Death Note

I really don't understand how anyone can think Death Note has a lot of violence. Sure, a lot of people die, but it's almost all from people pressing a magic heart-attack button. Compared to the stuff that this ran alongside in Jump, where people were stabbing each other with katanas that were on fire or something like that in every issue, Death Note may as well be pacifistic despite its high body count - the core of the series is the mindgames anyhow.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did like the way L got around it' date=' though what happened between that and the day he died was rubbish.

[/quote']

There was no third movie. That never happened. L spent his last twenty-three days eating cake.

I know. But you reminding me that makes me laugh uncontrollably and eventually choke. really, I never heard something that funny since 2 months ago.

Guest Supreme Gamesmaster

I didn't mean that Death Note isn't violent (which it isn't, for reasons stated above); I meant that violence doesn't improve a series on its own.

If you think there's alot of violence' date=' go and see what Beyond did in the novel, he gorged a child's eyes out, cut off someone's arm and leg to make them like a clock and set fire to himself. Now he knows how to murder. Light is a cheat.

[/quote']Let me get this straight. You've finally found a good quality about Light — that he generally doesn't force people to die in horrifically painful and gruesome ways, just so long as they die at all — and you finally find someone more vile and psychopathic, and you decide to say, "Now he knows how to murder?" Evil =/= good, mon ami. It's elementary.

Well Beyond just changed cause of Death, Light changed Time and Cause. I wonder how many innocent victims got caught up in his game, how was he to know how many people were innocent of the crime convicted for? (In Beyond and L's war the only victim was Misora, in the war between Light and L including L's Heirs how many were innocent victims?)

I guess reading the narrative Mello gives in the Novel, I can really see how much of a cheat Light is, the people don't have a chance to fight back, and advert death, with Beyond they couldn't avoid death for the pure fact their number was up.

Guest Supreme Gamesmaster

What, pray tell, is the point in killing people if their time is already up? Light has the excuse that he was trying to kill people and get something done; Beyond just changes the cause of death to something horrific for the lulz.

My point is that they're both horrible, evil monsters who really shouldn't have Death Notes.

Beyond doesn't have a Death Note, just the Shingami eyes. He changes the cause of Death as a Challenge to L. The combination of the Shingami Eyes (he knew when his parents would die), being reminded of Death everyday and the pressure of being L's backup (maybe even seeing the problems A encountered of being the first child. A killed himself). Without the Death Note he cannot change time of Death like Light. For Beyond its personal, he wanted to make L chase his ghost, while he himself had died as the 4th victim (he created a locked room in the other's to make his not look a suicide)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Death Note was the first manga that I've read back-to-back because I was so into it. I usually just buy a manga, then go to another series, then back to the original series, etc. But I couldn't do that with Death Note. I was much more involved in it.

Miranda, let me barrow that book of yours so I can read it, 'kay? ;3

Archived