to-love-ru

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I accidentally found an article on this on wikipedia. I finished it yesterday. It was a good anime/ova.
The characterization was alright and the general idea was great for the harem genre. However, I noticed this waseerily similar to Girls Bravo in a sense and so my opinion on it was a bit strafed. More over I dislike how the anime continues the old "Sensitive and nervous about everything" personality in the heroins. Rather, I would have preferred more daring heroins like they did in other harem anime's like Demon King Daimao, Mahou Sensei Negima, and Zero no Tsukaima. In general however I also disliked how the anime also continued the long line of "Boy gets into random mishaps which lead to embarrassing moments and him being kicked around constantly for it" cliche. After Love Hina drowned that mini-plot device other harem animes took it so far it became a shameful cliche like in Zero no Tsukaima. It would have been nice to have a more opinionated male protagonist in the anime like in The Wonderful World of Narue, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, or in Kanon.

All in all although this harem anime pretty much shows off every cliche in harem anime history, its effective use of characterization and its use of the "We're not gonna tell you who likes Rito" form of harem competition was the big bang to the whole operation. It isn't the best Harem anime out there but it sure is a good one.

These are generally how the releases are split:

Aniplex: Dub only sure hits like Madoka. Sub everything else, even Bakemonogatari.
FUNimation: Dub everything.
Sentai Filmworks: Even split.
VIZ: (I actually have no idea - they rarely release anything)
NIS America: Sub-only releases only.
Media Blasters: I've only heard of dub releases from them, but I admittedly have not seen many of their releases to verify.

The OVAs were likely skipped because the price tag was needlessly enormous.

Archived