Neon Genesis Evangelion

Well, I've watched the whole series, and I was pretty amazed by its utter awesomeness.
If you want a really summed up version, just watch this video based on its OP, the Cruel Angel's Thesis. This video urged me to watch the anime too, so I decided to do so. If you look through, a good eye will spot my "photo" inside. In fact, I got them from here.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kFhPVAhV_o&feature=related[/youtube]

Some parts of the series are a bit ero-gro. Particulary episodes 18 and 20 with the Movie, I believe, are gory or sexually oriented, so according to adults you shouldn't watch it till 15. Of course, no one listens, right?

Anyhow, discuss on Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I rather liked it, though I didn't think it lived up to its full hype... though given how much hype it has, nothing could. What really confused me was how much hate Shinji gets as a character, since I thought he was an excellent protagonist.

I was really underwhelmed by Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone, though. One of the strengths of the series is that for at least the first two-thirds of it the characters' problems are clearly present but are deliberately understated, but the movie has Shinji in blatant full-blown emo state throughout, and it takes place entirely before Asuka even shows up. Yes, if Shinji had acted like that in the series, I would have found him whiny and annoying; the series was good because he wasn't like that.

[quote name='Crab Helmet' timestamp='1288393681' post='4747906']
What really confused me was how much hate Shinji gets as a character, since I thought he was an excellent protagonist.
[/quote]
I quite agree. He's a really typical 14-year-old in character, and he becomes closer to you.

Of course most people wouldn't *censored* instantly when you see a naked girl, but overall he's normal.

[quote name='Crab Helmet' timestamp='1288393681' post='4747906']
I rather liked it, though I didn't think it lived up to its full hype... though given how much hype it has, nothing could. What really confused me was how much hate Shinji gets as a character, since I thought he was an excellent protagonist.

I was really underwhelmed by Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone, though. One of the strengths of the series is that for at least the first two-thirds of it the characters' problems are clearly present but are deliberately understated, but the movie has Shinji in blatant full-blown emo state throughout, and it takes place entirely before Asuka even shows up. Yes, if Shinji had acted like that in the series, I would have found him whiny and annoying; the series was good because he wasn't like that.
[/quote]

In that case, I may actually watch the series. I rented that movie and FREAKING HATED Shinji's constant bitching.

[quote name='ADHD-Guitar' timestamp='1288570409' post='4753593']
In that case, I may actually watch the series. I rented that movie and FREAKING HATED Shinji's constant bitching.
[/quote]
Through most of the series, Shinji actually has the opposite characteristic; far from whining too much, Shinji has a tendency to respond to most things with a simple "Hai" of agreement. He does tend to apologize too much, but there's an interesting twist on it: the point where things get really bad for Shinji is the point where he [i]stops[/i] apologizing, since he just doesn't care anymore.

I watched it alongside Gurren Lagann last year, 1 ep of each every day. For a while, GL was my favorite of the two, and I just kept watching Eva because of its rave reviews... and then I hit the really serious third and loved it all. And then I came to the Rebuild movies, entering knowing that much of each character would be edited or removed. The first one moved faster than the first few episodes, I'll say, but then the last sequence made me understand HOW different this series would be from the first, what with all the transforming laser-firing bloody diamonds of absolute death and whatnot.

And then when I hit the second movie, I thought nothing of Mari, the new gal, and was okay with Asuka's name change for one good reason: SHE IS NOT A b**** ANYMORE!! Really, she wasn't THAT terrible in the series, but in this version, I actually LIKE her! My gosh! And then she's getting an EYEPATCH?! That doesn't really mean much of anything, but who cares. I'm STILL anticipating Q: Quickening wayyyyyy too much for my own good, thanks to learning of Kaworu's extended role, the odd signs placed here and there in the sceneries, and the "GIVE AYANAMI BACK!!" scene.

Also I always thought Shinji was cool, I didn't hate him. Yeah, it's probably because I apologize too much to people as well, but still, he was semi-believable. I got to invest some audience participation points into him! And then feel terrible over the complete breakdown of End! WOOO

• 3 weeks later...

Archived