Pokemon: The Origins

Well, I do like it, I just think the worst thing about it is having the same protag for so long.

... I guess that only proves that I'm one of those people. I just can't wait.

Yeah, having the same protag for so long who is still popular amongst some fans can prove to be boring and redundant after a while.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will probably create 3rd version of Red.

Red - Gameverse

Red - Mangaverse (different in attitude and more vocal than the original Red)

Red - Animeverse. (Vocal, with a different starter to the previous Red who had Bulbasaur. Maybe a cross)

(I don't count Ash a version of Red, but lets face it...he isn't)

Blue/Green will probably be the same/very similar to his Gameverse version.

The animation style reminds me of Professor Layton for some reason. It's clear from the footage that Red will speak, but we don't know how or how he sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lyi2RSVxqg&feature=player_embedded

I thought it was cool before when I just knew about Red being in it...

But that animation and how awesome it looks...I'M TOTALLY SOLD NOW!!! =3

Totally excited about this! Eager to watch anything that doesn't have Ash in it. The animation looks pretty cool, not quite as colorful/bright as the main series, which I like. Hopefully it doesn't try to focus on friendship and crap-like that, because I am getting sick and tired of that. 

Totally excited about this!

1. Eager to watch anything that doesn't have Ash in it.

2. The animation looks pretty cool, not quite as colorful/bright as the main series, which I like.

3. Hopefully it doesn't try to focus on friendship and crap-like that, because I am getting sick and tired of that. 

1. Who isn't? I mean the guy is still 10 years old...and has amnesia everytime he gets into a new region xD

2. Yeah. Its very Prof. Layton-esque...which is pretty awesome to me. Something that the Pokemon franchise has never attempted before

3. Doesn't look like it to me. But then again, the trailer only shows clips...but at least from what it looks like, the Pokemon League is actually just that XD

1. Who isn't? I mean the guy is still 10 years old...and has amnesia everytime he gets into a new region xD

You know I saw an interesting theory about why he is still ten. It is said that Ho-Oh bestows a wish upon those that see it so that they are forever happy. As we all remember, Ash saw Ho-Oh in his first day of being a Pokemon Trainer. What if to be truly happy, Ash must remain 10 years old and a Pokemon Trainer?

I like the Ho-oh theory more just because if he was a zombie, I'd think he'd look at least somewhat different right away. Not that the zombie think isn't a nice theory, that's just what I think.

Well I would say the Ho-Oh theory has more merit, but the zombie theory is just more...fun...

Plus maybe zombie isn't the right word for it. Perhaps he came back as something less than...or rather more than...human. 

Also, I don't get why everyone hates Ash. He isn't an amazing lead, but from what I know of the anime he has gotten a bit better. Hell, promo pics for X/Y have Ash alone. That would be something.

See, I may be tired of the same guy, but I still like the character. Not knowing what Attract done when he was catching Snivy really irritated me, but I do like how he has at least somewhat improved. I think the fact that it's still such a little change is why most people don't bother to mention it.

See, the problem with those two is that no one else has aged either. 

Also, I don't get why everyone hates Ash. He isn't an amazing lead, but from what I know of the anime he has gotten a bit better. Hell, promo pics for X/Y have Ash alone. That would be something.

My main problem with Ash is that he really hasn't changed at all. Even overlooking the age thing, his personality has more or less stayed the same. It is like listening to a good song over and over, eventually it loses all meaning. I think we are all just tired to seeing the same thing over and over again. I also really hate how he pretty much abandons all his previous Pokemon every new region. Although he did bring Charizard back into B/W.

See, I may be tired of the same guy, but I still like the character. Not knowing what Attract done when he was catching Snivy really irritated me, but I do like how he has at least somewhat improved. I think the fact that it's still such a little change is why most people don't bother to mention it.

This is beating a dead horse but, Sleep Talk Heracross. The problem with Ash is he is as smart as the writers want him to be. So its not really a problem with the character, but the writers. They have written him to be smart, but for plot reasons they don't.

My main problem with Ash is that he really hasn't changed at all. Even overlooking the age thing, his personality has more or less stayed the same. It is like listening to a good song over and over, eventually it loses all meaning. I think we are all just tired to seeing the same thing over and over again. I also really hate how he pretty much abandons all his previous Pokemon every new region. Although he did bring Charizard back into B/W.

A lot of protagonists don't change much over the corse of their series. Goku and Luffy are good examples of this imo.

Wait, you don't like the same things being done over and over but you don't like that he gets a new team every region? I actually do get what your talking about, but their is only so much you can change when you have the same character. And as for things being done different, B/W was something really different since Ash had a rotating team. Plus in all the regions he would bring back old pokemon.

DO WANT. DO FRICKEN WANT. Also, Ash has a shiny. That's something. 

Plus, besides Godachu, he has some really good Pokemon. Heracross, Charizard, Staraptor, Snorlax, Krookdile, Tauros, Infernape, Torterra...................... Um........

Donphan, Sceptile, Gliscor, Swellow. 

Wait, you don't like the same things being done over and over but you don't like that he gets a new team every region? I actually do get what your talking about, but their is only so much you can change when you have the same character. And as for things being done different, B/W was something really different since Ash had a rotating team. Plus in all the regions he would bring back old pokemon.

Yeah, basically what I want is a more or less consistent team, with some original plot lines. I feel as if they are pretty much repeating things with each new season. And while Ash does have a good deal of good Pokemon, he so rarely ever uses them. I mean when was the last time we saw him use Pokemon like Tauros, Snorlax, or Donphan? I also really miss the Pokemon that actually had their own personalities, like Muk and Heracross. I guess Oshawott and Snivy had their own personalities when he first got them, but they have kinda mellowed them out to be like any other Pokemon. 

I happen to like him starting anew every time so new and different Pokemon can be used. I'd like it more if only his newer ones would have that much trouble during battle, but I guess that was already covered. That, and it kind of made sense the first time, at least... but now he has so much already. Good thing he seems to be using some older ones more (really need to catch up though). I don't really care about having a consistent team since that's not the only way to play, and in every region before Unova, he was pretty consistent with what he got for said region, anyway. I also wouldn't say he adandons them since the leagues give some pretty sweet battles with those Pokemon. Which is really the best time to bring back good Pokemon, anyway, and now he's generally made good choices with the Pokemon he has with him in Gym Battles.

Yeah, basically what I want is a more or less consistent team, with some original plot lines. I feel as if they are pretty much repeating things with each new season. And while Ash does have a good deal of good Pokemon, he so rarely ever uses them. I mean when was the last time we saw him use Pokemon like Tauros, Snorlax, or Donphan? I also really miss the Pokemon that actually had their own personalities, like Muk and Heracross. I guess Oshawott and Snivy had their own personalities when he first got them, but they have kinda mellowed them out to be like any other Pokemon. 

I actually like him changing teams. Obviously different preferences, but when you start a new quest you never use the same pokemon, so I think its fair that he does too. Not to mention from a story perspective its hard to keep telling new stories when the center of the show, Ash's pokemon, are the same. To be fair it would be nice if Ash didn't always get the gens bird pokemon or starters but at least Unova had Ash using a bunch of different pokemon that he never used. Not to mention, up until the region change he more or less uses the same pokemon. Only Unova pushed Ash above 6.

Ash uses his good old pokemon for the region's League Conference. Again, I like this. He already proved he can get their with his old pokemon, so using a new team to do so is something I like. But once he gets there he brings back his old guys. I mean he ended the Sinnoh league using most of his Hoenn team. Snorlax and Donphan were also using in the Sinnoh league. He didn't use them in Unova because the big thing about the gen was having no ties to past pokemon. As for the pokemon gimmick they are hit and miss imo.

I actually like him changing teams. Obviously different preferences, but when you start a new quest you never use the same pokemon, so I think its fair that he does too. Not to mention from a story perspective its hard to keep telling new stories when the center of the show, Ash's pokemon, are the same. To be fair it would be nice if Ash didn't always get the gens bird pokemon or starters but at least Unova had Ash using a bunch of different pokemon that he never used. Not to mention, up until the region change he more or less uses the same pokemon. Only Unova pushed Ash above 6.

Ash uses his good old pokemon for the region's League Conference. Again, I like this. He already proved he can get their with his old pokemon, so using a new team to do so is something I like. But once he gets there he brings back his old guys. I mean he ended the Sinnoh league using most of his Hoenn team. Snorlax and Donphan were also using in the Sinnoh league. He didn't use them in Unova because the big thing about the gen was having no ties to past pokemon. As for the pokemon gimmick they are hit and miss imo.

I can see the problem with continuously using the same team, so I guess may statement would change to not always catching the same type of Pokemon. I mean he almost always catches a majority of the starters, as you stated he also gets the bird Pokemon. Unova has been slightly better, but I feel as if the story as of late has been fairly disappointing. I must have missed Snorlax and Donphan being used in Sinnoh, but then again that was a little while ago so I may just be forgetting. 

Does anyone else have a severe distaste for Ash's recent companions? (i.e. Cilan and Iris)

Iris is fine, better in the games though, somewhat annoying. Cilan is sometimes funny, and I really like him. He's a good replacement imo, but if his brothers have proper eyes, why doesn't he?

They seem like generally likable/at least decent characters for what it's supposed to be anyway, a kid's anime. I feel that at least personally, if I was still a kid, I would have loved them.

Fairly easy to go completely off topic in a Pokemon thread... We might still have this going by October.

I like that Ash rotates teams every region since it refreshes things and lets him make use of his expanding collection. Plus it makes for a new set of achievements for each region, such as new evolutions, moves, and whatnot.

I think it'd be interesting if Ash traveled alone for once and we saw the story potential behind that, but I seriously doubt that'll happen. He'll probably travel with the main girl character and/or one/two of the rival characters.

Origins could focus on that aspect too if it gets popular enough to warrant a spin-off series. They could focus more on Red and his Pokémon's growth as they fight Team Rocket, which should be made out to be much more menacing than the main anime.

Archived