Liar Game

[quote name='Kyubey' timestamp='1323027949' post='5686227']
Why did it take so long for this thing to update? It's been what, a year? Anyways, Yokoya's back and still as insufferably smug as always. Nao still isn't going to quit, though her Purity Sue-ness is starting to grate on me...
[/quote]

The author needed to think of a new game, if I'm not entirely mistaken.

I feel like it was a good chapter to come back to. We see a litte bit of character growth in Nao, which is always a good thing. Akiyama coming back to play the game was a bit of a surprise, but from his backstory I guess I should've seen it coming. Looking forward to the next chapter.

I think the author had some medical illness that prevented him from working on it for so long. I'm curious how much attention Block B will get if Yokoya and Fukunaga are the only familiar characters there.

I agree that Nao had some character growth in this chapter, which helped was a nice read after the hiatus. The only thing that really bothered me was that, with Akiyama here, Nao will probably have to rely on him in this round.

New chapter's up.

[quote name='Phantom Roxas' timestamp='1323037299' post='5686719']
I think the author had some medical illness that prevented him from working on it for so long. I'm curious how much attention Block B will get if Yokoya and Fukunaga are the only familiar characters there.
[/quote]

Block B also has a lot of side-characters from earlier rounds, which sets up for some nice twists in this chapter. Yokoya knowing what game they're going to play, though... will definitely be interesting to see how this plays out.

Also, Fukunaga's face when (s)he tells off Yokoya is just priceless.

I don't know, given the sheer amount of money that goes through the game every round, it doesn't seem like something you would find on the internet. And, being able to guess this particular game from a potential list of dozens, if not more? Seems unlikely to me.

I think this round's Dealer tipped the scales just a bit, to make things more interesting. The Secretariat's leader seems to want Yokoya in the game, it's not impossible that someone else would... maybe because they think he's the only one that stands a chance against Akiyama / Nao?

[quote name='Travie' timestamp='1323728226' post='5702893']
So far only mods and former mods have posted. Time to break that chain.
So far so good, I've barely gotten past the 3rd page so I need to give it a better chance. Is it really worth the read?
[/quote]

This is probably one of the most, if not [b]the [/b]most, intelligent story I've ever read. Definitely worth the read. (When you get to the Third Game; don't be put-off if you lose track of the game, that happens to everyone.)

So I guess that throws Crab's "Yokoya has a mole in Block A" theory out the window. Seems like the B block had their reveal first.

That said, it seems like an interesting game. Yokoya will probably try and manipulate as many people as possible into becoming pigs.

A standard deck has 52 cards, and the fact that no visible lots contained repeats of any single card and the fact that no rules for hands like five-of-a-kind were included suggests that only a single copy of each of the 52 cards will be included in this game. There are 11 players. To avoid being a pig, a player must have 5 or more cards in their hand. Therefore, for there to be no pigs, a total of 55 cards must be in play. This is impossible. Therefore, there will be at least one pig. [b]Therefore, any player who is not a pig is guaranteed to be a winner.[/b] Grab a five-card hand at the start and sit on it, and you will definitely not lose. And you won't need to spend gold coins in the change rounds, which is an added bonus.

I also see no particular reason for discarding cards to ever be useful. It's not stated that you are forced to discard any cards (which would be a break from normal poker), and it's not stated that you need to discard cards to buy more cards in the change stage (they certainly don't mention that you can only bid on sets of cards equal in size to the number of cards you discarded, which is very much a nontrivial rule, so it can be inferred that that rule does not exist, and so no similar restrictions exist), and having extra cards cannot possibly make your hand worse (since only your best five-card subset is counted). So why would it ever be advantageous to discard anything? The idea is probably that you ally with people and that you discard cards your teammates need to improve their hands and vice-versa, but that forces you to spend gold coins and run the risk of an opponent outbidding you or your partner and intercepting the trade (and turning one of you into a pig).

Also, note that the "a pig must exist" thing is false in the case of a four-player game, so that can't possibly be what Nao has noticed.

Another possible strategy: Win all the bids in the opening round to get eleventybillion cards, then say "Unless you guys all pay me $$$$$ I won't discard anything so you'll all be forced to pig because there will be no cards available".

• 1 month later...

Archived