Sugar Cube Corner [Reboot]: Bronies of YCM

Dementuo

I actually like King Sombrero a lot.

Something else before my thousand word essay:
[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ezalAw_FEWE/Tc8PqgOJtOI/AAAAAAAAEfY/u0LUc7xwUIs/s1600/12992175504.jpg[/img]
[size=5][b]BACKSTORY[/b][/size]

[img]http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/29800000/Discord-is-awesome-when-he-s-dancing-in-the-disco-LOL-discord-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-29837210-500-378.gif[/img]
[size=5][b]PERSONALITY[/b][/size]

[img]http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/160/8/f/queen_chrysalis_in_the_moonlight_by_wojtovix-d52vp4c.jpg[/img]
[b][size=5]MOTIVATION[/size][/b] (I guess)

[img]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/313/1/9/king_sombra_by_lo_23-d5kfuuh.png[/img]
[b][size=5]PRESENCE[/size][/b]

What can we expect next? Maybe one that has all the attributes of an effective villain?

• Replies 31.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sombra COULD have been great, but two episodes wasn't long enough to do everything that this episode needed.

Thing is, right, Discord is easily the most fleshed out of the villains. Nightmare Moon has backstory, but not much personality. Chrysalis had tons of screen time, but not much character besides "I'm a massive b****", and only as a Fake Cadence.

[quote name='Teaching dragon' timestamp='1352764599' post='6067746']
Sweet

So uhh.. What now?

I saw the first page so is dash or shy taken?
[/quote]

Nice to have a new member here~ :DD

EDIT: And nothing really, what ever you think is interesting, but relates to the topic.

[quote name='-Berserker-' timestamp='1352759463' post='6067704']
[media]http://youtu.be/ewpMsy2x75I[/media]
[/quote]

Well that's quite the video. Though that's what we should expect from Mr. Poniator, he can make things that catch me by surprise a whole lot of times

[quote name='Raito-kun' timestamp='1352769270' post='6067816']
Ah I forgot to recall the amount of stairs in this episode. his hilarious vid sums things up:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSLjnz80gK0[/media]
[/quote]

This is going to be ponified soon

>Gravity Man
ALL OF MY YES~

Anyway, a while ago I said I would make Twilight as Saxton Hale.
Idea seemed better in my head:
[img]http://gametechmods.com/uploads/images/38231ScrewGravity.jpg[/img]
Image needs more work, though.
Of course, it [i]IS[/i] still a work-in-progress, and I might scrap it.

Also, 2 quick images I got off KYM just now:
[img]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/435/534/dce.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/435/366/564.png[/img]

Points while rewatching the episode:

"It" has returned:
Little detail, but so much fanfic potential. I can believe Celestia leaving a guard outpost in the middle of the frozen nothing for a thousand years and tell them "I am expecting something to return there, you will know it when you see it".
Or maybe the knowledge of the empire and the mission to watch for it has been passed just around a few number of guards. Maybe some special division or a family. More probably that than giving a guard the Misopethamenos.

The opening is the same as second season. But the first 2 parter of second season had the same intro as season 1, so there is still a chance of it changing this season.

They should get the glass artist who made the Cadence+Shining window to remake the ones with the girls. Or maybe it was made by the same artist, but it was made more realistic because it only had 2 characters and one color, unlike the ones with the girls, that were done in book illustration-style to prevent Equestria's budget from dissapearing.

Few remember the Crystal Empire ever existed at all. Not even Twilight knew about it, but the one who sent the guard to inform Celestia only referred to it as "it". That makes me think about my previous theory about the knowledge and watching the outpost being like a legacy.

The form Sombra uses in the present is what's left after he was defeated. His Gak I mean Smooze form is really powerful, one can only imagine how powerful he was before being defeated (by TWO alicorns, no less).

I like Celestia using that dark magic she calls hatred and fear. That goes well with my headcanon of Celestia, being something like the apex of Harmony in Equestria, is more about balance between everything and less about just order and good emotions. I don't really think Luna is Celestia's "balance".

Something seems to be bothering Luna apart from the obvious. Maybe something related to the next level of Twilight's studies? Random future twist!: It was Celestia and Alicorn!Twilight who defeated Sombra by travelling 1000 years to the past (Celestia never said who defeated him, even if the silouethes seem to belong to her and Luna).

I have this feeling the preview that included this song (and maybe the other) were made first and then the episodes were created to give a context to those scenes. Silly, right? Once again I have to praise the animation. It flows really well. I just hope half of the budget didn't end up there.

Bon Bon is in Canterlot with the blonde timelord from the Gala episode

At least there is a train platform near the place. Some guard outpost would be enough excuse to build a simple station, right?

Can we assume only what we see is the entire empire? Or just the capital (and the rest collapsed after the capital dissapeared)

Twi and Cadance's little dance. The "little shake" part didn't include as much bending as before. Those wanting out-of-context frames are surely dissapointed.

Pinkie Spy. Wearing Fluttershy. Who expected that?

Kingdom of Equestria, ruled by Princesses. Crystal Empire, ruled by a King. Then a Republic has an emperor? Or maybe a Pharaoh...

Cadance's function as a barrier maiden reminded me of the comparison I made back then between the first details revealed about the episodes and the Asgard arc of Saint Seiya.

What's the nature of the crystal ponies? Are they a fourth race, or do unicorns and pegasi also have crystal counterparts? Maybe they are just regular earth ponies with the condition the equestrians had at the end of the episode, but permanent due to living there. Is Sombra a crystal pony? He doesn't seem as, well, crystally as the others, and also is the only one with a horn. An unnatural-looking horn, and fangs. At least we saw what seemed like a pegasus statue near the gryphon statues.

A pony in a petting zoo. Furry confusion anyone?

Silly Twilight, you cannot use those dark powers as if nothing. That HAS to have backlash.

The sound of Twilight's clopping after finding the stairs in the shadow remind me of some videogame sound effect I cannot exactly identify, and a car alarm.

The stairs... The stairs.

The door scene. Spike's fear.

Stairs...

I like the way Fluttershy's hair looks with the helmet.

Why random Berry Punch in the crowd, instead of, let's say, Lyra, who appeared in places like Appleloosa and Cloudsdale?

I hadn't seen Twilight alter gravity since that fanfic The Immortal Game.

The crystal heart was in a place that can be seen from the outside.

Twilight had to swallow her pride to defeat Sombra. No other villain did that, so he is best villain. The froth in Twilight's chocolate was too high anyways.

Sombra sounds like Sub-Zero. Also, I can see a lot of songs coming "ft. King Sombra", kinda like they did with Nigel Thornberry.

Sombra recovered his body for a moment when he was close enough to the Heart. He acted as if he didn't do it on purpose. That gives us an idea of what the crystal can do other than stopping Sombra. He may want it for a reason.

Is Cadence the Crystal princess?

What? No. No. Stahp.

They killed Sombra. Goku's friends were dead, yet he let Vegeta go. He was the most pissed we have ever seen against Freezer, and he let him go. He just played with Cell. He totally killed Majin Boo. Majin Boo was the most threatening villain. Sombra is best villain.

There are some angles I haven't seen before of Celestia's face. Her snout is not as pointy as I imagined.

Celestia the trickster mentor. What a big surprise (sarcasm)

The choreography at the end had some elements of Winter Wrap Up and At the Gala.

Let the wild guessing about that book at the end commence!

Sombra caused a lot of suffering just by being there, without need of tricks, schemes, brainwashing... Best villain.

Did anyone watch Littlest Pet Shop?

[quote name='-Berserker-' timestamp='1352853765' post='6068767']"It" has returned:
Little detail, but so much fanfic potential. I can believe Celestia leaving a guard outpost in the middle of the frozen nothing for a thousand years and tell them "I am expecting something to return there, you will know it when you see it".
Or maybe the knowledge of the empire and the mission to watch for it has been passed just around a few number of guards. Maybe some special division or a family. More probably that than giving a guard the Misopethamenos.[/quote]Maybe they were doing like patrols over the area in the sky or something, just something they might do every now and then.
I dunno.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/TV6ZH.jpg[/img]

[list]
[*]
Celestia and Luna defeated Discord a long time ago, presumably before Sombra took power over the Crystal Empire.
[*]
After defeating Sombra, the empire vanished for "1000" years ([i]Note: There's a good chance that it was gone for more than a 1000 years, probably something like 1002 years. I'm assuming that everyone's rounding down because it's easier to say, and that would also make it fit into the canon[/i]).
[*]
Luna became Nightmare Moon and was also banished for exactly 1000 years.
[/list][color=#000000][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]
Okay, here comes the theory: After Celestia and Luna defeated Sombra, Luna searched for the Crystal heart by herself. What she found was Sombra's cursed door, and it led her to her greatest fear. For her, fear turned into rage and she became Nightmare Moon. This is why Celestia didn't want her to go to the Crystal Empire; she was afraid that she would turn into Nightmare Moon again.[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Mønkey' timestamp='1352873206' post='6069059'][list]
[*]Celestia and Luna defeated Discord a long time ago, presumably before Sombra took power over the Crystal Empire.
[*]After defeating Sombra, the empire vanished for "1000" years ([i]Note: There's a good chance that it was gone for more than a 1000 years, probably something like 1002 years. I'm assuming that everyone's rounding down because it's easier to say, and that would also make it fit into the canon[/i]).
[*]Luna became Nightmare Moon and was also banished for exactly 1000 years.
[/list]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]Okay, here comes the theory: After Celestia and Luna defeated Sombra, Luna searched for the Crystal heart by herself. What she found was Sombra's cursed door, and it led her to her greatest fear. For her, fear turned into rage and she became Nightmare Moon. This is why Celestia didn't want her to go to the Crystal Empire; she was afraid that she would turn into Nightmare Moon again.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Soooo...the Crystal Empire is parallel to canon Skyloft? ....and Season 3 is parallel to Skyward Sword?

Archived