Death Note

Cloister

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Death Note is great because it makes you feel smarter than you actually are. It makes the kids think they're watching like, ambiguous morality and symbols and stuff. That's false. At its most morally ambiguous it's Black and Gray Morality. The whole thing is pretty straightforward.

That's not to say it's bad. [s]It's awesome[/s] 75% of it is awesome. When I was determining my top five favorite anime, it snuck into the #5 slot and refused to budge.

also inb4potatochip

I love this series too; it's in my top 10 series overall.
I actually found myself rooting for the bad guy at times and I [i]never[/i] do that.

I don't get why everyone hates Near though. I mean, I don't particularly like the guy, but I don't see any reason to despise him like everyone else does .__.

But yeah, this story uses suspense well, it's clever, and it's one of the first few I'd show someone first getting into anime.

<3 it, do need to reread the manga.

The only downside to the series was the 3rd film...as great as Ken'ichi Matsuyama was as L. The storyline was epic fail. Would have loved to seen the fight between Beyond and L make it to film or anime. (Can't imagine what Beyond looks like under all the make up).

Wouldn't like one of Near, I prefer Mello's calculated brashness. We did have a spin off in the manga set 3 years later, when someone starts killing Over 65s (then 60s). Near decides to react as L would, and declare disinterest. and that it's not Kira In the end it was just Midora (Shingami) who got bored and a weak willed human.

I agree about the other options I wonder if the author who wrote Another Note was ever going to write about the other tales L told Mello.

When Watari died all data was removed that was L's first warning that Watari was dead (it came up on the screen, and was Watari's last action when he felt the heart attack), it was in order that Light couldn't gain the information that they had gathered in the future. Makes me wonder just how much data L and Watari actually had on Light and Misa beyond what they had disclosed. All that was left was the basic voice program that L and Watari used when approaching authorities. (As mentioned by Light)

It was said that N had to start from scratch and all Roger seemed to recieve before confronting Mello and Near with L's death was a text, sent from a remote computer, that was obviously programmed to send it by either prolonged inactivity or deletion of all data after a short period of time.

So in order to prevent Light getting the information L had, he had to disadvantage his potential successors. (It allowed them to prove themselves and he knew they were intelligent enough)

But that would prove Near inferior to L. L had to work it out himself he'd expected Mello and Near to work it out. You have to remember Near's plans wouldn't have worked without Mello's pincer movement he forced Light's human emotions to show him up and to force Mikami to screw up to reveal the Death Note's true location.

I do feel sorry for Mello, he's more relatedable to because he had to work his ass off to get to the position Near got to without much effort. (Remember that in school). I do like how Near did accept that he needed Mello's behaviour.

Need to reread properly since I'm dipping and out.

[quote name='SpectralMaliceX' timestamp='1352762446' post='6067724']
There is a potential two further series to Death note.

The first of the two would act as a pre-cursor to the original series and documenting the BB murders.

The second of these potential follow up shows would be a straight forward sequal where a new Kira appears and Near trains his replacement while solving the case.
[/quote]

that sounds pretty good, except i think that if they did make 2 series, let alone any more, your second one would be that series.
anyway, death note, awesome! :)

Managed to get upto chapter 68/109 so far, still trying to figure out the date the countdown clock was first shown. It's only taking so long because I'm making notes because I do miss things and How To Read 13's date confuse me sometimes. I do like how quickly Mello and Near reveal that the Japanese police are useless.

An anime series of the BB murder case would be good, but very short. I would like to see what Beyond really looks like without the makeup. Would they tell you that Kira killed him 21 days after Naomi's death?

As for a sequel I'd have to disagree Chapter 109 exists and Light commented early on what the chances of a Shinigami coming to earth were (1 in 100 or 1000 years if I remember right), yea Chapter 109 had Midora come down because she wanted to replicate Ryuk's boredoom alleviation success. The chapter also proved how unlikely it was to find a human as strong willed as Light was, Ryuk made reference to how other humans struggled to cope with the power behind it and hidding it (very early on). That and it would be Wammy's House training another L successor not Near.

Don't kill a good series with sequels, I agree with Cakey's sarcasm.

For me, the stories that sound most interesting and that I would like seeing being made into short animes (like the Rewrites or something) are the BB murders and the great detective war, since I believe L's backstory could be delved into, without making it forced.

But one could only wish.

It would be dangerous to go too far into how L ended up with Watari, but they did dare to explain a tiny bit about Beyond (like how his parents died) as well as how badly Wammy's House started off with A's suicide. I'd like the detective war story too of how L claimed Denevue (I think it's spelt it's somewhere in my notes) and Eraldo Coil, since we know how he claimed Ryuzaki from Beyond. And if Eraldo Coil was known for finding people before L claimed the name. (One of the Yotsuba group mention it).

I like how L isn't afraid to take controversial routes to get the information he needs. I feel sorry for him after Higuichi is caught he can feel the noose tightening, but plays straight into Light's plan to force Rem's hand.

Upto 71 now.

So that's accepted by me and you. We do need to come up with another topic idea. Just got upto 85. I do like how Mello and Near feel free to use each other to gain information, and was surprised when Mello's contact with Hal begun the day after the explosion (Mello entered the base with her as a hostage on the 19th, but had been in contact for a week already putting contact at the 12th when the attack was the 11th). And just how quickly Near figures Light = Kira just from Mello's message on the 13 day rule (as payment for his photograph back information Mello got from Sidoh) and Aizawa's comment about the act L asked Soichiro to pull on the two suspects. I do love how Light gets more fustrated by Near.

How To Read 13's timeline is both useful and fustrating at the same time, because you realise you missed little bit when it comes to dates.

Archived