Pokemon: The Origins

Iris is fine, better in the games though, somewhat annoying. Cilan is sometimes funny, and I really like him. He's a good replacement imo, but if his brothers have proper eyes, why doesn't he?

They seem like generally likable/at least decent characters for what it's supposed to be anyway, a kid's anime. I feel that at least personally, if I was still a kid, I would have loved them.

Fairly easy to go completely off topic in a Pokemon thread... We might still have this going by October.

I have no problem with Iris in game, but I feel like they are taking forever with her in the anime. I mean she is supposed to be a dragon master, but for the longest time she only had Axew and then suddenly we jumped to Dragonite. I think they need a sense of pacing. 

Cilan is a little over the top for me. His constant need to comment on everything with his ridiculous metaphors really bother me. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The anime to me always felt too repetitive and 9 times out 10 you could predict what would happen, the standard: Meet New People & Pokemon, Battle Jessie and James sums up the majority of the episodes.

I felt the manga and games by having enemy bases felt more like a story progression. Black in the manga does the whole Pokemon master thing far more efficiently than Ash. (He seems to display more strategy (like his observation of Patrat against Lenora) and part of me wouldn't be surprised if Ruby does a better job of Pokemon Contests than May...when he finally gets to start one.) The manga also seems more unpredictable like Skyla randomly kidnapping Black for a gym battle before accepting he can join the gym leaders for their fight, and Giovanni appearing before Lance when Yellow seems down on her luck against him.

So if this ever became a series I'd like to see a proper a progression towards an end, not a never ending story.

I have no problem with Iris in game, but I feel like they are taking forever with her in the anime. I mean she is supposed to be a dragon master, but for the longest time she only had Axew and then suddenly we jumped to Dragonite. I think they need a sense of pacing. 

Cilan is a little over the top for me. His constant need to comment on everything with his ridiculous metaphors really bother me. 

Reasonable. Well, I guess most reasons people would dislike things wouldn't be unreasonable. I don't always like over the top things/characters either, Gurren Lagan being a good example.

The anime to me always felt too repetitive and 9 times out 10 you could predict what would happen, the standard: Meet New People & Pokemon, Battle Jessie and James sums up the majority of the episodes.

I felt the manga and games by having enemy bases felt more like a story progression. Black in the manga does the whole Pokemon master thing far more efficiently than Ash. (He seems to display more strategy (like his observation of Patrat against Lenora) and part of me wouldn't be surprised if Ruby does a better job of Pokemon Contests than May...when he finally gets to start one.) The manga also seems more unpredictable like Skyla randomly kidnapping Black for a gym battle before accepting he can join the gym leaders for their fight, and Giovanni appearing before Lance when Yellow seems down on her luck against him.

So if this ever became a series I'd like to see a proper a progression towards an end, not a never ending story.

The anime touches upon all of the games, though never really being that great an adaption, the games are almost just as repetitive. Would be very interesting to not have a villian team show up and still make it good, or at least not have you storm the base like you always do. It doesn't seem like you would always need to do that, and I'm sure they can make it work without it, imo. Dunno what the point here even is... I pretty much agree with this.

I do wonder how Pokemon could cope without villains though, otherwise it seems difficult to have a deeper plot than the standard Pokemon Master/Pokemon Contest Master which is pushed into the background by what the villains are upto. Although I do like the concept of White setting up the Pokemon Theater and her Acting Agency, and Platinum Berlitz's trek to Mount Coronet (More on the whole Viridian Forest and 'powers' with Lance and Yellow would have been interesting), I don't know if they could have stood up by themselves (I've yet to read the Emerald Manga or the Platinium Battle Zone chapters of the manga to see how they stood) without the extra. (Although you can say the Leaf Green/Fire Manga sort of made it work because at the base of it, it's about a Father's search for the son that was kidnapped by the Masked Man (Pryce) all those years ago and it's more about Deoxys than Team Rocket).

Actually, I don't think a no villains game would work just yet, and as for the base thing, I think XY would be impossible without it, and it would probably be very cool. Maybe next gen? lol. They have innovated, but not something as drastic as the villain team not being that important game-wise. Like you said, doesn't really seem like they could actually have that deep a plot if they decide to.

• 1 month later...

Eh, I don't see what the big deal is, it wasn't insanely long since the last post, comparatively, and I mean, LZ necro'd my thread before, so I don't think it'll be all that bad to necro his.

First episode I found not much different than the current anime, probably more so how it's earlier stuff has been. For one thing, I was not surprised at Ash Red's personality or voice, and find them both to be pretty fitting. The strategy used actually brings to mind some of the much later episodes, like Ash being pretty freaking smart against Clay, but that it very obviously just me. I like this a little less because you know me, I prefer the one that is more on the comedic side of things, but it was no doubt epic, just not as great as Roxie. I even have so much nostalgia though, even though Gen I is far from my games, probably my least favorite generation. It's still great.

Looking back at that front page... please don't tell me that Red owns a Mega Pokemon. Nothing against them, really like the idea, but I'll have to take off points for not being as accurate to the games it's supposed to be adapting. Oh wait, the current anime isn't incredibly accurate as well. Hmmm, will have to see what I think when I actually see it.

Looking back at that front page... please don't tell me that Red owns a Mega Pokemon. Nothing against them, really like the idea, but I'll have to take off points for not being as accurate to the games it's supposed to be adapting. Oh wait, the current anime isn't incredibly accurate as well. Hmmm, will have to see what I think when I actually see it.

I was surprised as well when I saw Red using a Mega Stone on his Charizard in the battle against Mewtwo, but I think they wanted to promote it rather than just show it afterwards. (Which they did anyway)

I was surprised as well when I saw Red using a Mega Stone on his Charizard in the battle against Mewtwo, but I think they wanted to promote it rather than just show it afterwards. (Which they did anyway)

Yeah. Pretty weird. I haven't watched that part yet, but I do have a slight feeling it'll pull together better than I had at first thought. If only slightly, but what do I know, I'm only watching it when it's subbed.

Yeah. Pretty weird. I haven't watched that part yet, but I do have a slight feeling it'll pull together better than I had at first thought. If only slightly, but what do I know, I'm only watching it when it's subbed.

The first I saw of it was a gif in the XY thread, I haven't watched that far yet either.

Wow Pallet Town got really built up. Based on the game with some minor changes it seems. Green is too nice at the beginning anyway. Still going to call this version of Red, Red V3, because he seems a little more stupid that Red 1 (Game) and Red 2 (Manga). Bite was brutal.

Wow Pallet Town got really built up. Based on the game with some minor changes it seems. Green is too nice at the beginning anyway. Still going to call this version of Red, Red V3, because he seems a little more stupid that Red 1 (Game) and Red 2 (Manga). Bite was brutal.

But game Red technically can be a lot more stupid than this. He is just your player character for about half the games he's in. Doesn't even strike me as all that stupid, just a beginner and has been getting decently smart from just the first gym. Apparently the second episode was subbed a bit ago though so I probably won't be checking this until a few hours.

I like the first two episodes a lot. I feel like the battles match the game a lot more closely and...I don't want to say realistically, but the scene with Squirtle biting Charmander caught my attention to say the least.

The Cubone story had a lot more feels for me this time around too.

Interesting how Red had a Jolteon.

Kinda wish he had Espeon, but whatever.

I like the first two episodes a lot. I feel like the battles match the game a lot more closely and...I don't want to say realistically, but the scene with Squirtle biting Charmander caught my attention to say the least.
The Cubone story had a lot more feels for me this time around too.

Interesting how Red had a Jolteon.
Kinda wish he had Espeon, but whatever.

They are probably only using Mega Evolutions to promote them. I seriously do not think they would use a Gen II+ Pokemon. At least there was a Red(s) that used an Espeon.

Archived