Hammerball Archetype

Toffee.

And potentially silly ones at that. But what else is new.

UwmktJS.jpg

If this card declares an attack against an Opponent's monster, it gains 1200 ATK during the Damage Step only. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can send 1 card from your Hand to the Graveyard and Target 1 Attack Position monster your Opponent controls: Switch it to Defense Position. This card must be in Attack Position to activate and resolve this effect. If this card is destroyed by battle, add to your Hand 1 Level 4 or lower DARK Machine-Type monster with 1000 ATK or less from your Deck.

c53uGOZ.jpg

If this card declares an attack against an Opponent's monster, it gains 1200 ATK during the Damage Step only. If you control a Face-up "Hammerball" monster, you can send 1 card from your Hand to the Graveyard: Special Summon this card(from your Hand). You can only Special Summon "Hammerball Berserker" this way once per turn. If this card destroys an Opponent's monster by battle, Draw 1 card at the end of that Battle Phase.

pt1yKLV.jpg

This card can attack your Opponent directly. If this card declares an attack against a Defense Position monster, it's ATK becomes 2100 during the Damage Step only. When this card is Normal Summoned, you can activate this effect: During the End Phase of this turn, Draw 1 card. If this Face-up Attack Position card is destroyed by your Opponent's card(either by battle or card effect): Special Summon 1 Level 4 "Hammerball" monster from your Deck.

tG5zQCY.jpg

If this card is sent to the Graveyard to activate the effect of a "Hammerball" monster: Draw 1 card. This effect of "Hammerball Sentry" can only be activated once per turn. If this card is flipped Face-up during the Battle Phase, you can Target 1 Level 4 or lower DARK Machine-Type monster with 1000 ATK or less in your Graveyard: Add it to your Hand. As long as this card remains Face-up on the field, your Opponent cannot Target "Hammerball" monsters, except "Hammerball Sentry" as the Target of card effects.

L7PWjmd.jpg

Once per turn, if you control another "Hammerball" monster, except "Spiked Hammerball Knightshell": You can switch the original ATK and DEF of this card. During the End Phase of a turn in which this card destroyed an Opponent's monster by battle, you can Tribute this card: Add to your Hand up to 2 "Hammerball" monsters from your Deck with different names, except "Spiked Hammerball Knightshell".

6FTCp8t.jpg

1 Level 4 "Hammerball" monster + 1 Machine-Type monster.
You can also Special Summon this card(from your Extra Deck) by Banishing the above cards you control. If this card declares an attack, it gains 2200 ATK during the Damage Step only. This card inflicts piercing damage. During either player's turn, you can send 1 card from your Hand to the Graveyard: Switch this card's Battle Position. If this card is removed from the field by your Opponent's card(either by battle or effect), you can Target 1 other DARK Machine-Type monster with 1000 ATK or less in your Graveyard: Return the Target to your Deck OR add it to your Hand.

Yte4U4h.jpg

1 Level 2 "Hammerball" monster + 1 DARK monster.
You can also Special Summon this card(from your Extra Deck) by Banishing the above cards you control. If this card is Special Summoned from the Extra Deck, Draw 1 card. This effect of "Megaton Hammerball" can only be activated once per turn. Once per turn you can Target 1 Defense Position monster on the field: Destroy it. If this card is removed from the field by your Opponent's card(either by battle or card effect): Switch all monsters your Opponent currently controls to Face-up Defense Position, and their Battle Positions cannot be changed, except with a card effect.

nMVx3p8.jpg

Equip only to a "Hammerball" monster. It gains 500 ATK. During your Main Phase 1, you can Send This card and 1 card from your Hand to the Graveyard: Add to your Hand 1 Level 4 or lower DARK Machine-Type monster with 1000 ATK or less from your Deck. During the End Phase of a turn in which the equipped monster destroyed an Opponent's monster as a result of battle, you can send this card to the Graveyard: Draw 2 cards. You can only control 1 "Hammerball Outrage".

TsPKn1x.jpg

Activate 1 of these effects:
1) Discard 1 "Hammerball" monster: Add to your Hand 1 Level 4 or lower DARK Machine-Type monster with 1000 ATK or less.
2) Activate if you control a Face-up "Hammerball" monster: Add to your Hand 1 "Hammerball" monster from your Deck.
3) Pay 1000 Life Points and target 1 Level 4 or lower "Hammerball" monster in your Graveyard: Special Summon it.
You can only activate 1 "Hammerball Mechanics" per turn.

I don't know if you care about OCG fixes, but will point them out anyways:

Enforcer:

If this card is destroyed as a result of battle --> If this card is destroyed by battle

add to your Hand 1 Level 4 or lower DARK Machine-Type monster with 1000 ATK or less from your Deck --> add 1 Level 4 or lower DARK Machine-Type monster with 1000 or less ATK from your Deck to your hand.

Berserker:

If this card destroys an Opponent's monster as a result of battle --> If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle ("opponent" shouldn't be capitalized).

Wristpocket:

A typo on "opponent" on the first effect.

Question on the ruling on this effect:

"When this card is Normal Summoned, you can activate this effect: During the End Phase of this turn, draw 1 card."

Does Wristpocket must stay on the field at the End Phase for this effect to resolve succesfully?

Knightshell:

During the End Phase of a turn in which this card destroyed an Opponent's monster as a result of battle --> During the End Phase of a turn in which this card destroyed an opponent's monster by battle

"Once per turn, if you control another "Hammerball" monster, except "Spiked Hammerball Knightshell": You can switch the original ATK and DEF of this card."

Is the ATK/DEF change meant to be permanent?

Overall, I think the archetype is good. Nothing like Dragon Rulers or Phophecies of course, but with Machine support one should be able to build a decent deck with them.

The only thing I'm disliking is the "search 3 Hammerballs" effect from Knightshield for a +2, but given that Hammerballs don't make card advantage quickly (or, as you would say, have to jump through hoops to do so), I guess it should be fine.

I don't know if it was intentional, but this archetype has a good synergy with "Black Salvo": While Salvo works well with any Level 4 DARK Machine, in this archetype it furthers benefits from being a search target for both Enforcer and Juggernaut. And by reviving a "Hammerball" with Salvo, you gain the option of Fusion Summoning them for Juggernaut rather than going for a Synchro 7. In my opinion this is great and don't think it would become a problem.

Question on the ruling on this effect:
"When this card is Normal Summoned, you can activate this effect: During the End Phase of this turn, draw 1 card."
Does Wristpocket must stay on the field at the End Phase for this effect to resolve succesfully?

Wristrocket's effect activates when you Normal it, then lingers until the End Phase when it does stuff. It's different from, oh, say, Genex Neutron, and/or Bujin Yamato, who specifically have to remain on the field.

"Once per turn, if you control another "Hammerball" monster, except "Spiked Hammerball Knightshell": You can switch the original ATK and DEF of this card."
Is the ATK/DEF change meant to be permanent?

Yes, that one was meant to be permanent. Because it can act as a wall, then go on the offense later on.

Overall, I think the archetype is good. Nothing like Dragon Rulers or Phophecies of course, but with Machine support one should be able to build a decent deck with them.
The only thing I'm disliking is the "search 3 Hammerballs" effect from Knightshield for a +2, but given that Hammerballs don't make card advantage quickly (or, as you would say, have to jump through hoops to do so), I guess it should be fine.

Knight is slow as hell and equally as gimmick anyway.

I don't know if it was intentional, but this archetype has a good synergy with "Black Salvo": While Salvo works well with any Level 4 DARK Machine, in this archetype it furthers benefits from being a search target for both Enforcer and Juggernaut. And by reviving a "Hammerball" with Salvo, you gain the option of Fusion Summoning them for Juggernaut rather than going for a Synchro 7. In my opinion this is great and don't think it would become a problem.

That was on purpose, yes. I figured it would be cool if a Tuner could also go into a Fusion monster.
Juggernaut can be played through Poly, Power Bond, Overload, etc.
Judggernaut can also be played through it's own effect, on the off chance you don't want to Fusion Summon it. Provided, you don't mind having the Materials be Banished, which kinda' sorta' hinders it's own effect.
Juggernaut also has Limit Reverse, in addition to Call of the Haunted, and also dodges stuff like Bottomless.

Basically I just wanted a boss that could be played through many ways, without being overkill.

Archived