Suisei no Gargantia

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was kinda hoping Ledo would just fire after they past the ship.

Oh god that was a good laugh. It might just obliterate all of them, too. But I have huge doubts about that since the space Hideauze are still putting up a fight. If they were just plain Squids maybe. Then again, I suppose it would be entertaining if he did fire and most of them survived.

I think that's what many people expected, including me, so they decided not to.

But him NOT really added to the tension. After all, we were all just sitting there as they passed asking "When? When? WHEN? WHEN WILL YOU LEDO WHEN?"

[spoiler=Episode 7]

Nice, the show's back on track! I was a little startled that he squeezed the whalesquid into guts; the show's been far from that kind of aspect so far, it's almost like seeing someone take a drag in Dora the Explorer. Not that it's a bad thing, just felt out of place for me.
And I was a little frustrated that Ledo wouldn't understand that they'd be harmless if unprovoked, but you could chalk it up to effective conditioning from the military as to why he can't look at the situation from another perspective. It's irritating, but understandable.
I don't know what the treasure's supposed to be like, maybe the truth behind the origins of the Hideauze or something like that. I wouldn't be surprised if Ledo was warped to the past and ended up at the turning point that sparked the original war with the Hideauze. [/spoiler]

[spoiler=Episode 7]

It's irritating, but understandable.

[b]I think that's EXACTLY what they were going for. Effective indeed.[/b]

I wouldn't be surprised if Ledo was warped to the past and ended up at the turning point that sparked the original war with the Hideauze.

[b]Woah, now. That's a little much, dontcha think?[/b][/spoiler]

[spoiler=But it'd make sense, wouldn't it?]

Ledo/Gargantia ends up doing something to piss off the whalesquids by going after them aggressively, which led them to become aggressive in return and tons of years with evolution later, you get the Hideauze. 

Of course, I'm not expecting that to be the ending. I'm expecting that to be the turning point that they realize, and then work to avoid.

...but then again, Urobochi wrote the last episode.

So maybe we will get the bad ending...

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=But it'd make sense, wouldn't it?]

Ledo/Gargantia ends up doing something to piss off the whalesquids by going after them aggressively, which led them to become aggressive in return and tons of years with evolution later, you get the Hideauze. 

Of course, I'm not expecting that to be the ending. I'm expecting that to be the turning point that they realize, and then work to avoid.

...but then again, Urobochi wrote the last episode.

So maybe we will get the bad ending...

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=oi]

I know that's how the Hideauze came to be, of course. It's the whole time travel part that made me go "wait no"

Perhaps we will get BAD END. Who knows...[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Episode 7]

Nice, the show's back on track! [/spoiler]

I wouldn't really say that at all. You could say that, if you thought half an episode was enough to establish a "track". The way it's been since the beginning is the only thing that's changing, really. At least that's how it seems for me. Every anime is gonna have an episode or two that isn't really important, but they kept the same general feel of the world and it didn't feel like it lost track of what it was trying to do in the first place, if you remember the quote I took from the official site.

By back on track, I mean it's found the main plot again. I didn't really get into the last two episodes; it seemed too fillerish with little development and the fanservice was too "in your face" for me to take seriously.

What especially got me was at the end of the race in episode 5 with the water tower spraying water everywhere.

You know

That rare, precious resource everyone had to rush to collect with tarps.

And you know the water tower was spraying fresh water because sea water corrodes and rusts everything it touches and you're not gonna spray that on your ships more then you have to. Not to mention it would also poison the plant life you've got going on the ship (though I can't remember if plants were in the vicinity, so potentially moot point).

Episode 6 was a little better, but it didn't advance the plot much either, aside from Ledo finding out about the whalesquids' existence. And they spent way too much time showing booty shots of the girls dancing. 

The show couldn't think of better material to fill the middle and it showed. 

But episode 7 was a great step up, so here's hoping it just keeps up until the end.

You know
And you know the water tower was spraying fresh water because sea water corrodes and rusts everything it touches and you're not gonna spray that on your ships more then you have to. Not to mention it would also poison the plant life you've got going on the ship (though I can't remember if plants were in the vicinity, so potentially moot point).

Oh pfft, that's just a load of garbage imo. Most anime have things that stupid that you're clearly not supposed to take seriously, there's almost no point in trying to figure that out. Granted, it's a lot more obvious than most things, but that's the one thing that really doesn't seem like you should take seriously.

By back on track, I mean it's found the main plot again. I didn't really get into the last two episodes; it seemed too fillerish with little development and the fanservice was too "in your face" for me to take seriously.

About the little development. That's exactly why I could take them seriously. I don't know about you, but I like there being some episodes with little development, so you can kind of sit back and relax. It felt a lot more like what I expected so I really enjoyed it.

Like I said before the fan service didn't feel so bad compared to a lot of other anime, even ones where it's only usually that fan servicey for the episode or 2, so it's not just that most fanservice isn't something I dislike being why there was no way it felt "in your face" for me. It actually has to feel at least like the usual fare to feel in my face, imo.

Episode 6 was a little better, but it didn't advance the plot much either, aside from Ledo finding out about the whalesquids' existence. And they spent way too much time showing booty shots of the girls dancing.

There wasn't better material really, it's a lot different to your traditional fare, as Mako said.

Actually I disagree with that, it's basically a lot more fan servicey version of the scene where Morgiana dances in Magi.

Agree to disagree I guess. Although

Oh pfft, that's just a load of garbage imo. Most anime have things that stupid that you're clearly not supposed to take seriously, there's almost no point in trying to figure that out. Granted, it's a lot more obvious than most things, but that's the one thing that really doesn't seem like you should take seriously.

It absolutely should be taken seriously when the show goes out of the way to make a point out of it, that fresh water is scarce and a sacred resource, and then to go waste it on a party is downright stupid

...I think I'm also going to break this down.

I can see why someone would think this, but it was crucial to Ledo's development as a character imo. If we weren't shown how Ledo began to change through daily life on the Gargantia, we would all find it weird when he suddenly changes later.

What especially got me was at the end of the race in episode 5 with the water tower spraying water everywhere.

You know

And you know the water tower was spraying fresh water because sea water corrodes and rusts everything it touches and you're not gonna spray that on your ships more then you have to. Not to mention it would also poison the plant life you've got going on the ship (though I can't remember if plants were in the vicinity, so potentially moot point).

Indeed there were plants nearby. It was a watering session. Point moot.

Episode 6 was a little better, but it didn't advance the plot much either, aside from Ledo finding out about the whalesquids' existence. And they spent way too much time showing booty shots of the girls dancing.

Well, it can't always be plot advancement, and there was a bit here and there, save for the Whalesquid part. Like how Pinion and ...the other one were both trying to convince Ledo to join their scavenging groups. I especially liked it when Ledo reacted so violently to that octopus. It was super tense. As for the belly dancing parts, I will agree that it went on for a LITTLE too long, but I still found it enjoyable (not in a perverted sense). It was fluid and beautiful. And don't even get me started about when Amy danced for Ledo personally. hnnnng my heart

But episode 7 was a great step up, so here's hoping it just keeps up until the end.

Yeah, for a 13 episode anime, having another filler ep by this point would be completely illogical.

[spoiler=On THAT note...]

I found a tumblr post going more into detail about that whole time travel thing that Fusion mentioned.

...wow. I can now see that working actually...please don't. PLEASE don't happen. ;_;[/spoiler]

Maybe I'm too hung up over those episodes relying on otaku pandering for that filler material.

Regardless, it's how I felt. It'd be easier to swallow if it were an OVA, but I would've preferred Ledo receiving that same development through ways that could have also developed Amy/whoever else and taught us more about Gargantia. 

I just checked back on the episode. I saw some greenery around, but I didn't really see the water land on any of it.

And it was in a perfect arc, I didn't see any rain falling within the hemisphere, just at the edges of it.

I also liked Ledo violently reacting to it. It reminded us he really is still a soldier at heart.

I will agree that the personal dance wasn't really perverted, but we will have to agree to disagree, since I found the rest of the dancing fan servicey but not nearly as much as usual.

And I will also agree about it being a watering session. It didn't feel out of place until I saw a post where someone else was questioning it, where I just figured it would be better for me to just ignore it because I'm not good at explaining stuff all the time, but I did see plants so idk.

Well, we can all have our opinions.

...EVERYTIME I THINK BACK TO THAT TUMBLR POST

IT MAKES MORE SENSE

AND IT UPSETS ME

I'll have to see how that goes really to see whether or not I agree with it, I guess.

I'm sorry. Because I just realized something. I never cared about the plot one bit in the first place. I only cared about it enough to establish what I was kinda made to expect. So that's why it always was on track for me, but now...

Well, let's just hope I still enjoy it.

[spoiler=Episode 8] was sad. But at the same time, I don't really feel like there is anything to note. Just the funeral and preparing to leave. They've only split apart the only 2-3 (Chamber) main characters, is all.

;~;[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Episode 8]

That episode was alright, but not too much happened. It would have benefitted if the show were able to flesh out their side characters (Amy, Ridget, Bellows, maybe Fairlock) a little more before this episode happened to get more of an emotional response out of it. But I didn't really feel all too sad about Fairlock's death; we barely knew him and we didn't even get a reaction out of our main characters regarding his passing.

Though, I do like Ridget a little more now and it could be interesting to see if Gargantia goes through any major changes under her leadership. And I'm also very glad that they didn't do the cliche route of Amy joining Ledo. It makes more sense to stay with her family and home instead of tagging along with some guy she met just a bit ago like a lovesick puppy.
I hope we get more exposition on Ledo's past rather than just knowing he had a brother that gave him his flute, so here's hoping.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=episode 8]

This episode was pretty slow, and I liked it.

The commander/commodore's death wasn't really meant to make us care about him or anything, it was more of a plot device to help Ridget grow up as a person, as well as to get the plot moving. I'm fine with it this way, really.

I like how much this series focuses more on the philosophical and moral parts and not really have any action. It makes the show a unique mecha, and feels refreshing.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Episode 8]
and we didn't even get a reaction out of our main characters regarding his passing.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Well,] the mains barely even knew him either. But it is strange that there was NO reaction, I must admit, since he was fleet commander.[/spoiler]

Archived