I'm starting to think that 4kids isn't as bad as people say...

I mean really, they had a few horrible mess ups like One Piece, and to a degree, Yu-gi-oh GX, but are their dubs really that bad? Aside from the blatant unneeded censorship of the plot, the voice acting isn't as horrible as we like to think. Sure 4kids sucks at dubbing anime, but do they really suck to the point that they all deserve to die? (Which many 4kids haters have claimed.)

Also, while certain elements of censorship are a little overboard, like removing references to death, changing the plot ect. I find it a little immature to complain about the lack of cursing/blood ect.

Sure, I would prefer it without the scenes digitally edited to make them less violent, but guess what? We have different standards here! Oh yeah, One Piece is in fact a show for kids. (It was in Japan, it is here.) And the language, errr... 4kids never actually removed cursing from the shows, since there really is no English dialogue present, and Japanese "swearing" cannot be correctly compared to it's English equivalent.

Sooooooo.... yeah... [/rant]

[quote name='ADHD-Guitar' timestamp='1295387673' post='4943376']
I mean really, they had a few horrible mess ups like One Piece, and to a degree, Yu-gi-oh GX, but are their dubs really that bad? Aside from the blatant unneeded censorship of the plot, the voice acting isn't as horrible as we like to think. Sure 4kids sucks at dubbing anime, but do they really suck to the point that they all deserve to die? (Which many 4kids haters have claimed.)[/quote]

Anybody who says any group needs to die is a little unnecessary, but yes. The dubs ARE bad. Like you said One Piece was butchered, un-needed censorship and edits which more often than not ruined the plot of the show making it confusing or unwatchable. The voice acting by VA standards is terrible except for 4-8 actors I can name who debuted on 4kids but have moved on to better companies. Also the actors that WERE good were subjected to terrible scripts done by people who tried to make it kid-friendly(600 puns and jokes a minute. Even during serious scenes.) Imagine watching an episode of yugioh where a character died and someone said "I CARD believe he's dead."

[quotes]Also, while certain elements of censorship are a little overboard, like removing references to death, changing the plot ect. I find it a little immature to complain about the lack of cursing/blood ect.[/quote]

Maybe people went about it wrong, but the reason it's complained not because we need blood/death but 4kids pride itself in being a children localizer. If they are as such, than stick to children shows. Getting shows that are too mature for kids and than removing blood and violence just doesn't make sense. Also a lot of the blood can be necessary(while yes it is more aesthetic and I'm creepy because I enjoy shows with realistic or Grotius amount of blood.) Some show blood is important to the story, character, or for us the viewers to realize the state the character is in.

[quote]Sure, I would prefer it without the scenes digitally edited to make them less violent, but guess what? We have different standards here! Oh yeah, One Piece is in fact a show for kids. (It was in Japan, it is here.)[/quote]

One Piece in Japan is rated the equivelant of TV-16+ here. It's timezone was usually new episodes Thursday 10:30 PM. I dunno what it is now thought.

[quote]And the language, errr... 4kids never actually removed cursing from the shows, since there really is no English dialogue present, and Japanese "swearing" cannot be correctly compared to it's English equivalent.

Sooooooo.... yeah... [/rant]
[/quote]

This...I kind of agree. One Piece was never big on cursing(nudity and blood yes however). There are only one-two characters(franky) that had verbal cursing(insulting) tics. Also Luffy tends to be very harsh when it involves his friend. However they did something worse which is pretty much rewrite the entire script with puns, unrelated notions, and plot-hole makers.

(This is all regarding to 4kids prior to 2 years ago since I have no memory of anything they made afterwards. I assume they were dead).

The only thing I like about 4kids is Mike Pollock, voice of Dr. Eggman. I'm glad SEGA kept him.

And I usually don't hate the voices. It's just the crappy editing.
[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_A8aI5SM36lg/S6OLYOJPgUI/AAAAAAAAAB4/uyNzvq0wUzE/s1600/helmeppogun.jpg[/img]
Like seriously, WTF is that supposed to be?

Although this one made me really lawl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIB_U2heOlA

I agree with what is said. People overreacting and telling everybody from 4kids they need to die? Serious? WTF? Not the biggest fans of their dubs, but I'd be lying if I didn't say they made some awesome dub openings songs.
- One Piece Rap (Twisted Charm man, twisted charm)
- Shaman King's OP,
- "I WANNA BE THE VERY BEST!!"
- Yu-Gi-Oh OP's (especially the battle city one.)
- 5d's Hyperdrive
- Kirby song ("I need a monsta' to klobba' dat dere kawrby!")
- Sonic X OP (debatable, but I like).

Well, the best credit I can give is that "We Ride to Survive" was actually pretty awesome, and I would not have minded that as the theme for the 5D's dub, but even then they didn't go with that.

Well, the best credit I can give is that "We Ride to Survive" was actually pretty awesome, and I would not have minded that as the theme for the 5D's dub, but even then they didn't go with that.

Then again, without the first opening of Pokémon, Powerglove never would have made their amazing cover with Tony Kayko.

One time while I traveled abroad, I found out that in Spanish speaking countries, they dubbed The Simpsons. I found the translations to be mediocre at best, however I didn't rage hardcore and wish the dubbers death just because I know had the knowledge that people in other countries felt enjoyment for a similar thing I did.

Ya'll need to stop taking them Japanese cartoons so seriously. Just because another version of it exists somewhere doesn't mean you have to enjoy your shows less.

[quote name='PikaPerson01' timestamp='1295419367' post='4944359']
One time while I traveled abroad, I found out that in Spanish speaking countries, they dubbed The Simpsons. I found the translations to be mediocre at best, however I didn't rage hardcore and wish the dubbers death just because I know had the knowledge that people in other countries felt enjoyment for a similar thing I did.

Ya'll need to stop taking them Japanese cartoons so seriously. Just because another version of it exists somewhere doesn't mean you have to enjoy your shows less.
[/quote]

it is not the problem of there is dubbing. I love dubs and there are a lot of good ones. Trigun, Cowboy Beebop(even the original creator prefers the english one over Japanese), Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic, Code Geass, Eureka 7(for the most parts), Funimation One Piece(for the most part), Detective Conan, Lupin the III, Fooly Cooly, and Gantz(shame the anime sucked.)

It's the problem of a dubbing being really bad or they do something outrageous. You say stop taking it seriously but it's like imagine if you were playing a video game and they have a high pitched voice for a serious character. Or if they brought Inception to another country than changed the scenes around to make a story that makes no sense.

4kids don't localize animes. They pretty much change about everything in whatever they get licensing too.

Thought, the songs they have created for a lot of shows are really damn catchy...

I stopped watching 4kids product other than Yugioh 5D's, but that's only because the other yugioh series were outdated and pokemon just started sucking when they got to more and more pokemon and completely forgot about the GS ball). For my cases, I'll use yugioh 5D's, naturally.

Some people call some of 4kids edits unnecessary. I find much of the stuff they cut out unnecessary and 4kids is just uncluttering the show.

Some things in certain shows really go too far and it would make sense to edit them. I mean, do you really expect that 4kids should let "Team Satisfaction" go through? In the Japanese, Kiryu "satisfied" himself by handcuffing himself to his opponents and dueling them into submission. He even said to some of his opponents "Satisfy me."
Those kind of jokes are a bit too sexual for little kids to understand or to be subjected to at TV-Y7 level of television.

To be honest, I only understood some things in the Japanese because the English cleared it up. For example, in the Japanese episode with Garome, Jack was working at some place and a guy was complaining about something white, and Jack said some sort of friendship speech. In the english, it's made clear the guy was complaining about how his shirt has a big hole in it and, rather than make an unnecessary friendship speech, Jack gives the hilarious response of "You said to get rid of the stain and that's exactly what I did!" The rest of the english episode was pretty hilarious.

4kids does throw a decent amount of funny jokes into their dubs, even though a lot of them aren't that great. Overall, I like it, as long as it gets the point across. The duels, however, are horribly off-script, which can get annoying. It's also annoying that Yusei started using "Get your game on!"

It's quite fun when 4kids add some non-canon shipping to the show. Yugioh 5D's dub has not only most of the Japanese clips (some people claim certain bits of shipping are specifically in the audio clips of the Japanese rather than in the video) but also has a lot of english-only shipping (examples including Yusei calling Akiza beautiful under her mask, Sayer really pushing the notion of Akiza's crush onto her, there are a few videos on youtube dedicated to YuseiXAkiza shipping evidence in both Japanese and English).

There are a few other things that kinda piss me off (such as many cases of the substitution of death, though some are okay, and how the last part of the duel Kiryu vs. Lotten was taken out and replaced with an anticlimactic ending, etc.), but I can see past many of them.

Overall, I like 4kids dub. The Japanese is better because of the stupid flaws in the dub, but if they corrected the dueling things and tried not to put so many jokes in and didn't put in so many inaccurate substitutions, I'd probably like the two about the same.

[quote name='Mystery Guest' timestamp='1295457694' post='4944782']
pokemon just started sucking when they got to more and more pokemon and completely forgot about the GS ball
[/quote]

OBJECTION!

[list=1]
[*]Fans of the series will usually tell you that the addition of new Pokemon makes things more refreshing after 5 years of the same stuff, especially in competetive play.
[*]The license for it was taken from them in the middle of Battle Frontier.
[*]An interview revealed that the GS ball was supposed to be Celebi, but they dropped it when Celebi was given a major movie role. In their words "we just assumed people would eventually forget about it."
[/list]

Well my fave va's from 4kids are some female some male. These include:

Veronica Taylor (Ash Ketchum, Max, Clawdia, Carly Carmine)
Kerry Williams (Tiff, Rebecca Hawkins)
Bella Hudson (Camula, Akiza, Bridget Verdant)
Mike Pollock (Dr. Eggman, Meat)
Eric Stuart (Brock, Seto Kaiba, Randsborg, Bastion Misawa)
Dan Green (Yugi Muto, Knuckles, Trudge)
Rebecca Soler (Misty Tredwell, Reanne)
Sean Schmell (Grieger)
Tara Sands (Mokuba, Anna, Chase)
Sebastian Arcelus (Yoh, Rex)
Kether Donahue (Zoey, Kikki)
Ed Paul (King Dedede, Jack Atlas, Bakura)
Sam Reigel (Arkana, Faust)
Megan Hollingshead (Mai Valentine, Nurse Joy)
Rachael Lillis (Misty, Reese)
Marc Thompson (Kid Muscle, Roman Goodwin)
Andrew Rannels (Mako, Nicholai)
Caren Manuel (Rouge)
Jason Griffith (Primo, Sonic, Atticus)
Priscilla Everett (Alexis, Akiza's mom)
Wayne Grayson (Bolt Tanner, Joey Wheeler)
and of course my most favorite:

[size="7"]LISA ORTIZ[/size] (Barb, Coco Chanel, Mindy, Yasmin, Serenity Wheller, Patty, Sabrina, Flannery, Jun Tao, Lily, Roxanne, Lovely, Amy Rose)

Impressive list huh?

[quote name='Astro Dude' timestamp='1295473805' post='4945183']
Well my fave va's from 4kids are some female some male. These include:

Veronica Taylor (Ash Ketchum, Max, Clawdia, Carly Carmine)
Kerry Williams (Tiff, Rebecca Hawkins)
Bella Hudson (Camula, Akiza, Bridget Verdant)
Mike Pollock (Dr. Eggman, Meat)
Eric Stuart (Brock, Seto Kaiba, Randsborg, Bastion Misawa)
Dan Green (Yugi Muto, Knuckles, Trudge)
Rebecca Soler (Misty Tredwell, Reanne)
Sean Schmell (Grieger)
Tara Sands (Mokuba, Anna, Chase)
Sebastian Arcelus (Yoh, Rex)
Kether Donahue (Zoey, Kikki)
Ed Paul (King Dedede, Jack Atlas, Bakura)
Sam Reigel (Arkana, Faust)
Megan Hollingshead (Mai Valentine, Nurse Joy)
Rachael Lillis (Misty, Reese)
Marc Thompson (Kid Muscle, Roman Goodwin)
Andrew Rannels (Mako, Nicholai)
Caren Manuel (Rouge)
Jason Griffith (Primo, Sonic, Atticus)
Priscilla Everett (Alexis, Akiza's mom)
Wayne Grayson (Bolt Tanner, Joey Wheeler)
and of course my most favorite:

[size="7"]LISA ORTIZ[/size] (Barb, Coco Chanel, Mindy, Yasmin, Serenity Wheller, Patty, Sabrina, Flannery, Jun Tao, Lily, Roxanne, Lovely, Amy Rose)

Impressive list huh?
[/quote]

All I heard was Dan Green and Lisa Ortiz, the rest don't mean much to me. Also, Lisa Ortiz has been around before 4kids. *Throws Slayers DVDs at Astro Dude and points to original date.*

Anyways, 4kids does have a good amount of good voice actors, but the scripts on most shows are just bad.

Pokemon though, Pokemon was amazing. (You know, aside from the rice-ball/doughnut incident.)

Taylor was Ash in pokemon, and I nominated Slayers for the YCM anime awards. AND I HAVE THE ORIGINAL SLAYERS ON DVD ANYWAY! 1996 right? as well as Next and Try.

Some fun facts about the 4kids va's:

Tara Sands worked on Generator Rex (Cartoon Network), Lisa was in an early 90's live action show called "Hillside", Soler worked on an anime called Outlanders whose genre is unconfirmed, Taylor provided the voices for 8 different characters which spawned from one character (different tones).

I also saw animes involving these va's:

Maetel Legend, Seven of Seven, Samurai Deeper Kyo (DG's darker side), Animation Runner Kuromi, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Outlanders 20th anniversary edition, Legend of Himiko, Ikki Tousen season 2, Queen's Blade, Some even worked on Pokemon even after 4kids dropped the license.

So ADHD, I take it you're a fan of the Danny and Lisa huh?

The list also had characters that were voiced by them.

Maetel Legend was a story filled with sorrow.
Kyo had a lot of swearing.
Utena (Movie or series, you decide)
Seven of Seven (Taylor's best work)

Characters these guys voiced are Nana (Taylor[all 8]), Battia (Soler), Kaku Bunwa (Ortiz).

I Can't wait till episode 145 of 5d's, How are they going to ruin the scene where *SPOILERS*:

[spoiler='...']Antinomy Dies[/spoiler]

They'll send him to the "Underworld" or some crap like that.

What exactly is the "Underworld" in 5d's anyways? There would be nothing there...The Earthbound Immortals are destroyed...Scar-Red Nova is in a card...So what???

But you have to admit 4kids makes everything more hilarious. not Bo-bobo hilarious but still trying to keep some drama. Like:

Jack: I only raise my hand to a woman if she raises hers to a child.

or:

Ash: Stop it!
Shauna: YOU STOP!

or:

Misty: AND YOU CALL ME CHICKEN! YOU'RE A TOTAL COWARD!
Ash: Maybe not a total coward.

or:

when Randsborg was so scared of Akiza he forgot to use his british accent and talked like a normal guy.

Or:

DD van D:That's because he has no ears!
Meat: Tell that to him.

But you get the idea.

[quote name='Astro Dude' timestamp='1296144390' post='4965171']
But you have to admit 4kids makes everything more hilarious. not Bo-bobo hilarious but still trying to keep some drama.
[/quote]

The only times 4Kids ever made me laugh was at how horrible their dub was.

[quote name='Astro Dude' timestamp='1296163838' post='4965839']
They even gave Kirby a tv series after having a video game franchise for more than 10 years.
[/quote]

They only dubbed it.

And 4Kids made some stupid Pokemon edits. Remember the rolling sandwich? Arbok evolves into Seviper?

[quote name='Astro Dude' timestamp='1296178594' post='4966938']
Arbok does not evolve into Seviper. Jessie released Arbok, beat up a Seviper with her own two hands and then caught it.
[/quote]

You're denser than I thought. I was referring to this:

[center]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ry3riB4jh8[/center]

And most of their edits are 100% unnecessary. Few people complain about the blood removal, FCC regulations and all that.

Archived