=Evangelion='s Guide to Evangelion

[size="6"][color="#4B0082"][b]=Evangelion=’s Guide to Evangelion[/b][/color][/size]

Yay for most original topic title ever in world history.

Now, most people who watch the anime “Neon Genesis Evangelion” perfectly understand the ending in the first movie.

No. Hell no.

Nobody ever does, as far as I know, without help. Complex plot is complex, I’m sure that of a hundred fans, only like, two will actually even slightly know anything connected to the plotline written in Ancient Egyptian. It’s just as confusing as the marks in the “Dead Sea Scrolls” that appear in the end of the “Cruel Angel’s Thesis” OP.

And I found in YouTube an absolutely glorious series of videos that opened up the passage for me towards understanding, well, perhaps not all, but a lot of the plot that nobody ever knows. This doesn’t mean I’m smart or anything, once you get the hold it’s actually quite easy to comprehend.

Due to problems concerning computer time I can only post bits each of it. All were originally in Japanese, so I put my bilingual brain to use by translating. Oh, and for those who don’t know I’m Japanese.

So, the first part begins by deciphering the messages in the names of the characters.

[i]NOTE-Do not open unless you've watched through the Anime (Episodes 1~26) and the first movie, End of Evangelion.[/i]
[spoiler=Scroll 1. Names]
It’s quite known that the last names of the characters are named off things related to ships.

Ikari – Anchor
Rokubungi – Sextant
Soryu – Name of Japanese Battleship
Ayanami – Same
Katsuragi – Same
Kaji – Helm
Keel – Keel (Did I even have to say this?)
Nagisa – Beach

And Ayanami is the only mass production model Battleship in all of Japanese Military history.

But the real problems are in both the last name and the first. The names aren’t randomly chosen, all have a reason.

[b][spoiler=Gendo and the Trinity][/b]

[center][img]http://i3.bebo.com/019a/1/mediuml/2007/07/30/17/4311188791a5132781535ml.jpg[/img]
Badass commander in
Badass pose with
Badass glasses[/center]

Here, only first names matter.

Ikari (formally Rokubungi) Gendo is one of the leaders of the Human Instrumentality Project that seeks the evolution of men into a higher being like God (this is later going to be translated). It seems he was so absorbed in his plans, he decided to name his children after it.

There is a scene where Yui asks him what they will name their child. Gendo replies, “If a boy, Shinji. If a girl, Rei.”

While to the normal eye this scene acted as nothing other than become Rei’s namesake, in truth it’s much more. Shinji and Rei’s names were already chosen, and with reason.

You know of the “Trinity” in Christianity? The “Father”, the “Son”, and the “Holy Spirit” are said to be three parts of the God that was once believed to be a singular being. This is one of the most important parts of the religion. With even one part missing, God cannot hold.

There are three types of writing in Japanese, Kanji, Hiragana and the aforementioned Katakana. Most of the time, since Katakana and Hiragana cannot mean a particular thing on its own, but Kanji can, and Japanese people tend to give names meanings, Kanji is most used in names. For instance, in my case, “Kenta” is “健太”, meaning “Healthy and strong”. If my name was “けんた” that is Hiragana, or “ケンタ” that is Katakana, it cannot have a meaning. However, the names of all Evangelion characters are written in Katakana, and it is leaved to the fans to decide on its Kanji. Since most characters are Japanese their names should be in Kanji, and after thinking of Gendo’s intentions it is natural to think the Kanji for Shinji and Rei are the following:

Shinji – 神児
Rei – 霊

Shinji’s Kanji literally mean “Son of God”. Christians are going to soon get a heart attack.
[spoiler=The terrible truth]
Shinji is, in Gendo’s plans, the incarnate of Jesus.[/spoiler]
Oh whoopedy f***ing doo.
And Rei’s Kanji means either “Ghost” or “Spirit”. While some fans consider this to also mean that Rei is the ghost of the deceased Yui, here she represents the Holy Spirit (called Sei-Rei in Japanese. Sei means holy).

And Gendo is most likely 言動. This means “Words and movement”. Gendo represents these. And the partial God “Father” is thought to be the incarnate of all language or something as said in the first parts of the Gospel of John.

[i]In the beginning was the Word, and Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God.[/i]

Gendo represents the “Father”. And what do we see here?

It is concluded so that [b]Gendo’s plan here was to represent the Trinity inside the Ikari Family, with him as the Father, Shinji the Son, and Rei the Holy Spirit.[/b] If everything went normally, the Ikari family would have most likely made another child, this time a girl so she can be named Rei – however, after Yui’s accidental death, there was no way left for Yui and Gendo to have a daughter, and thus the artificial Rei was created. From what DNA she was made will be later taken upon.

Further evidence comes from how Gendo acted coldly towards Shinji. This represents how the Father created the Son (Jesus) in a poor family, not some aristocrat lineage where he can live more happily. The Father inflicted pain and suffering upon his Son on purpose, to have him grow up as a formal Son of God. It’s the Spartan method. Gendo tried the same on Shinji to reflect this act so his son will grow mentally stronger. However, in the end, due to Shinji having an unstable mind that couldn’t understand Gendo’s true love, it only resulted in him becoming an introversive and suicidal boy with no friends or will to live. This is often known as Gendo’s flaw.
[/spoiler][b][spoiler=Nagisa Kaworu][/b]

渚カヲル, also known as Tabris, the Seventeenth Angel, is without doubt one of the characters that always have a million fan girls. Even after appearance in Episode 24: Saigo No Shisha, he only pops out rarely, but he’s still a key plot device.

The thing about Kaworu-Kun is that he rarely shows his feelings, and so he has many mysteries. But before that, we should probably look into his name.

There’s a gimmick in his first name. “Kaworu” is in Katakana like all the other EVA Names, but here that’s not important. It’s that he wasn’t “Kaoru”, and was “Kaworu”.

wut? What’s the difference? You ask me. Oh, well, point is, Kaoru is an existing name that’s often used. Some friends of mine are named Kaoru. It’s a typical name.

But I’ve never seen a “Kaworu”, there must be some reason for this.

Well, Hiragana is in a particular order like the alphabet, but it goes by a certain law.

A-I-U-E-O
Ka-Ki-Ku-Ke-Ko
Sa-Shi-Su-Se-So
Ta-Chi-Tsu-Te-To
Na-Ni-Nu-Ne-No
Ha-Hi-Hu-He-Ho
Ma-Mi-Mu-Me-Mo
Ya-Yu-Yo
Ra-Ri-Ru-Re-Ro
Wa-Wo-N

You see? They’re in order, save for the Y and W lines. “A-I-U-E-O”. Kaworu is named so he has a hidden message that takes full use of this.

Put all letters of “Ka”, “Wo”, and “Ru” one step behind in the chart. So that I becomes A, Ku becomes Ki, etc… and the message comes out.
[spoiler=Answers]
Ka becomes O. Wo becomes Wa. And Ru becomes Ri. They make “Owari”. This is the secret meaning in Kaworu-Kun’s name. Then what does that mean? [/spoiler]

[b]It means “End”. [/b]

And one thing to note is that [b]Kaworu-Kun’s last name (Nagisa, 渚) can be broken up to make “シ者”.[/b] Since the “Shi” is Katakana we can see two meanings. “Messenger” or “The deceased” fit “Shisha” most, and both apply upon Kaworu-Kun.

Add these together. “End” plus “Messenger” or “the deceased”. Since “Messenger” and “the deceased” aren’t the same thing let’s just use “Shisha” which fits with both. And let’s make “End” “Final”, since that goes more smoothly. What’s “Final” in Japanese? “Saigo No”. Okay, so Kaworu-Kun’s hidden codename is:

[b]Saigo No Shisha. The 24th Episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion.[/b][/spoiler][/spoiler]

More will be later added if Yin doesn't lock this. In the meantime this thread can act as a thread discussing upon the anime.

Archived