4Kids Lose Dubbing Rights To Yu-Gi-Oh

Cin

Says it all really, they had a contact to 2015. For hiding extra income related to the Yu-Gi-Oh Franchise, and selling rites to other companies such as Majesco and Funimation. This meant they weren't paying the full 50% that the TvTokyo/Nihon Ad deal meant they should pay.
[url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2011-03-29/tv-tokyo-nihon-ad-terminate-yu-gi-oh-deal-sue-4kids]Here[/url]

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to miss the random segments where the female voiceover tells me a monster's ATK and Level after it was shown a second earlier.

I can settle for 4Kids' bad dubbing of 5D's (the show's not that great anyways.) It would be nice to leave in some of the original soundtrack.

Well, this sucks.

A few things could happen now.

-Yu-Gi-Oh simply isn't released in America anymore. - BAD

-A different company gets it, and then it looses popularity and gets stuck with a DVD only release. - BAD

ie: Funimation's dub. "A trap card? You bastards! Damn, I can't afford to loose any more life points, this sucks!" <-- Won't fly on American TV.

-An even worse company than 4kids gets it, like the people who dub Bakuman. - BAD

So please don't start celebrating like 4kids is the freaking son of Satan.

Appart from maybe the odd bit of swearing, and death (possibly) they don't need to cut alot. Its just getting the scripts to match the lip sync.

I'm only happy because of how people associate YGO with children when that's not the original target audience. It makes some fans embarrassed to say they like the series. Although when you come in my room you can clearly see it (14 volumes and counting of manga, might dig the DVDs out in the future), I wouldn't tell people I know in RL. Its the stigma its been left with because of 4Kids.

I was more annoyed by the changing of the characters personalities more than anything. I didn't mind removal of swearing and covering/editting certain bits they would have deemed too much for children, but when they can get away with the use of the word death in Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist Kingdom and then cut it everytime really since...

[quote name='ADHD-Guitar' timestamp='1301517196' post='5100823']
people who dub Bakuman.
[/quote]

I don't think it's ever been officially dubbed, has it?

Also, FUNimation is out of the question automatically, as they helped 4Kids with their breach of contract here.

[quote name='METALMAXIMAL' timestamp='1301512600' post='5100581']
Man 4kids is really f***ed now maybe now this will be a opportunity to cartoon network and for me that means the official return of toonami i think well maybe but who knows whats now is that 4kids should never deal with professional anime.
[/quote]
Toonami will not certainly return the way it was back then. Why? Well because of parental complaints and such (which is why they had to cut off hours of anime) but Cartoon Network most certainly will have better dubs because it has less censorship then 4kids. Hope they lose DBZ rights too. Then they'll go bankrupt and everybody except 4kids will be happy :D. I wonder how this saturday will turn out.

Archived