I'm starting to think that 4kids isn't as bad as people say...

[quote name='Astro Dude' timestamp='1296180054' post='4967022']
But what about Carly faling out of like a 30 story window?
[/quote]

I repeat - MOST.

The super-ridiculous deaths being censored are fine. The way they handle most of them is not. That one was one of their better censors.

[quote name='Astro Dude' timestamp='1296188319' post='4967345']
Yeah.

Word is that they got the rights to dub an anime called Tai Chi Chasers. What do you think they'll do to it?

Here's the thing for it.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-03-22/4kids-adds-toei-tai-chi-chasers-fantasy-tv-anime
[/quote]
Meh, looks like a pretty mediocre show, so I really don't care. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Astro Dude' timestamp='1296606047' post='4979857']
Well how would you phrase "If you lose, you die", huh?
[/quote]

I like your way. "If you lose, you die" has a nice ring to it.

5Ds actually did okay with the dub in SOME areas. The "sent to the netherworld" is actually a pretty accurate term of what'll happen when you lose (you die, go to hell, aka the netherworld).

I can't forgive them for what they did to Placido, Lucciano, and Jose's names or voices (Lucciano, especially. Oh my god, what did they do the poor guy?) Placido has the best voice of the dub Infinity Trio, but it sounds WAY too "I'm evil", which is not really how Placido is supposed to be portrayed. Rua and Ruka got their dub voices changes or something, and it's painful beyond compare. In the combination of the poor dueling script, the abuse of puns, and their horrible voices (Rua, Ruka AND Lucciano), I couldn't even watch episode 77/78 dub because it was genuinely painful. And they butchered Skiel's summoning. UNFORGIVEABLE!

I actually think they did okay with the Crashtown script, considering all the things they had to censor (guns to people's heads was censored. Other use of guns seemed to be mostly intact). Therefore I was unsurprised to see the last part of Lotten vs Kiryu cut. I think they did a GOOD job cutting that out. Not that I liked it cut, I just think it was segued nicely.

Sometimes the dubs spell out the confusing parts the Japanese didn't cover. I heard that the GX dub actually gave Yubel a motive for corrupting Jaden/Judai, something absent in the original.

While I do understand why 4Kids makes the edits they do I don't understand why they pick shows that they should know will be forced to be edited into oblivion. Again, One Piece is a great example since it's not a show for kids so trying to make it one here, where we already have much tighter censors is an obvious formulae for failure.

Also, I don't get why their is a need to edit blood. I know that is an American thing but I just don't get what is so wrong with having the characters bleed since even 5 year olds know, if your cut you bleed. Also, their choices in coving up death are just stupid. "Sent to the stars"? Really. Their are MANY ways to send the message of people dying without saying you'll die.Hell, Last Airbend had a major theme of the final eps being should Aang kill the fire lord, and it was openly talked about. And this was a series made for kids.

GIANT QUOTEBLOCKS!!!!!!!!!!! BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

[quote name='Astro Dude' timestamp='1296144390' post='4965171']
But you have to admit 4kids makes everything more hilarious. not Bo-bobo hilarious but still trying to keep some drama. Like:

when Randsborg was so scared of Akiza he forgot to use his british accent and talked like a normal guy.
[/quote]
It is especially hilarious because he actually really is British!

...Oh...wait...

[quote name='Taichi Masaki' timestamp='1295411244' post='4944234']
I agree with what is said. People overreacting and telling everybody from 4kids they need to die? Serious? WTF? Not the biggest fans of their dubs, but I'd be lying if I didn't say they made some awesome dub openings songs.
- One Piece Rap (Twisted Charm man, twisted charm)
- Shaman King's OP,
- "I WANNA BE THE VERY BEST!!"
- Yu-Gi-Oh OP's (especially the battle city one.)
- 5d's Hyperdrive
- Kirby song ("I need a monsta' to klobba' dat dere kawrby!")
- Sonic X OP (debatable, but I like).
[/quote]
Let's see I never saw 4Kids One Piece, Shaman King, or Sonic X. I'll acknowledge Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh! to a lesser extent. The later Japanese songs especially were quite good. As for Kirby: Right Back At Ya!...I'll give it to you, but I haven't heard the original. As for 5D's...

BELIEVE IN NEXUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS!!!

...is all I have to say.

Or, if you'd prefer I go into more detail, all of the opening songs that aren't Kizuna. That is: Last Train - New Morning, FREEDOM, BELIEVE IN NEXUS, and Road to Tomorrow ~Going My Way!!~ are all >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Hyper Drive or any of their other opening selections.

[quote name='Mystery Guest' timestamp='1295457694' post='4944782']
Some people call some of 4kids edits unnecessary. I find much of the stuff they cut out unnecessary and 4kids is just uncluttering the show.

Some things in certain shows really go too far and it would make sense to edit them. I mean, do you really expect that 4kids should let "Team Satisfaction" go through? In the Japanese, Kiryu "satisfied" himself by handcuffing himself to his opponents and dueling them into submission. He even said to some of his opponents "Satisfy me."
Those kind of jokes are a bit too sexual for little kids to understand or to be subjected to at TV-Y7 level of television.

[b]Honestly, the Rating Board of Old White Men probably don't have the level of intelligence to comprehend the pun, let alone bratty little children. *steals soda from 12-year-old.*[/b]

To be honest, I only understood some things in the Japanese because the English cleared it up. For example, in the Japanese episode with Garome, Jack was working at some place and a guy was complaining about something white, and Jack said some sort of friendship speech. In the english, it's made clear the guy was complaining about how his shirt has a big hole in it and, rather than make an unnecessary friendship speech, Jack gives the hilarious response of "You said to get rid of the stain and that's exactly what I did!" The rest of the english episode was pretty hilarious.

[b]I...don't remember that. That might have been an episode I skipped.[/b]

4kids does throw a decent amount of funny jokes into their dubs, even though a lot of them aren't that great. Overall, I like it, as long as it gets the point across. The duels, however, are horribly off-script, which can get annoying. It's also annoying that Yusei started using "Get your game on!"

[b]He does?????????[/b]

It's quite fun when 4kids add some non-canon shipping to the show. Yugioh 5D's dub has not only most of the Japanese clips (some people claim certain bits of shipping are specifically in the audio clips of the Japanese rather than in the video) but also has a lot of english-only shipping (examples including Yusei calling Akiza beautiful under her mask, Sayer really pushing the notion of Akiza's crush onto her, there are a few videos on youtube dedicated to YuseiXAkiza shipping evidence in both Japanese and English).
[/quote]

[quote name='burnpsy' timestamp='1296153432' post='4965421']
The only times 4Kids ever made me laugh was at how horrible their dub was.
[/quote]
It is very amusing.

Oh, and why has no one mentioned this gem yet?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUB1Fx4Qm48&feature=related[/media]

[quote name='Dr. Cakey' timestamp='1297903513' post='5013146']Let's see I never saw 4Kids One Piece, Shaman King, or Sonic X. I'll acknowledge Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh! to a lesser extent. The later Japanese songs especially were quite good. As for Kirby: Right Back At Ya!...I'll give it to you, but I haven't heard the original. As for 5D's...

BELIEVE IN NEXUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS!!!

...is all I have to say.

Or, if you'd prefer I go into more detail, all of the opening songs that aren't Kizuna. That is: Last Train - New Morning, FREEDOM, BELIEVE IN NEXUS, and Road to Tomorrow ~Going My Way!!~ are all >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Hyper Drive or any of their other opening selections.
[/quote]

I never said they were better than there Japanese OP counterparts. I just said they were awesome.

[quote name='Flame Dragon' timestamp='1297898910' post='5012933']
While I do understand why 4Kids makes the edits they do I don't understand why they pick shows that they should know will be forced to be edited into oblivion. Again, One Piece is a great example since it's not a show for kids so trying to make it one here, where we already have much tighter censors is an obvious formulae for failure.

Also, I don't get why their is a need to edit blood. I know that is an American thing but I just don't get what is so wrong with having the characters bleed since even 5 year olds know, if your cut you bleed. Also, their choices in coving up death are just stupid. "Sent to the stars"? Really. Their are MANY ways to send the message of people dying without saying you'll die.Hell, Last Airbend had a major theme of the final eps being should Aang kill the fire lord, and it was openly talked about. And this was a series made for kids.
[/quote]
There is a general bias against anime on American Tv. If you notice, on other shows, they're allowed to say "die" or "death." On anime, not a chance.

I've also noticed that anime typically get higher ratings than American shows. ie: FMA Brotherhood has occasionally received a TV-MA rating, Family Guy always gets a TV-14. Which do you think is less appropriate for children? :|

Tidbits: Marc Thompson was the QB in the MTV show Daria, Lisa Ortiz was in an early 90's slice of life show called Fifteen or was it Hillside, Ronnie Taylor had some live leads in some Soap Operas.

When did J Griff sing the National Anthem?

Ortiz can really portray her characters well and not just 4kids:
Maetel, Shiori Takatsuki, Mikiko Oguro, and Lina Inverse are good examples.

Archived