This should be in the Anime & Manga section.

Dragonball Z is nostalgic, I'll say that much. More the video games for me, but after watching the show, I can actually say I know my DBZ excluding the movies.

I'm currently watching the original Dragonball right now, and compared to Z, I found that certain characters in Z needed to be more relevant.

As far as favorites - Saga: Android (Androids 17 & 18 are awesome, but I wish there was more of 17.) Imperfect Cell is my favorite villain with the most badass theme in the series.

OT: Gohan got shafted. :/

Yes he did, I'd say that's my biggest gripe with DBZ. It would've felt better and more natural for Gohan to ultimately surpass his father and become the Earth's protector. I mean, I love Goku and he's an awesome main, but I feel like Toriyama could've at least had the two of them team up to take down Buu.

Isn't "General" where you can, "talk about anything"? If not, sorry.  :T

No worries, it's an honest mistake.

This series will always have a special place in my heart, even if it's not objectively the best one out there.

Isn't "General" where you can, "talk about anything"? If not, sorry.  :T

It is, but only if it isn't related to anything in the Multimedia forum.

Yes he did, I'd say that's my biggest gripe with DBZ. It would've felt better and more natural for Gohan to ultimately surpass his father and become the Earth's protector. I mean, I love Goku and he's an awesome main, but I feel like Toriyama could've at least had the two of them team up to take down Buu.

Ah, yes, I got confused as to what he meant by that. Yeah, now that you mention it, DBZ was about Gohan's progression as a fighter and character. Goku's progression was during Dragonball.

He got his shot at the end of the Cell saga, so my guess is that they were about to end the series there, but the fans demanded more and they were like "f*ck it, let's throw in another saga for lolz."

After Cell, Toriyama wanted Goku staying dead, make Gohan more important, but fans wanted him back enough so he came back.

We all loved Son Goku. But I heard he also planned on him staying dead after the Buu Saga, but the same dilemma happened, so he was brought back in GT. Now, you can't officially kill off a hero in this series, except for dying of old age. (So much for Yamcha's uselessness. Although he is vain. But I love all the characters.) That's the only way Shenron can't bring someone back.

I love when people say other characters like Ichigo or Naruto can kill Goku...even when he is in Super Saiyan 4 form. Silly people. :3

I hate it, but still laugh in their faces. They argue of favoritism. I'm agreeing on that one. 

So, anyone watched the Abridged series? 

I think Cell Saga was my favorite in the end. Mainly for its final battle, but also because I feel like the unimportant characters got to be important for just a little longer...

And it tied in with events from Dragon Ball. Kinda cool that the Red Ribbon Army came back to haunt Goku, but also kind of weird how Cell was able to become as strong as he did just because he was made of a bunch of random warriors' cells.

I think Cell Saga was my favorite in the end. Mainly for its final battle, but also because I feel like the unimportant characters got to be important for just a little longer...

And it tied in with events from Dragon Ball. Kinda cool that the Red Ribbon Army came back to haunt Goku, but also kind of weird how Cell was able to become as strong as he did just because he was made of a bunch of random warriors' cells.

That's true, I'll give you that. It's funny how characters who became important from Dragon Ball, became unimportant in Dragon Ball Z. The character who really did something, such as Yamcha, in the last series had stayed potentially weaker than other characters.

I actually don't watch the anime, but I have all 42 volumes of the Manga and I've read them all more than once. My favorite arc would have to be Majin Buu one, because the action and drama peaked there IMO. Gotenks' personality is a big plus for lighting the atmosphere after everybody on Earth died but the fight before the Goku vs Kid Buu one is just chaos. 

I mean, first it's Gotenks vs Buu, then it's Gohan vs Buu, Gohan vs BuuTenks, Goku vs BuuHan and then Vegito pwning Buu all in one volume, which is probably the source of my pacing issues. The fight just went too fast and it just seemed like buildup until Vegito appears. Also, the fight literally turned the whole Gohan training thing completely pointless. 

Related to Vegeta, shame about his Final Flash against Cell, yes? Would've destroyed him then and there, but Earth get in way and had to avert blast partially to stop planet blowing up, let Cell live.

Screw the Earth. Wish it back with the Dragon Balls.

Then watch as the people don't even care that they've been brought back to life.

Archived