Zero no Tsukaima (The Familiar of Zero)

First season was great

Second season was so unbelievably awful. Like... everything that could possibly go wrong did. Pretty much all the background characters like Guiche and Montmercy and Tabitha and Kirche were ignored for the Queen's bodyguard getting a bunch of pointless character development that was ultimately useless in the end because they rarely delve into this and only do so in passing later on. The ending of the season was terrible, and Saito's character is reduced to being some kind of breast obsessed creep. Also the ending theme was awful.

Third season was okay. unfortunately, most of the female characters except Montmercy and like... that's it... are reduced to just being potential mates for Saito.

Fourth season is more of the same "okay", but further seems to give the girl's less personality and just assign them the role of "that girl Saito doesn't pick". And that's another thing. We really gotta believe 2 princesses (Henrietta and Charlotte), 2 noblewomen (Louise and Kirche), and 2 randoms with huge breasts (Seista and Tiffa) are both eager to be with this random guy who doesn't know the customs of the country, seems hugely disrespectful to everyone, and is for all accounts just a commoner?

... In any case he should have picked the princess. or Siesta. Or really any of them other then Louise. She was a mean little bitch who treated him poorly whenever he annoyed her, which was all the time.

tl;dr - Zero no Tsukaima. Discuss it.

I only like the second season the best because the ending fight episodes were amazing. Overall, the anime is the best multi-season anime I've seen, obviously. I do hate what they did to the original side characters, it would've been nice to actually see growth in their abilities. As it stands, the Magic Academy didn't really teach any of the students to be better/stronger mages, stronger people just showed up as the story went on. Although, my biggest problem is how quickly King Joseph was killed off...but what you gonna do?

I would've picked the Princess, but your Explosions scare me. =S

Joseph didn't take that long to die. He was introduced in early Season 2 and died in mid-Season 4.

Overall, I think Louise and the elf girl grow most as mages. But since the other characters just kind of disappeared I assumed they got better off screen.

I wonder what happened to Kirche's salamander thing and Guiche's little weird mole thing though. No one's familiar other then Tabitha's and Louise's (obviously) show up in like... all of season 4.

I mean how early in season 4 and overall anti-climatic his death was. He was a major antagonist for more than a season, yet dies in episode 3.

I haven't looked into the light novels, but hopefully there is more for the "unimportant" characters. I heard that there would be a season 4 and 5, but the creator (or someone important) getting sick (cancer I think) made it so they had to squeeze everything into a final season.

I haven't read the light novels, but apparently what Louise does to Saito in the anime (in terms of abuse) is almost tame in comparison, from what I've heard.

It's a great show. There's plenty of humor and action, and I'm just a sucker for romance (loli tsundere FTW). For some reason the final fight of Season 4 didn't feel rushed to me, though I am curious about how Saito stole that plane...

I would love an OVA of Saito and Louise in Japan. I'd at least like to see Saito's parents.

Archived