Code Geass Discussion Thread

Code Geass is good not great like a 8.5 out of 10 because it lacks alot of luster found in other serious animes like Death Note. I prefer Death Note because of the darker themes and deep character interaction with very good plays which I was not expecting from Code Geass but I wanted this deeper feeling that I never got.

Character-wise. Its seems all the characters are at most 2-dimensional but most are 1. Explains Suzaku, Mao, and Lelouch are the only note worthy characters because they base they're actions off events that made me ecstatic like *SPOILER* Suzaku after finding Lelouch is Zero he still trys to kill him and turns him in almost remorselessly. I loved that. Or Lelocuh's alternate agenda in the whole series. And Mao's just a total badass. C.C. is predictable to the core and the only when her past came up did she differ a bit. Kallen is a loyal slave super-soldier. Lelouch's Papa is so simplistic it hurts and the dues ex machina in his actions make me laugh at him. Oh that Chinese pilot is pretty awesome though... Point being the character web disappointing me a bit beside that occasional NGE-quality character moment.

Story-wise, I enjoyed it but it seemed at points that the author forced decisions for character in order to keep the ball rolling like the Emperor letting Lelouch live, or C.C. showing up in the nick of time, or Lelouch just god-modding a lot of the series without proper explanation as to how. Series like Death Note each move was explained, calculated, and reasonable with the only kind of forcing I saw was Mello's movements in that 3 day period he didn't know about he could have moved in.

Lelouch v.s. Light. Oh I love this topic, Light is better if only by a bit. Light has given a lesser power with nothing to capitalize on like a war-torn country and he created Kira for his own purposes, which while a little selfish was much more difficult because he lacked that close range, 100% success near flaw-less power. Lelouch moved into Zero because he could and he wanted to defeat his old man which believe it or not Lelouch-lovers, is also selfish. He developed an army and took the fight to the empire. Here's where I get skeptical, it seemed too easy. Each battle was a flawless victory that was either an obvious win or loss, with no deep strategy. Lelouch had no real rival in terms of general-abilities (except the Schizle episode) which makes me doubt his true abilities.

[quote name='Raineā„¢' timestamp='1308805398' post='5304596']
Each battle was a flawless victory that was either an obvious win or loss, with no deep strategy.
[/quote]

I gotta disagree on that one. Nothing was absolutely flawless and most of the time the battles were very chess-like and strategic. Only the first "fight" at the beginning against Clovis was near flawless. Almost every other time something went wrong for both sides in the battles.

Even though I like Code Geass a lot more than Death Note, I can admit that Death Note is a better cat-and-mouse mind game than Code Geass is, as Kira vs L/Light vs Ryuzaki is pretty entertaining. Lelouch did things in a more grandiose fashion, which is just more entertaining to me. Death Note is slightly more realistic.

P.S. I don't know how anyone likes the sadistic psychopath that is Mao. He'd be my most hated character if Nina never existed.

[quote name='ADHD-Guitar' timestamp='1309010134' post='5309532']
Hey guys, I just watched the first season, and I can honestly say that Lelouch is probably the worst protagonist since Light Yagami, possibly even worse.
[/quote]
I probably won't like the answer and have to ask...
What's so bad about Lelouch? Besides the thousands he killed in the way for making a better world... But in the end that is nothing compared to the blood shed if the world was never changed.

[quote name='Mako109' timestamp='1308682051' post='5300715']
Love Code Geass. It's one of my two favs, right next to TTGL.

SPINZAKU ANYONE? : D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ7MVuxnnmM&feature=player_embedded
[/quote]

The Sasuke one gets me everytime. Especially funny because they have the same voice actor. However, @1:40... Suzaku would never do that!

Archived