Pokemon movie 12: Arceus and the Jewel of Life

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh so true' date=' this seems to be a never ending franchise. But don't they follow a manga? I mean the amount of fillers they have is rediculous, but I think if they follow the manga story line, the show would be good. (Most successful mangas are good.)

[/quote']

Pokemon does -Not- follow a Manga. There are several Pokemon mangas, most of them very good (several times better than the show, at any rate), but none of them were the basis for the show. Actually, the show was the basis for a good chunk of the Mangas.

The anime was never that great. The first season was probably the pinnacle for no other reason than most of the episodes had some sort of significance one way or another (A pokemon was captured, badge was obtained or reoccuring character was introduced), with a minimum of filler in between. It had nothing to do with actual episode quality, just the fact they hadn't been running so long that they had to drag things out too long.

As for the movies... eh... I didn't watch most of them. From the ones I recall, the earlier movies were pretty good as they at least had some novel ideas (though 2000 was quite painful...), I liked 4 a lot more than I thought I would have, and three gets props for showing off the Unown as essentially Cosmic Horrors.

Since then, the movies have varied in quality. The Deoxys one I remember wasn't TOO bad (though I wathced it in subtitled Japanese, so...), though I was rather bored through the Jirachi one... probably won't watch the Arceus movie, but eh.

Until the series stop making them $ they wont stop' date=' Nintendo and Game Freak are more concerned with revenue than storlines among series, since Pokemon is one of their #1 selling game series, the likelyhood it will end just because the Alpha Pokemon was created means nothing, plus mabye the next games will be more atune to RBY with no legendaries making an impact on the story line?

[/quote']

Perhaps. Some theorise that the 'dark' Ash seen in the 13th movie trailer points to a mirror universe/tainted future story/games in Gen V featuring Arceus' antithesis.

Also, they'll remake Ruby and Sapphire before long, but after the Gen V main games.

But don't they follow a manga?

It started as a manga' date=' but the anime is not based on it. The manga follows protaganists named after the games, so Red (Ash's counterpart), Blue (Gary's counterpart), Green (proposed female avatar in RBY) and Yellow are the first heroes. Most of the backstories are different as well. Platinum (Dawn's counterpart) for example, is the daughter of a wealthy count.

Also, in the main manga, the characters, events and mechanics are [i']very[/i] different. Pokemon battling is much more violent since the trainer is an fair target, instead of seizing Silph Co. to get the Master Ball, Team Rocket uses it to fuse the legendary birds into one super-creature. Also, Red's Eevee, due to a failed experiment, could switch between its first three evolved forms before becoming stuck as an Espeon.

And the main manga is actually quite short since it keeps to the point, like the original series. It's only in the Hoenn and Sinnoh arcs that the series has stagnated (because of breaks for filler and fanservice).

Also' date=' why do the movies ALWAYS have to be based on a legendary? I think everyone's gotten quite sick of seeing a legendary thats so strong but weak for some reason. Can't they just make a movie about regular pokemon???

[/quote']

Because it's easy is the simple answer. To make a movie about a Torkoal is almost impossible. Making a god vs. god smash-em-up featuring the Dragon Gods is much easier since you can add lengthy backstory and action scenes, filling time.

[spoiler=Pokemon Movie Critism/Rant]

Overall, the first movie was good, but only in Japanese; 4Kids butchered it. "2000" and "Unown" were alright, but it gets boring to see Ash as the savior of mankind. "Celebi" was awful, except for the time travel.

"Heroes" could have been a special episode; the plot was so thin. And since when can a Latios be downed by a String Shot?! "Jirachi" was saved by the evil Groudon, which should have been revisited.

"Deoxys" was better than the ones before, but it had the same 'villian-is-actually-confused' plot ended in Rayquaza (god of the sky) being defeated by a load of boxes. "Lucario" was a generic awful movie (which is canocal) that re-visited everything seen before. (Including Ash having magical powers...)

Don't get me started on "Manaphy and the Shipping Temple"- sorry, "Sea Temple". Advanceshippers were in paradise, everyone else questioned Nintendo's motives.

"Dvs.Pvs.D" again had the 'villian-is-not-actually-a-villian' rote, but at least this time, the protagonists couldn't do much to stop the destruction. "Giratina" was yet another 'madman-wants-to-take-over-the-world' idea and the only saving grace was the awesome sky base (which would not be able to stay aloft) and the starship.

Arceus, a god who is not all-knowing, all-loving, all-seeing or, in fact, very smart. Right... And voiced in the English dub by someone who obviously smokes. In Japanese, he had the voice of an old man (which was fine); why didn't they cast Dan Green in Arceus' role?

And since "Arceus and the Jewel of Life" seemed too like a fan-fic to be true (see also: "Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie: Super Fusion! Bonds That Transcend Time"), you couldn't take it seriously. So it was terrible.

It didn't help that the 'ancient race' could map space, time and Giratina's and Arceus' dimensions; the third being only recently discovered and the last one seemingly unknown to everyone but a small few; who haven't told anyone about the coming of an irate, vengeance-driven being with the power to destroy continents for some reason.

Plus the fact that Pikachu (base stats 300) could damage Arceus (base stats 720 + divine abilities) while the Dragon Gods had failed miserably. That's anime physics for you.

And time travel only works when you do it seriously, as in "Star Trek" and even they tried to keep it at a low level. Nintendo obviously didn't do any research into time-travel problems and so it all goes pear-shaped.

What not to say to a group of ancient, xenophobic people who somehow have a Heatran: "We're from the future!"... Also, do not show someone from the past technology that is yet to exist! Plus the fact technically the anime cannot continue from that movie since it never ended.

Think about it.

Present: Arceus comes and rains judgement down on humanity. Ash and co. go back in time to stop Arceus from becoming angry.

Changed Past: Arceus does not become angry due to Ash and co.'s actions.

Changed Present: Arceus does not rain judgement down on humanity. Ash and co. do not go back in time.

Past: Without Ash and co., Arceus is betrayed and seeks to return and destroy humanity.

Present: Arceus comes and rains judgement down on humanity. Ash and co. go back in time to stop Arceus from becoming angry.

Technically, Ash and co. are now stuck in a permanent temporal loop. That's one possible, unexpected ending to the series.

Archived