54267.jpg

The story begins when 30,000 Japanese gamers are trapped in the fantasy online game world Elder Tale. What was once a sword-and-sorcery world is now the real world. The main lead Shiroe attempts to survive with his old friend Naotsugu and the beautiful assassin Akatsuki.

So yeah, first episode was pretty immersive, but like SAO, I'll never know what'll happen until it ends up happening.

I needs myself an awesome Akatsuki gif now.

People compare this to SAO everywhere, but I see a main difference. This is more focused on realistic actions and ideas, while SAO was straight up shonen. If anything, this is far closer to .hack than SAO imo.

Still, like most of the characters (not the "guy friend"). Will be watching the whole series though, since I'm a sucker for the premise.

Yeah, I only mentioned SAO because I'm wary of the premise, though I must still be a sucker for it if I tried this already. Would have rather seen some final impressions first, what with how SAO is now and the fact that this came from Maoyuu's author, but why not.

I will not actively, purposefully compare this to SAO, (or even .hack since I never seen it and will likely never get the chance to) from here on out, because there are a lot more differences than just that main one, some having already been mentioned. Cause well, I just don't want the one place I'll be talking about this to degrade into an SAO ripoff thread, due to those many differences and that this seems more of a coincidence than anything.

Looks like this is more concerned with the mechanics.

Also there's an actual party, as opposed to a lone wolf.

Not as exciting of a first episode but time will tell.

It really doesn't seem to delve that much more deeply into the mechanics than SAO did (probably a little less) and the end of the first episode seems to abandon most of them anyway so I'm going to wholeheartedly disagree with you (and EZ as well) on that part. The game does come across as a far more typical MMO though and although I don't really consider that a good thing with that and the main character being a strategist it might end up taking more inspiration from actual MMOs but after just the first episode I simply can't agree.

I found the first episode simply sort of meh and I have yet to actually care for anybody so I don't think this is an anime I'll be following for too long unless it somehow manages to hook me or EZ gushes later on because of how good it suddenly became.

I saw the first episode and I have NO IDEA WHAT JUST HAPPENED.

No setup or backstory, just throwing us into it.  It seems like there are some legitimately interesting characters, but the show doesn't really care and insists on this randomness that has no meaning.

I guess they explained it at the end, but even then not really.  It seems like there's a show much better than SAO lurking beneath this film of I don't even know. 

I saw the first episode and I have NO IDEA WHAT JUST HAPPENED.

No setup or backstory, just throwing us into it. It seems like there are some legitimately interesting characters, but the show doesn't really care and insists on this randomness that has no meaning.

I guess they explained it at the end, but even then not really. It seems like there's a show much better than SAO lurking beneath this film of I don't even know.

I enjoyed the randomness that has no meaning well enough. There were quite a few funny instances because they decided to do some of that. I also feel like they could easily handle the backstory at a later time, but for now I just hope that's what they plan on doing.

Even so, there is this: There was a game than was out for a pretty long time already, the main group are adults who have already maxed out their levels, but they came back because of a new expansion pack. Said expansion pack probably came with the inability to log out, or at least that is obviously related. Oh wait that's not the backstory, or at least I hope it isn't >.>.

I guess they were aiming for some sort of bad mystery, since it's not giving any sort of reason or person responsible right off the bat, which can count as not such a good thing, yep.

finished reading the first two volumes of the novel.... wow, this is a lot more POLITICAL than it is action. Completely unlike SAO. A heck of a lot more smarts than brawl.

I'm now even more curious how anime adaptation will be. I can see they already changed a lot of things to tone down, but it's kinda affecting audience view. In the novels, fights and kill literally involves blood and guts, monsters don't just turn into coins and items like they did in the anime episode... it leaves a carcass. If you want hides, you have to skin them. That gives a totally different atmosphere on the world than what the anime went with..

It's not overly philosophical, a lot less pretentious than .hack, but way smarter than SAO. Without getting into spoilers, there's a heavy focus on politics, economy, exploration of the world physics, and social rebuilding. Far less importance on combat.

The three titles are pretty clearly distinct from each other. And to be honest, this FAR more my cup of tea.

So if the quoted poster(Quoted from a quote posted on tvtropes forum topic of the same series, take it with a grain of salt if you want) is correct, this will be very different from SAO. Again, I loved Maoyuu(Same author as this, by the way). Definitely going to be interestin'.

I already know it's going to be very different, but if the anime is going to be like that though, potentially too boring for me. Not especially because it's going to be like that, but because I already mentioned not liking the fact that Maoyuu's author done this. Some of those things do sound very interesting to get to exploring, as an MMO thing, though.

First episode was kind of meh. I don't care much about the characters. There's the smart guy with glasses who we know is smart because he wears glasses, a perverted comic relief who's sole mission is to remind viewers he's the comic relief, and a generic moe hot off the assembly line. Lame.

It's nice that they didn't bog down the episode with lots of backstory and jumped straight into action, though. I hate when first episodes are mainly "THIS IS LOTS OF BACKSTORY AND STUFF ABOUT THE WORLD! NOW YOU KNOW, AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE! TUNE IN NEXT WEEK FOR THE PROMISE THAT SOMETHING MIGHT HAPPEN!!!"

I didn't agree completely about the mechanics thing right away, but all it needs now is probably a tiny bit more of a push, and I definitely would agree it delves deeper into that than SAO.

New episode was great. Awesome that they had actual strategy.
[spoiler='Though']Isn't it rather OPed that he was just able to make the healer fall asleep like that?[/spoiler]

Not really. I dunno, it seems somewhat easy in Pokemon. Although that's not the same kind of game so idk.

Archived