Why do these Characers exist?

Blake

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chibiusa/Rini/Sailor Chibi (Mini) Moon/little Usagi from Sailor Moon is THE most annoying character I have ever seen. I know she added another dimension to the story line (and I mean this literally since she is from the future), but if she really had to be included, she really needed to be less annoying. She is heavily criticized, especially by fans of the English dub.

Here is the video of the first part of the first episode she is in (start at 1:35).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajoYxIaaI7Q

If you don't want to watch it, here's a brief recount of the first part (I will use the Japanese names).

Story (original Japanese because she is more annoying in the original, I think)...

Usagi and Mamoru are on a date in the park. They are kissing when a 6-year-old girl falls from the sky, nailing Usagi and knocking her to the ground while also causing Mamoru to fall over with the little girl on top of him and kissing him (since she landed in the same position that Usagi had been). Usagi asks the girl where she came from and tells her to lay off her boyfriend. The little girl says her name is Usagi (I will refer to her as Chibiusa from now on to avoid confusion), gets up, and demands to know what the older Usagi's name is and why they have the same hairstyle. Usagi stands up and says her hairstyle is supposed to be her's - Usagi Tsukino's - and no one else's. Realizing she has found whom she is looking for, Chibiusa then pulls out a gun and holds it to Usagi's head, demanding Usagi to hand over the Silver Crystal (a crystal with amazing power that could be used to destroy the world were it to fall in the wrong hands). Naturally, Usagi tries to play dumb, saying she has never heard of the Silver Crystal, but Chibiusa knows better and, realizing Usagi won't cooperate, proceeds to fire. Mamoru rushes over to Usagi, finding her stunned on the ground with a flower, attached to a suction cup, on Usagi's forehead. He realizes the gun was merely a toy, but when he turns to find Chibiusa, she's gone.

There's a little more in the video, but this is her introductory scene for those of you who don't know Chibiusa.

I guess what I'm saying is that they either needed to make Chibiusa a LOT less annoying, or come up with a different storyline.

Honestly, for most of this season, she does absolutely nothing. Plus, when she cries, she emits a giant beam of light that the enemy can see and use to track her, so Usagi has to be careful not to upset Chibusa, or they'll end up in another fight. The only time she is ever useful is at the end of this season when they fight the bad guy, who uses the Black Crystal. The Black Crystal is stronger than Sailor Moon's (Usagi's) Silver Crystal, so Sailor Moon begins to lose the fight. Chibiusa randomly realizes she accidentally put the future Silver Crystal in her body before coming to the present, so she calls on her Silver Crystal and Silver Crystal x2 > Black Crystal.

In the next season, she becomes Sailor Chibi Moon. However, her only "power" is pulling out a little pink wand that annoys enemies by shooting them in the face repeatedly (in one episode, I think it was in the butt).

In the following season, Chibusa acts as a gateway for Helios (Pegasus) to leave the dream world and help fight the bad girls. This may have been important, but I think they could have used a different character for this. IMO, they should have used Sailor Saturn (who is WAY better).

The beginning of the last season was really a continuation of the previous one. Towards the end of the storyline, Mamoru was trapped by a spell, which altered the future and caused Chibiusa to disappear. However, (of course) the good girls won, the spell broke and Chibiusa reappeared. After that storyline wrapped up, Chibiusa went back to the future and was never seen in person again.

I suppose I'm really going for "Why does this character exist the way she does?" In other words, she would have been fine if 1. she were more helpful and 2. she were less annoying.

Archived