The Return of Dragon Ball

[quote=Article]Crank up the Bleeding Cool servers folks. This morning we received word that Shueisha Publishing Company of Tokyo has convinced legendary manga creator Akira Toriyama to come back and restart the Dragon Ball comics franchise.

Dragon Ball (also known as Dragon Ball Z) is one of the most lucrative comic book franchises in the world. Initially serialised from 19984 to 1995 in Shonen Jump, it has spun off successful animated TV series and films. It has sold well over 150 million copies of the collected volumes. But since then, the creator has only returned to the well for comics once, for a one-off crossover with One Piece. His other works have been shorter, more personal pieces, though he has continues to oversee new animations, and his studio are working on a Dragon Ball Online MMORG for release soon.

And it’s in that environment that Akira Toriyama has been persuaed to return to creating new chapters. Partly to help promote the game, partly to earn the boat load of cash he has been promised.

Something that will make this event even more spectacular is a simultaneous fully translated worldwide launch of the new book.

The manga industry needs a boost right now. Can you think or any better way?[/quote]

Source: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/10/25/the-return-of-dragon-ball/

Your thoughts?

[quote name='~Soulciety~' timestamp='1288081711' post='4738490']
what u liked gt??
[/quote]

I certainly didn't hate it. Sometimes I think people blow things out of proportion when they say it was a complete catastrophe/disaster/etc knowing well enough that if everything stayed the same but it all had Toriyama's name on it, they wouldn't be saying such. (Not saying any one specifically, just generalizing is all.)

my dissapointments are to do with the writing and the way it was done, not the writer i dont even know the original creator was (yea i just found out from your comment) my problems were such:

1) No background story on the black star dragonballs,
2) Trunks went into space instead of Vegeta (willing to discuss dissapointments about this)
3) vegeta had virtually no screen time
4) The Super 17 Saga, ew uncreative and 7 episodes in total wasn't interesting in the slightest not to mention his opdness being exploited dramatically
5) No Gotenks
6) Gohan is weak as hell
7) Goku often driving out battles for longer then needed when he could have ended them by going SSJ
8) The Vegeta and Goku rivalry had virtually ended

Some good things hwoever:

1) Baby was an interesting villain and enjoyable to watch also his persona was nice and different
2) vegeta absorbed by baby (although this could have been done better)
3) Shadow dragons saga was interesting but could have gone for a bit longer
4) SSJ 4 looked goodand with upgraded moves

The weaknesses outweigh the positives in my opinion

Archived