Just finished reading Bokurano. It's awesome.

Seriously, this is the best Super Robot series ever - it even manages to top Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann in terms of hot-blooded awesomeness. I must admit, I was a little skeptical of Waku (the main character) at first, just because he started out being a bit too generic as a shounen lead, but that skepticism vanished when I saw how awesome he was when he won the first battle by TAKING HIS ROBOT'S ARM THAT HAD BEEN PREVIOUSLY RIPPED OFF AND KICKING IT RIGHT AT THE ENEMY'S FACE, MAKING IT EXPLODE. THERE IS NOTHING MORE AWESOME THAN THAT. AND HE JUST BECOMES EVEN MORE AWESOME FROM THERE. The other pilots get some turns and character focus, but fortunately WAKU is always there to take over and do something awesome.

Basically, the premise is this: Some kids are at the beach when they go into a cave and meet Yami Yugi some guy who tells them that it's game time. So he brings them to a Super Robot that is armed with an endless supply of laser beams and shows them how to use it to fight off evil monster robots attacking the planet. Then he goes away and leaves WAKU in charge of the robot for the first real battle. Cue an endless chain of awesomeness.

Seriously, you guys have got to read this series. (The anime is different and inferior, so go with the manga.) I cannot even begin to describe just how epic it is, especially when it gets to the final battle.

Guest Supreme Gamesmaster

IDK; I thought Moji's fight was better than Dung Beetle's, seeing as he went out honorably. It was nice that Dung Beetle finally learned to tell the truth, though. Makie's fight was also quite awesome, though in a more literal sense; the reinterpretation of the mecha was clever.

Waku was made quite a bit more bearable after his fight, methinks. His impact on later fights is debatable, I suppose.

Chizu's arc is notable for compressing the essence of the manga into one chapter; if you read only two arcs, make them Waku's and Chizu's.

I read the first couple of chapters and I'm not that impressed.

I have to admit, the robots do like goddamn awesome and Dung Beetle gives me a feeling that he'll be win.

EDIT: Nevermind, funking win manga. The fact that Dung treats everything as if it were a 'game' only makes it better.

It should be noted that this manga is slightly more optimistic than Kitoh's other manga, Naru Taru (Shadow Star in English). However, seeing as it's very difficult to procure Naru Taru translations, Bokurano can give you an idea of Naru Taru's tone.

More epic then Gurren Lagann!!!!!??

*Looks up Bokurano*

I personally think it's a different sort of epic.

Ah, I also like Isao Kako. He was a very interesting exploration of how one character might motivate another, and he also helped a lot in making Chizu's battle more epic.

Not fond of Kirie, though, I have to say.

Moji's is quite refreshing, methinks, and it dragged the most emotional torque out of me. His battle is truly unlike any other in the series, though the tactics don't differ all that much (unless that was the one where he ejected the cockpit onto the enemy's head and the military finished it off.)

Moji's is quite refreshing' date=' methinks, and it dragged the most emotional torque out of me. His battle is truly unlike any other in the series, though the tactics don't differ all that much (unless that was the one where he ejected the cockpit onto the enemy's head and the military finished it off.)

Indeed it was.

I can't believe I forgot to say this.

The anime's OP, Uninstall, is made of win.

The full version is better.

And then Masaaki Endoh covered it.

It was as epic as you might expect.

Archived