Free!

[spoiler=Episode 1]

This definitely felt like good ol' KyoAni. I dunno, I can see these guys growing on me as the show goes on and maybe I'll get caught up in the plot too. And I personally liked the opening and ending's music; I actually don't hate the dubstep they used towards the end either.
Animation really is good and fits right up there with KyoAni standards. Especially with that water, holy hell.
So all in all I'd say it was a good start.[/spoiler]

The fanservice is a lot more tolerable than I thought too. Though that naked water fight was a little...contrived.

• 1 month later...

I'm here to let everyone know that while many people will take the fanservice as fanservice, the majority of this anime is satire making fun of how stupid fanservice is in the other direction.

In other words, if you're sick of fanservice and want to watch a show that turns it around and proceeds to BLOW it out of proportions, may as well watch a few of these episodes. They can certainly give a good laugh.

Free! is surprisingly good imo. The soundtrack is solid, and even if the story is a bit standard, I like the characterization. I like how this pokes fun on the usual fanservice, and how this have no oversexualization of women that is happening too often in today's media. The on screen girls are comparably modest than on the other animes, mainly because the focus is on the guys. But still, in the sea of shameless fanservice for guys, this is a nice refreshment. Guys bashing this sounds like hypocrite since this is basically a gender flipped version on what they usually watch.

Free! is surprisingly good imo. The soundtrack is solid, and even if the story is a bit standard, I like the characterization. I like how this pokes fun on the usual fanservice, and how this have no oversexualization of women that is happening too often in today's media. The on screen girls are comparably modest than on the other animes, mainly because the focus is on the guys. But still, in the sea of shameless fanservice for guys, this is a nice refreshment. Guys bashing this sounds like hypocrite since this is basically a gender flipped version on what they usually watch. Also, on the topic for the anime itself, can anyone give me the spoilers for the 5th and 6th episode? haven't been able to catch up, and won't be able for a while. Last thing, Haruka is awesome.

Essentially, its the K-On! cast genderbent(Admit it, they're just like girls, except with huge, bulging muscles), with more plot going on, really good directing in my opinion, coolio soundtrack, and is graphically attractive. 

I pretend the main cast are just very buff, flat futas with male voice actors. 

Archived