Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai

Translated as "We Still Don't Know the Name of the Flower We Saw That Day"

*copy pasta off Wikipedia*

A group of six childhood friends drift apart after one of them, Meiko "Menma" Honma, dies in an accident. Several years after the incident, the leader of the group, Jinta Yadomi, has withdrawn from society and lives as a recluse. One summer day, an older looking Menma appears before him and asks to have a wish granted, though she does not remember what it is. Forcing him to gather his estranged friends to help Menma pass on. But they face trouble of getting the group to believe him, Menma's parents and the conflicts hidden within the group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ano_Hi_Mita_Hana_no_Namae_o_Bokutachi_wa_Mada_Shiranai

11 episodes long. Was really sad, but also heartwarming.

Would recommend.

Discuss?

[quote name='Legend Zero' timestamp='1319397125' post='5596261']
One of the 3 animes which made me cry. That ending. ='[

I'm a guy and I can still admit it, it was extremely moving.
[/quote]

Being a guy doesn't have anything to do with emotions- it's a stereotype that guys shouldn't cry over stories.

*adds anime to list*

Will watch after Haruhi, I guess. Sounds good.

[quote name='Legend Zero' timestamp='1319397125' post='5596261']
One of the 3 animes which made me cry. That ending. ='[

I'm a guy and I can still admit it, it was extremely moving.
[/quote]
What were the other two, if you don't mind me asking?

But yeah, lolololnopersonalconversations. I rarely watch animes, I think the last one I watched that was as moving as this one was Angel Beats (except Angel Beats had many more comedic moments, but also much sadder ones as well). Which reminds me, is there an Angel Beats topic? <_<

[quote name='PikaPerson01' timestamp='1319398121' post='5596292']

What were the other two, if you don't mind me asking?
[/quote]
Kaze no Stigma, when Lapis reveals the final thought of Tsui Ling. (not sure if I cried or teared up, but I remember being incredibly sad)
And I'm not for sure on the next one but I think it was Kino no Tabi. =/

Sounds interesting. Might watch later.

[quote name='Astro Dude' timestamp='1319502334' post='5598883']
Well excuse me for not liking sad endings.
[/quote]

If you don't like sad endings, avoid series that are telling you with huge, flashing neon lights that a sad ending is coming. Not liking something is not an excuse to destroy the entire point of the plot to suit your needs.

[quote name='Astro Dude' timestamp='1319457065' post='5597625']
My version: Menma never died.
[/quote]

Uhh... Menma's death was the whole entire point of the series. Her death defines the entire personalities and actions and interactions of just about everyone in the Super Peace Busters other then Tsuruko.

Jintan is a depressed loser virgin because of her death (and partly because of his mom's death as well). Yukiatsu is a mean spirited dick towards everyone because he blames himself for Menma's death and hates Jintan for reminding him of her. Poppo is a happy go lucky guy because he's trying to distract himself from the terrible mental image of watching her body floating down the river. Anaru feels an overwhelming guilt for hating Menma, because she stole Jintan away from her.

Like... every single character is defined because of her death. It's like saying "Oh well in my version of Death Note, Light's notebook didn't work and every single death was just a huge coincidence." when that's pretty much the premise of the show.

... Unless you meant "in my version, Menma stays with the Super Peace Busters instead of going to heaven" but then you kind of miss the point of the ls episode. It was all about the psychology of letting go and moving ahead, which absolutely none of them did until the last episode. They even insist (several times) that everything is all the same. They never really explored their feelings of grief or sorrow and just drifted away and never brought it up, so when Menma finally told them goodbye, they all finally recieved the closure they needed after all these years. They needed to let Menma go, so they could continue on with their lives instead of obsessing over her.

Archived