no other civilization should mentioned (this is why I disliked the Atlantis reference)

1. You are right, I can't just say that people are wrong. Sorry.

2. I hope there will be an anime just for Neos lol. Although he is just a duel spirit in the show and not really a character, he is my childhood hero, no kidding, there was no Spider-Man or Super-Man for me, there was Elemental HERO Neos!

3. I actually would like to see something like another ancient kingdom using duel monsters because it's like showing that YuGiOh existed ever since and it would be cool to see how other civilizations used YuGiOh. Also, the story of the Barians from ZEXAL is like this, it also shown an ancient Duel between 2 kings and I've found that pretty interesting... 

Using too many Ancient Civilizations can sort of divert from where they based the game, in Ancient Egyptian's Ba and Ka concepts. The Ba the person (in Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters this was in the form of a monster such as Diabound, Dios) and Ka (lifeforce). I mean GX's manga tripped over the Duel Monster's Anime with Tragoedia, and the 2nd movie made by 4Kids (it's American release was before the Japanese release so it's widely believed the Japanese version is the Dub) tripped over Duel Monsters alot of times. (As well as using Anubis' name in vain) and incorrect use of term Ultimate Shadow Game (which was played in the final season). You mean how Ancient Civilzations used the Spirit Monsters rather than King of Games which Yu-Gi-Oh translates as.

As for Barians, are they a legitimate Civilization or made up for sake of ZeXal? If the latter, then they don't really qualify.

If they used other Ancient Civilizations they would need to do it right and not make a mistake like 5Ds with the Nasca lines mixing Inca and Aztecs.

If they did another series, I would love them not to borrow fanfic ideas such as Judai vs Yugi (2 episodes I refuse to accept happened and skip the duel) and Movie 3 (Which for that reason I don't want to watch)

I think I see a subtle hint at what next gen is going to be like. Some cards have appeared that require no Extra Deck to be used, and after all the ZeXal stuff is done with, and all the people get sick of using so much Extra Deck as a mandatory thing for pretty much 99% of decks. Though, I don't think the game will go back to how it was in any older generations, and probably will just powercreep to discourage current Extra Deck centric builds, causing some pretty heavy control.

To be honest, I think Konami should start rotating or reset the game. They already showed to have very few ideas for new cards at this level of power as is, resorting to "negate" effects all over the place, and going to insanely weird effects like Neo Tachyon Dragon's to keep the public's interest.

Contrary to other people's opinions, GX was a pretty decent show. The concept was stupid when you compare it with the seriousness that DM had, but after time passed, I've found that their gameplay was more varied, more balanced, the characters were solid, and it was just episodic laughs that helped me relax. I disliked it back in the day, but I'd put it not inferior than 5Ds at all, just a different atmosphere that makes it hard to compare. It also brought a few of my all time favorite artworks, like Rainbow Dragon.

I also don't see why the opposition to a female lead. It's been 4 guys already, and although the main fans and demographic is male, why would it hurt? I wouldn't usually really care about it, but Yugioh has particularly made girls pretty incompetent through time, in a way that just stands out for me a lot and I feel they should make-up for it. The last females have been disappointing for the most part.

-Aki was all great and baddass, but the show just kept putting her down. She could take pretty violent attacks without blinking in season 1, but by the time team unicorn's duel happened, she had her range of suggestive angles, positions, and cried at every attack from the unicorns, which they attacked from behind with their horns. That's without mentioning how while her losing her powers could make sense, it just weakened her overall at the most crucial times, and how from early Dark Signer's arch she was starting to be Yusei's cheerleader already. Cheery never did anything significant. She was just a tool to have team 5Ds get more obstacles and an excuse for the writers to not show Paradox at the end, even though Paradox never really had an excuse stated as to why he wasn't around.

-Kotori, Kathy, Rio, and Anna are not exactly great, and downright unrealistic or annoying. Anna pushes herself in too hard and doesn't really have a reason to be there. Kathy is Hinata from Naruto made poorly. Kotori doesn't make sense. She's been friends with Yuma and Tetsuo for years, but doesn't even know how to duel. That would be fine in a more varied and normal relationship, but all those 2 ever do is Duel and barely anything else, so if she's not interested in learning, she should leave, and if she IS interested, she should join them and also be on pair with them at dueling from the start. She's neither, it's like society had told her she was meant to be a cheerleader. The times she's said Yuma's name with a worried expression now surpasses the times Yusei said "Mirai" and Aporia "Zetzubou". Rio is good at anything and everything she does and beats every club leader at school in their own thing without cheating. I'll leave aside how this is clearly Mary Sue and instead will focus on how despite her skills and how she has the looks and has actually a not a bad personality, all the boys after her started ignoring her and calling her things, losing interest after she's shown what she can do. Shouldn't it damn be the opposite? They were bested and couldn't stand a girl being that good. really? What's up with this series?

ZeXal II only really has the highlight of Vector's reveal. I consider it inferior to ZeXal I when looking back, and inferior to all other Yugioh generations. It powercreeped the game to OTKs and BS moves. The biggest plot-twist outs from characters are either "Negate everything" cards or Deus Ex Machina asspulls of ZeXal Weapons. The show itself is getting too busy and over-the-top for me. There is no real pressure because Yuma will CREATE his own out if he didn't have one in his deck no matter how much he falls behind in the Duel, and he has an Extra Deck that's almost twice as big as Jaden's, but he only uses Hope and maaaaybe 34 or 17 every 60 or so episodes. The show actually has some bad continuity on several points I've talked about before, as well as lots of wasted potential. The comment I could make on ZeXal alone could surpass the length of this post, so I'll just leave it at that.

I'll finish this comment for now by saying that I really hate CG animation being too notorious in anime. Ever since 5D's after the Fortune Cup, it's been the case.

I'm thinking Konami actually gives a really shitty budget to the crew that make the anime, in addition to the crew giving 50% or more of it to Kotori's animation and dress changes, because she is clearly more important than the budget for the duels. How come a smaller game like Vanguard can have more well-animated games?

CG doesn't look big and amazing to me, in fact, Hope equipped with ZW Leo Arms was supposed to be the baddass-looking climax, and I can't even recall how it looked like compared to, say, the Sacred Beasts of GX. Then the time Vector revealed he was Shingetsu, Vector's animation was great, but everyone else was way off with weird expressions and crappy eyes. Something in the way they distribute their budget sucks hard. Maybe it's all the glow lines in the characters' hair or something that's eating away their money.

I also don't see why the opposition to a female lead. It's been 4 guys already, and although the main fans and demographic is male, why would it hurt? I wouldn't usually really care about it, but Yugioh has particularly made girls pretty incompetent through time, in a way that just stands out for me a lot and I feel they should make-up for it. The last females have been disappointing for the most part.

I'm glad someone else agrees with me that a female lead would be a nice change. I have to agree that Yu-Gi-Oh has been putting female characters down lately. Although I do like Kotori, I wish she did actually duel and know the game properly. Unfortunately, I really doubt they'll give us a female lead but I'd certainly love to see it. I know most people are gonna find it weird at first, but that's what a lot of people said about the idea of 5D's and "card games on motorcycles", but hey, after watching it, most of them changed their minds and thought it was a great idea. I'm almost certain that it would be the same case if a female took the lead in a Yu-Gi-Oh anime.

______

Likely because card game playerbases tend to be male. When was the last time anyone heard of a woman winning a Yugioh Worlds, or a Magic tournament? It's (almost, in case there is some tournament I never heard of) always a guy winning.

In a way, card game-based shows are sort of cursed to, in a way, not really care for it's female audience. Sure, they might be buying cards, but the company doesn't acknowledge their existence because it's the boys they go for because it's mostly boys who buy cards.

Other product-pushing shows like Power Rangers have this problem too. In 20 years for the US series, and 37 for the source material, there has never been a full-time female leader. There was the female Red in SPD, but she was leading a non-primary team, and the other female Red in Samurai/Shinkenger, but she only led the team for 4 of the 40/50 episodes. There was Time Force, where it's implied the Pink Ranger is in charge, but the show repeatedly pushes Red as the leader, and Wild Force, where Yellow (supposedly) runs the team in the first episode because her experience and seniority, but is promptly bumped down because newcomer Red joined the team, and the lion is the king of all animals, and yada yada. The female members in the US seasons tend to get stuck with the standard equipment rolled over from the source material, while the guys get addtitional US-only personal weapons and vehicles later on (this was joked about once in the show.) Why? Because Power Rangers is aimed at boys. Therefore, the boys will care more about red, green/black, and blue over pink and yellow.

This isn't an excuse to justify the general uselessness of women in Yugioh. This is more of a why Yugioh is against having a strong female protagonist for a series.

Sadly, the only way I can see a female protagonist happening in Yugioh is if there's lots of gratuitous panty shots and other general fanservice to keep the male demographic watching...for the plot, obviously. To be honest, I'd take that over another "Yu" hero, and I hate scenes that build up to "OH MY GOD! A PANTY SHOT!"

-Kotori, Kathy, Rio, and Anna are not exactly great, and downright unrealistic or annoying. Anna pushes herself in too hard and doesn't really have a reason to be there. Kathy is Hinata from Naruto made poorly. Kotori doesn't make sense. She's been friends with Yuma and Tetsuo for years, but doesn't even know how to duel. That would be fine in a more varied and normal relationship, but all those 2 ever do is Duel and barely anything else, so if she's not interested in learning, she should leave, and if she IS interested, she should join them and also be on pair with them at dueling from the start. She's neither, it's like society had told her she was meant to be a cheerleader. The times she's said Yuma's name with a worried expression now surpasses the times Yusei said "Mirai" and Aporia "Zetzubou". Rio is good at anything and everything she does and beats every club leader at school in their own thing without cheating. I'll leave aside how this is clearly Mary Sue and instead will focus on how despite her skills and how she has the looks and has actually a not a bad personality, all the boys after her started ignoring her and calling her things, losing interest after she's shown what she can do. Shouldn't it damn be the opposite? They were bested and couldn't stand a girl being that good. really? What's up with this series?

______

To be honest, I'm surprised the writers haven't completely sold out and made Kotori a full-fledged moe "pet" girlfriend for Yuma who gets pats on the head for being "cute" and gets talked to like a 4-year old. People apparently eat that crap up like potato chips.

GX aside, Yugioh has been pretty terrible with female leads. Tea is just there because she's a girl, and while the manga pushed her and Yugi towards having a real, mature relationship, Battle City onwards threw it out and simplified the characters, because after all the character development and drama in Duelist Kingdom, it's a great idea to push the characters into becoming simplified for easier writing (*cough* Kaiba.) Tea becomes a thing with boobs that sticks to Yugi, which is a terrible thing.

5D's had Akiza's entire character arc resolved within like 15 or so episodes after the face turn, so she spent the remaining 100+ episodes being useless, and a sex object for the sad...sad people who were too busy fapping to the latest "super interchangeable high school moe fanservice-y harem-chan!!!" anime to even care about Aki's cleavage. It's pretty clear that Akiza (and Crow and Jack, especially) was dumbed down to make Gary Stu Fudo look even more like a Gary Stu, though why any writer would push an overpowered character like that is beyond me. When Dragon Ball Z made it clear that Tien, Yamcha, and Chiaozu would remain forever obsolete post-Vegeta Saga, they at least had a believable reason with the Super Saiyan power creep (even if it did blow chunks.) There is no logical reason why Akiza, or any other member of 5D's was dumbed down to make the show about a team of six people (another act of bad writing was to make Crow a signer cuz it's "5D's") focus on one person with the other members acting as cheerleaders when he needs more anime friendship to win.

Kotori's only reason to exist is that Zexal needed a female lead. That's pretty much it. She just screams Yuma's name, and would probably make him sandwiches/ricecakes and feed him grapes if she was shoehorned into the show even more.

Alexis is arguably the best-written female lead in Yugioh. Unlike Tea and Kotori, her existence in the show isn't contingent on her relationship to the male protagonist, and unlike Akiza, her existence in the show isn't justified by some ancient ties or mystical powers tied to the same as the other main characters. The show could've easily been about her, and probably would've been even better with the more multidimensional Alexis in place of quirky-shonen-hero-later-turned-brooding-emo Jaden.

Cardfight Vanguard has even followed Alexis' example by making their female lead a similar character. In fact, Vanguard has two Alexis-like characters.

No offense, but that would suck if they did that. I love the way the cards are currently designed. If you don't, then why not buy Yu-Gi-Oh custom oricas? That way you can have them designed the way you want. Don't try and ask for something to be changed just because you want it changed. Think about everyone else. Personally, I've always found the other designs used in games such as Vanguard and Pokemon to be horrible. The style of Yu-Gi-Oh cards are so much more fun and consistent without trying to push colors everywhere onto a card. But meh, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so you'll like what you like and I'll like what I like.

_____

The problem is, Yugioh cards have no personality.

Comparing the Vanguard and Pokemon, Vanguard makes the art the focal point and the, with the frame taking 1/10 of the card, which gives each card more of a personality. Pokemon creates card personality with specific colors for each Pokemon type and unique layouts for the various card types, which is what every card game should do.

Yugioh has none of this. It's just yellow, orange, and blue for monsters. Okay? Vanguard uses black and yellow to distinguish their Units. But, Vanguard further makes their vanillas a little more distinct by allowing you to see more of the card's art because they have no effect text. Why can't vanillas in YGO have the frame widened dramatically to marvel at the art of, say, Kabazauls?

Then, there are Spells and Traps, which are designed with the exact same layout, but with different colors. Why? That's boring. Why can't Spell frames have more of a mystical look to them, or Traps have a mechanical look to them?

Oh, and the Extra Deck. In Duel Masters, their Extra Deck creatures have extravagant frames with lightning and whatnot, with the monster tearing through the frame restrictions, and the text on the card pic itself.

Yugioh? It's just purple, white, and black, with the exact same look and layout as the main deck monsters. Yawn.

What's worse is that the frames for all the cards look the same. Just a plain, cloudy frame with a different color. Xyzs went the right track by having a distinct and eye-catching space-like frame. Why can't the rest of the card types have their own distinct frames?

Then, there are cards like the God Cards, the Sacred Beasts, the Earthbound Immortals, and the Time Lords. Pushed as the most powerful cards in the anime, the God cards are rewarded with the majesty of having the same frame design as the rest of the monsters in the game. In Kaijudo, they've released mega-boss creatures with their own special frame so you can see more of the art. Why can't any of the God archetypes have this luxury when they're supposed to be the gods of the particular series' universe? Why can't cards like Sephylon and Shooting Quasar have this look?

Yugioh's card layout shouldn't just be overhauled for a new series, it should've been altered every generation. GX pushes aliens and cybernetics as regular card themes, yet the cards don't reflect this shift from magic. 5D's features dragon gods, a completely different mythology, and futuristic robots, yet the only design change is the logo. Zexal goes for more colorful and playful monsters, but the cards don't reflect this look and feel.

My point? Personality makes a card beautiful, and Yugioh's card design does not have the depth of "personality" other card games do.

I also think that they are going to do something like:

In Yu-Gi-Oh: Champions, we have the story of our multicolored hair protagonist, who's goofy and friendly, looking to become the next ruler of Duel Monsters, and has Yu in their name. Goofy, idiotic best friend, or with a little of an opposite personality than the main character, with the great dueling skills.She/he, (yeah, I'm all about equal rights), will meet new friends and enemies, then save the world from an ancient spirit-like being. She/he will meet him/her 2 rivals, 1 who is a jerk, and another, who is; calm, collected, cold, calculating, doesn't talk much, cares deeply for their younger, wears a badass coat, has a 3000 ATK dragon that rivals the protagonist 2500 Atker, and has a greater # of female fans than the main character. They'll have their 2 or more pseudo-love interest, that people will want to hook up with one of them, but will never happen because the creators will want to tease us. 

I would like it if they do it like:

Yu: has a deck to summon any extra deck monsters that also can summon other extra deck monsters in wide variety of ranges.

The rest of the characters has a deck to summon either 1 or 2 types of extra deck mons.

Example: 1 of Yu's rival has a deck to summon Rituals easier while the other has a deck to summon Synchros.

If they would do a female protagonist, it might end up like Legend of Korra, where romance spews of the screen. The first did have romance just not like Korra did, where it's more pronounced, and seems to satisfy and give the female fanbase what they want, romance!

I also remember a person on a forum saying something like this: 
Yugioh: Teenage main character turns to an adult ancient spirit with amnesia.
GX: Teenage hero with powers from the darkness.
5Ds: Adult protagonist with a dragon and warrior fetish.
ZeXal: Adolescent dueling with an extra-dimensional spirit that has amnesia. 
Adolescent being close to the target audience.

Stuff we usually find in the animes; I think I missed 1 thing.

What about Armor monsters? They seem like an interesting concept. 
I just hope that they instead use a new spell/trap card mechanic instead of monster. I'd like it if they revisit fusing monsters with traps/spells or they might make a monster that requires a specific one, like Yasushi. They could also look back on a card like Critias to do it.

I really with they could go back and give a little more there. I think they should also make some evolutions of Fusions and Rituals, like they did Xyzs and Synchros.

______

[spoiler=I'm putting the post in spoiler because it's really long]

Likely because card game playerbases tend to be male. When was the last time anyone heard of a woman winning a Yugioh Worlds, or a Magic tournament? It's (almost, in case there is some tournament I never heard of) always a guy winning.

In a way, card game-based shows are sort of cursed to, in a way, not really care for it's female audience. Sure, they might be buying cards, but the company doesn't acknowledge their existence because it's the boys they go for because it's mostly boys who buy cards.

Other product-pushing shows like Power Rangers have this problem too. In 20 years for the US series, and 37 for the source material, there has never been a full-time female leader. There was the female Red in SPD, but she was leading a non-primary team, and the other female Red in Samurai/Shinkenger, but she only led the team for 4 of the 40/50 episodes. There was Time Force, where it's implied the Pink Ranger is in charge, but the show repeatedly pushes Red as the leader, and Wild Force, where Yellow (supposedly) runs the team in the first episode because her experience and seniority, but is promptly bumped down because newcomer Red joined the team, and the lion is the king of all animals, and yada yada. The female members in the US seasons tend to get stuck with the standard equipment rolled over from the source material, while the guys get addtitional US-only personal weapons and vehicles later on (this was joked about once in the show.) Why? Because Power Rangers is aimed at boys. Therefore, the boys will care more about red, green/black, and blue over pink and yellow.

This isn't an excuse to justify the general uselessness of women in Yugioh. This is more of a why Yugioh is against having a strong female protagonist for a series.

Sadly, the only way I can see a female protagonist happening in Yugioh is if there's lots of gratuitous panty shots and other general fanservice to keep the male demographic watching...for the plot, obviously. To be honest, I'd take that over another "Yu" hero, and I hate scenes that build up to "OH MY GOD! A PANTY SHOT!"

______

To be honest, I'm surprised the writers haven't completely sold out and made Kotori a full-fledged moe "pet" girlfriend for Yuma who gets pats on the head for being "cute" and gets talked to like a 4-year old. People apparently eat that crap up like potato chips.

GX aside, Yugioh has been pretty terrible with female leads. Tea is just there because she's a girl, and while the manga pushed her and Yugi towards having a real, mature relationship, Battle City onwards threw it out and simplified the characters, because after all the character development and drama in Duelist Kingdom, it's a great idea to push the characters into becoming simplified for easier writing (*cough* Kaiba.) Tea becomes a thing with boobs that sticks to Yugi, which is a terrible thing.

5D's had Akiza's entire character arc resolved within like 15 or so episodes after the face turn, so she spent the remaining 100+ episodes being useless, and a sex object for the sad...sad people who were too busy fapping to the latest "super interchangeable high school moe fanservice-y harem-chan!!!" anime to even care about Aki's cleavage. It's pretty clear that Akiza (and Crow and Jack, especially) was dumbed down to make Gary Stu Fudo look even more like a Gary Stu, though why any writer would push an overpowered character like that is beyond me. When Dragon Ball Z made it clear that Tien, Yamcha, and Chiaozu would remain forever obsolete post-Vegeta Saga, they at least had a believable reason with the Super Saiyan power creep (even if it did blow chunks.) There is no logical reason why Akiza, or any other member of 5D's was dumbed down to make the show about a team of six people (another act of bad writing was to make Crow a signer cuz it's "5D's") focus on one person with the other members acting as cheerleaders when he needs more anime friendship to win.

Kotori's only reason to exist is that Zexal needed a female lead. That's pretty much it. She just screams Yuma's name, and would probably make him sandwiches/ricecakes and feed him grapes if she was shoehorned into the show even more.

Alexis is arguably the best-written female lead in Yugioh. Unlike Tea and Kotori, her existence in the show isn't contingent on her relationship to the male protagonist, and unlike Akiza, her existence in the show isn't justified by some ancient ties or mystical powers tied to the same as the other main characters. The show could've easily been about her, and probably would've been even better with the more multidimensional Alexis in place of quirky-shonen-hero-later-turned-brooding-emo Jaden.

Cardfight Vanguard has even followed Alexis' example by making their female lead a similar character. In fact, Vanguard has two Alexis-like characters.

_____

The problem is, Yugioh cards have no personality.

Comparing the Vanguard and Pokemon, Vanguard makes the art the focal point and the, with the frame taking 1/10 of the card, which gives each card more of a personality. Pokemon creates card personality with specific colors for each Pokemon type and unique layouts for the various card types, which is what every card game should do.

Yugioh has none of this. It's just yellow, orange, and blue for monsters. Okay? Vanguard uses black and yellow to distinguish their Units. But, Vanguard further makes their vanillas a little more distinct by allowing you to see more of the card's art because they have no effect text. Why can't vanillas in YGO have the frame widened dramatically to marvel at the art of, say, Kabazauls?

Then, there are Spells and Traps, which are designed with the exact same layout, but with different colors. Why? That's boring. Why can't Spell frames have more of a mystical look to them, or Traps have a mechanical look to them?

Oh, and the Extra Deck. In Duel Masters, their Extra Deck creatures have extravagant frames with lightning and whatnot, with the monster tearing through the frame restrictions, and the text on the card pic itself.

Yugioh? It's just purple, white, and black, with the exact same look and layout as the main deck monsters. Yawn.

What's worse is that the frames for all the cards look the same. Just a plain, cloudy frame with a different color. Xyzs went the right track by having a distinct and eye-catching space-like frame. Why can't the rest of the card types have their own distinct frames?

Then, there are cards like the God Cards, the Sacred Beasts, the Earthbound Immortals, and the Time Lords. Pushed as the most powerful cards in the anime, the God cards are rewarded with the majesty of having the same frame design as the rest of the monsters in the game. In Kaijudo, they've released mega-boss creatures with their own special frame so you can see more of the art. Why can't any of the God archetypes have this luxury when they're supposed to be the gods of the particular series' universe? Why can't cards like Sephylon and Shooting Quasar have this look?

Yugioh's card layout shouldn't just be overhauled for a new series, it should've been altered every generation. GX pushes aliens and cybernetics as regular card themes, yet the cards don't reflect this shift from magic. 5D's features dragon gods, a completely different mythology, and futuristic robots, yet the only design change is the logo. Zexal goes for more colorful and playful monsters, but the cards don't reflect this look and feel.

My point? Personality makes a card beautiful, and Yugioh's card design does not have the depth of "personality" other card games do.

[/spoiler]

I'll start by saying that I personally don't complain about the luck of the cards as much. I mean, when I see them together, they look organized by having the same layout (to a degree, because they'd look better if I could get a deck to have a single rarity), and Vanguard and MTG contrasts in layouts sometimes give me this chaotic and messy feel when I have them in my hand.

Though, at the same time, I know what you are saying, and it's a valid claim. I'd go out and say that cards should be made in several ways each for the most part, so that people that like the ordery feel can have it, and the ones that want more explosive layouts as well. It'd even serve as an experiment to see if the change was worth it. It wouldn't hurt anyone since it'd be both ways.

At the end of the day, Konami is willing to invest money and effort into the game, but the least amount possible. At least it is pretty evident to me that it is the case.

-Some of their card choices make me doubt the quality of the staff in charge of designing, and the existence of play-testing altogether.

-The anime's pace is awkward sometimes, meaning the script doesn't have a lot of preparation behind it.

-They'd rather release an episode where characters have awkward animation and eyes drawn by 3 year olds, than delay the episodes a week.

-The fact they even attempted releasing cards like Spellbook of Judgement, Dragon Rulers, etc (and more than attempted, went on with the idea) to see how much mediocrity would the fanbase be willing to take and measure how much lack of effort they are allowed to have.

-How cards like Summoned Skull had a clear need for an errata for the last 10 or so years, and were reprinted around 15 times over the course without fixing it. Secret Barrel finally says "Opponent's card effects", and I thought people were BSing me all this time.

-How some of their rulings and grammar, beyond being excusable old OCG, were downright atrocious to beginners and sometimes even people with experience in the game.

-How they don't bother much with art fanservice, but quite the opposite. Blue-Eyes has 6 alternate arts, yet the stone one keeps popping up in an overused way, and the newest one to commemorate the creation of the Structured Deck, was made into a JUMP promo most people can't get their hands on. Dark Magician's Starter Deck art was last reprinted in a super hard to find videogame promo that's almost as old, and it's actually it's only reprint. I still think that Dark Magician Girl's sensorships are stupid. Finally, they are probably the only TCG I've bumped into that doesn't give credit to the artist (others that don't usually just use screenshots from some anime, and that's lazy).

Here's an idea. Instead of having uber powerful cards be expensive rares, how about making all cards in the pack more or less equally accessible and have the rares be alternate arts of them instead?... 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be honest, I'm probably calling it quits with YGO after Zexal's story ends. I'll finish it to get closure, but then it's time to get off unless the next anime's mindblowingly amazing or whatever.

The series has kind of become a caricature of itself and unlike the other shows, I kinda just turn my brain off for the duels. They aren't that interesting anymore and the characters don't make for compelling drama outside of dueling. And it's overly clogged with cheerleaders; one thing I liked about Zexal II is that it stopped having Yuma's friends tag along with them all the time and focused on the people that mattered (and Kotori).

I'd want to see a show with more realism too instead of shows obsessed with ancient civilizations and whatnot. I feel like that's something that should've stayed within the original show and that only.

I'll be honest, I'm probably calling it quits with YGO after Zexal's story ends. I'll finish it to get closure, but then it's time to get off unless the next anime's mindblowingly amazing or whatever.

The series has kind of become a caricature of itself and unlike the other shows, I kinda just turn my brain off for the duels. They aren't that interesting anymore and the characters don't make for compelling drama outside of dueling. And it's overly clogged with cheerleaders; one thing I liked about Zexal II is that it stopped having Yuma's friends tag along with them all the time and focused on the people that mattered (and Kotori).

I'd want to see a show with more realism too instead of shows obsessed with ancient civilizations and whatnot. I feel like that's something that should've stayed within the original show and that only.

_____

To add to the realism bit, I had an epiphany earlier today.

The Yugioh anime (especially the anime) and manga are actually detrimental to the playerbase it sells to.

How often are viewers taught that every card has worth, no matter how trash it is, with the character winning with said trash card in a situation set up to make the card look godly?

Or, that relying on luck ("I believe in my deck") is better than being a good player?

Or, that wasting 7 cards to destroy 1 is okay?

Giving main characters terrible cards and having them pull victories with them 99% of the time, the anime is partially to blame for educating players into this mindset that playing bad cards is okay, and that playing good cards is evil. If it wasn't obvious enough from Yugioh's insistent on being overly preachy about the "Heart of the Cards", 5D's even had that stupid 3 year-long arc about people wanting to run good cards causing Judgment Day.

Parents say "too much TV rots your brain." I say the Yugioh anime rots card gamers brains.

Or, that relying on luck ("I believe in my deck") is better than being a good player?

Yeah, I used to love this thinking. Played Morphtronics in a tournament after they had been out for at least a year. Had no staples.

Needless to say, I kind of tossed most of that notion out the window.

Giving main characters terrible cards and having them pull victories with them 99% of the time, the anime is partially to blame for educating players into this mindset that playing bad cards is okay, and that playing good cards is evil.

Good cards? Lol, Fortune Ladies. Lol, Earthbound Immortals. Lol, Meklords. Lol, etc. Archfiends? Gate Guardian?

If it wasn't obvious enough from Yugioh's insistent on being overly preachy about the "Heart of the Cards", 5D's even had that stupid 3 year-long arc about people wanting to run good cards causing Judgment Day.

Heart of the cards is what I say when I am playing a lucksack deck that is going to lose next turn.

And don't go there on 5Ds. I think it was the one series they pulled off well (as in the best. the others weren't terrible).

The original taught people to play random decks and banned cards.

GX taught people that Konami could make one archetype run for far too long and not even use it properly in the anime. 

I do like seeing the hero win with a new card though. It always seemed awesome to see a new ace hit the field. Even if it had to be created mid duel. xD

Oh yeah, to add to Machismo's detrimental point, Zexal is also making it okay to blatantly cheat. 

Both Yuma and his enemies create cards out of thin air to turn the entire situation on its head.

If that was their way of circumventing 5Ds' issue with having absurdly specific effects, this wasn't the way to do it.

Shining Draw, I don't even.

Archived