Death Note

Cloister

The manga and anime are similar, except a few scenes are either done differently, don't exist or where added. The rain scene before L's death doesn't occur for example. The attack on the mafia happened twice (as opposed to once in the anime). Soichiro was questioned by Near before going back to Light, specifically about if the kidnappers were eating (Near knew of Mello's love of chocolate so was specific). In regards to the end of the manga, the manga had an ending chapter where Kira was laid to rest by supporters and Matsuda raised questions about Near (who had picked up eating chocolate). In relation to Light's death, in the manga he died in the warehouse whilst in the anime he had fled the scene before dying. If they are in the anime feel free to correct me as I need to rewatch it, but if I tried to watch it all in 2 days, my brain would explode....(I tried it last time 24 episodes in 1 day, with the recap and the remaining episodes on day 2). Matt also gets more lines in the manga and is more involved. I don't think when he surveyed the task force in the anime he said as much.

Stalled at chapter 85, because it's hard going.

Death Note 2: The Last Name had a massive twist on Light's death, because of the 23 day rule. (Which allowed the rather rubbish L Change The World to happen).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='Cloister' timestamp='1352988656' post='6070203']
Ahh, okey. Also, I've found a BB fan-made song which I find pretty good.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDG8mtDbQAs&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

Meh, fan-made themes don't appeal to me. And I tried reading The Los Angeles Murders Case book, but since it was a novel, I couldn't picture it all out that well, and I was bored at reading that time.

You're really missing out by not reading it, since it gives a little information on how disasterous the 1st generation at Wammy's started. Also it covers the case that Naomi mentions to Light in '04. It does make you wonder if a careless Shinigami dropped his/her eyes. I love how the author captured Mello's nature.
Upto 105 now should be finished by 10pm (if Dad doesn't keep disturbing me with stupid pc questions)

I really enjoyed how they get Mello's nature across, and he could relate to Beyond, being second and all. I enjoyed the having to think and the thought process Beyond lead Naomi through.

Just finishing up on 109 now, I finished the pilot earlier just need to write down it's rules (because of the eraser). On the 5th pen since starting making notes....

I feel sorry for Matt. I do like how Mello doesn't intend on killing people, probably means he used his brains to get where he did in the mafia. (Well he needed pawns for the death note, no point in him doing it himself). He expressed that he didn't want to kill Soichiro (Like how he's wanted for murdering Soichiro even though it was Jose who shot him, probably would have died without the explosion) and was feeling down after hearing about Matt's death.

Matt is pretty badass shame we didn't get to see more of Mail to be honest.

I did like how Light forget what Ryuk said at the beginning, that he would be the one to write his name. I think after Rozen Maiden, I'll work through the anime to work out the difference between DN in anime and manga.

Matt only got like 2 minutes in the anime. Since many only watch the anime, I just don't understand how Matt all of a sudden gets freaking fanrt and shipping from Mello. I'd say the same for Sidoh as well. He had a bigger role in the manga than anime, which he only appeared in one episode's length.

How To Read 13 only gives a little more information such as him being Number 3 (behind Mello and Near), but I suppose it's because of Mello calling in him and that small amount of information that Mello and Matt are so commonly paired. (A pairing I like actually)

I don't like Matt, probably because I know nothing about him, so I don't really not like him either...

Anyways, just finished Relight 2, and I was like "Whatdafuck". Seriously, why did they have to have L as narrator in the beginning and why did they cut out the part where L stands above Light in the end, after he's dead?! WHY!!!!!??!?!

I do wonder why Near never thought of the fake being fake until Mello's sucidial method of revealing it, I wonder if he was fooled by Mikami openly using the Death Note infront of Gevanni on the underground.

For Mello it was all about beating Near, probably from a young age so co-operation was never an option, which is why he had to use his wits whereas Near got inheritance from L to help

• 2 weeks later...

It's kinda hard to keep discussion of a series that's finished going over something that's ongoing.

But interestingly enough, looking back on Death Note, I didn't root for Light like I did the first time reading it. I still like his character, but I wanted L to win more.
I dunno if it's because I know how things turn out or if I've personally changed though.

This post is gonna be long (maybe), will comment on basically everything that's been said.

First of all, the anime and manga are different in some ways, but basically the same. For example, the attack against the mafia Mello joined was shown 2 times in the manga (first time failed due to Sidoh) and the second one they got the Notebook back. After Near told the Japanese task force that he thoguht that a rule was fake, Mello made Mogi go into the SPK headquarters so that Near could confirm that L=Kira. At the end, Near told Light that since he found Mikami so fast, he overlooked the part with the fake Notebook. And that he should have considered the posibility that the Notebook was a fake one.
And in the end where Light dies, he is still in the warehouse instead of a staircase outside.

With that said, I hope that at least an anime or manga will show the battle between L and Beyond Birthday. That book was really great. Only book that is better is L: Change the World. If there would be a new manga or anime in the Death Note series, I think it will be about L and Beyond Birthday, basically because the pupil VS the master (where the master wins of course). But anyway, hope there will be a book about the great detective wars. In the book L: Change the World, it is said that L started of as a detective as the age of 8, where he help the police catch a bomber I think.

Well, for all Near haters, I really hope you Burn in H***. I love Near. Best character ever, if you ask me. I love how he and Mello work together. Even though they dont get along and that they compete eachother to catch Kira, but they help each other by keeping contact with one another and share information to the other to get them to help one self to get closer to Kira.

The one character I would have wanted to see more of is Matt. Too bad he died by the hands of Kiyomi's bodyguards. Anyway, if he should have died, I was hoping it to be Kira who killed him. Wanted Matt to be one candidate to suceed L in the manga/anime.

Near is by far the most inteligent person in the series whereas L is close behind. But L was a better detective than Near was. I hate Light/Kira. He is an arrogant 18 year old boy who is bored. Well, kinda like myself, which is why I hate him. Anyway, the one who deserves his "punishments" the most os him. He is way worse than all Serial Killers combined in history of mankind.

I think that killing L was a bit of a letdown. I mean, almost everyone who watched Death Note liked him, and the serie died when he did (I liked the chapters more when Near/Mello appeared though and it was reborn from the ashes of a dead serie like the Pheonix in Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets). Anyway, I loved the two last chapters of the anime. They are the best episodes so far. If Ohba and Obata would have made Light win, I would have go to Japan and TP their house.

I read at deathnote wiki that L defeted Light (through his sucessors). And I agree. Thoguh they found out the information on the Kira case without the information that L had gathered. I think Near was between 18 to 20 years old when he caught Kira. I want atleast a new season of Death Note where Near have taken over as L and fight against a new mastermind criminal (preferably from Wammys House).

Have I forgotten something. Oh, and I know that some of this is in the wrong order but still, please tell if I have forgotten something here. Hope you enjoyed reading my thoughts.

[quote name='Byond' timestamp='1355343959' post='6091477']
I think Near was between 18 to 20 years old when he caught Kira.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Near was 14-15 or something like that at the series' end. He was definitely younger than L was.
Kinda refreshing to see someone else who doesn't hate Near; I never got people's biff with him. Any reasons they gave seemed to stem more from the series' timeskip overall rather than just the character himself.

Though I never got the hype behind Matt either. He wasn't around too long for me to give a damn, to be honest.

I'm sure any sort of Death Note spin-off would be interesting to see. Or maybe an animated version of the alternate end where Light won the war and kept killing until he reached old age.

[quote name='Fusion X. Denver' timestamp='1355347419' post='6091523']
Kinda refreshing to see someone else who doesn't hate Near; I never got people's biff with him. Any reasons they gave seemed to stem more from the series' timeskip overall rather than just the character himself.
[/quote]

#1 Reason: He's not L. He replaced the character everyone got attached to.

Near didn't suceed L by himself.

I'm pretty sure that Near was around 18 when he defeated Kira. Near was 13-14 when he was at Wammys. Then when he met the president, it states that he brought three years investigation, which he gathered after the defeat of L.

Was there something I missed in my first post in this fabulous thread.

To all Near haters: STOP HATE HIM. HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING TO YOU.

Well, anyway, here are the top 5 characters in Death Note (my personal list)

1. Near
2. L
3. Mello
4. Matt (even though he only appears in a few pages and little in anime, he still rocks)
5. Hal Lidner and Gevanni (tie)

Archived